Axe

That Gransfors double bit throwing axe is calling your name, Jeff. :D.
Better you than me, cause I don't think my wifey shares the enthusiasm.

Those high grade competition broad axes are sharp enough to shave with .When they had the east coast Stihl timbersports preliminary in Lima Ohio several years ago I saw Arden Couger Jr drive one into white pine 7 inchs deep .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ok, so here is something I didn't think about, There are different shape axe heads from different areas of the country for their particular type of wood. What about bevels? Will a 20 degree bevel that works great on pine have a problem with oak? I dont plan on cutting Oak with an axe, but it got me to thinking. Would you rather swing a 5lb head on a 30 inch handle, or a 3.5 lb head on a 36 inch handle?? I guess alot is just preference, but what do yall think?

It is about build.
Smaller guys should use a lighter axe. For falling, the length of the handle depends on your biuld. Trial and error, till you find out what works for you.
According to the old guy who taught me, if you plan to cut as a two man team, make sure you both use axes of the same weight.

He said it was frustrating as hell to try to keep a rythm going for chopping, if the guy across from you is using a different axe.

Ok, so here is something I didn't think about, There are different shape axe heads from different areas of the country for their particular type of wood. What about bevels? Will a 20 degree bevel that works great on pine have a problem with oak? I dont plan on cutting Oak with an axe, but it got me to thinking. Would you rather swing a 5lb head on a 30 inch handle, or a 3.5 lb head on a 36 inch handle?? I guess alot is just preference, but what do yall think?

You'll just have to get a few more axes to add to your collection.

That makes perfect sense Stig. I wish I could have watched those old guys work, My family is from Northern Michigan, and alot of them worked in the woods back in the day. My Grand dad used to tell me about guys running a cross buck or chopping in really cold weather. He said they would end up taking there shirts off cause they were sweating so hard. I can not imagine standing in a snowbank with my shirt off cutting trees! Of course I cant imagine standing in a snow bank at all, I was born and raised in Texas, and we dont have snow banks.
Jeff

I think I might have dropped one or two small trees in my life time with an axe .That was in my younger more foolish days .An axe is a good splitter but not the best method of felling unless you want some exercise .You'll get more than you bargained for .

That would sure be alot more fun then going to the gym. I hate the gym!!

There's some merit to that .Just a matter of fact and not bragging I could hit a baseball a country mile in high school .I really think that power swing came from wielding an axe splitting firewood .

Quite frankly swinging an axe and a ball bat it's not all about power because timing of the swing is really where the power comes from .It's all about which portion of the swing to turn the power on more than anything .

That's a nice looking tool, Andrew. Here, we would call a short handled chopping tool like that a "hatchet"...an axe would have a longer handle, more like 26 to 32 inches, though specialty felling axes for driving wedges often are 24 to 26 inches, or even less in some cases.

How much does the head weigh? Lovely shape.

That's a nice looking tool, Andrew. Here, we would call a short handled chopping tool like that a "hatchet"...an axe would have a longer handle, more like 26 to 32 inches, though specialty felling axes for driving wedges often are 24 to 26 inches, or even less in some cases.

How much does the head weigh? Lovely shape.

How heavy head can not say, but the weight with a handle is 1100 grams. I also love the graceful shapes ... :)
Price - $ 94 ...

Back