A little before and after. This tree was slated for removal by PG&E contractors. But the folks living here convinced them they want to keep it and would have me remove the mistletoe and any hazard limbs. See how she holds. Blackberries and a creek under it.
This was a new to me event we rectified (hopefully) today. Seems we have a mouse infestation at this account. 3 year old install got chewed up on the main line. Initial visit on the call, I found mouse droppings though I was looking for squirrel and rat. Turns out, they have wood bins on the patio the mice seem to like to nest in. Sure 'nough... some Tree Guard in the nest. Mapped their little road way. Researching some sort of natural deterrent, and under Rob's suggestion from chicken farm experience, we made a tobacco tea. Soaked the cabling in it for 24 hours and dried it. Filled some spray bottles. Rodents don't much care for tobacco residue and nicotine is pretty damn toxic. Hopefully this and cutting out their little highway to the roof will fix the little buggers. Dealing with nature lovers here, so killing little momma and baby mice is not an option. Sure enough, she showed me a new nest in the wood bin, new cushions for the chairs are on order and after the babies get bigger and rehomed to the woods, the wood bins are goner. Some fodder. You can see why the limbs cabled are important to the deck (two stories up) ambience. The Valley Oak, Quercus lobata, is 48" approx DBH and about 85' tall. I know I need my 200 foot rope with a basal tie SRT to work it. Some nice callousing going on as well on some of the older pruning cuts, 4 years maybe.
Some of it is keeping up with the Joneses. I did an install for a neighbor, they lijed my work. They consider drilling holes invasive. The tree IMO will do better with our mono winds and snow with a more dynamic system like installed. Allow it to move some.
We'll see how it all pans out.