Before & After Tree Care

My region is truly the home of bad tree work. I regret setting up shop here a lot.

You could look at it the other way around- your area is ripe for you to educate folks to the right way of doing trees; you have no competition from tree guys who do the job right.

I always walk away from topping jobs. I refuse to allow my name to be associated with hack work, which might be why I'm booked 2 weeks out as a subcontractor while lots of guys are sitting on their thumbs with no work. Anybody can do it wrong, but if they want it done right they wait for me. It took me a long time to build my reputation and I'm not risking it for one crappy topping job.

Fi don't top. I don't lop side. I don't lion's tail. I don't knock anyone that does. I don't like those practices, so I don't do them. If someone wants the work, more power to them. I've stayed pretty busy over the years being able to do work that I am pleased with when I am finished. Why add work that I don't stand behind?

Cory, you have a good point. Back in the 80s, a man named Ike Olson owned a large and successful tree company that dominated the area. He sold people on top quality work at fair market value. My customers still praise his name regularly. His measurable success was built on quality tree care. I believe it can be done again with enough time. Most of the companies in this area are owned by older men in the same age group that are getting ready to wrap things up. There are no other young men my age starting out on their own here. I think in the next 5 to 10 years I will have a stronger hand in persuading people in the area.

Education is the key. And the desire to fight thru the bad customers. I've talked myself blue in the face about no topping. Only to ride by a few days later and hacks are us are butchering the hell out of them. I always stop and get a highquality photo with something for scale, just for education down the road.

What a dirty sob, I'm being. The general public doesn't have a clue what it takes to do this job and do it well. I always applaud my fellow arborist when I see quality and character being displayed.

Trees have been around forever w/o our help. I don't think the desires of a ignorant homeowner is gonna wipe them out anytime soon.

Know whut I mean? :drink:

Chris, I am very similar in my methods. I don't know how many times I have talked folk out of work, or said call me next year. In the long run, those folks know your a quality outfit, send referrals your way and become faithful clients. Keep it up8)

Heres a before and after from a few years back

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/DIWejTYxV74" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This one looked like a task to clean out ...

attachment.php

A properly done reduction is the pinnacle of what we do, IMO. Balancing tree need with homeowner needs. And those that can perform them sans buckets are master climbers. It is not easy balancing a canopy without a lift as its all tip work. Though I've done some of my best reductions out of a lift, climbing reductions are far more difficult.

Beautiful work John Shutler, I like your style. I agree canadian, well done reduction work is some of the most enjoyable (and difficult) part of tree work. Here's a photo from a large silk oak I did about a week or two back.

silkoakbefore.jpg silkoakafter.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think it looks natural in the first pic, but much better in the second :)

Great work Dylan! I am sure the customer was happy to drive up to such a change.

Hey, I just got the camera yesterday. Now I have to go and read the manual :|:

Oh, and the HO's called when they got home. I wasn't able to finish the birch in the back because I had to run home and watch the kiddos for the wife to go to work. They love it!

Back