Axe

maggies dad

TreeHouser
I guess I have too much time sitting around lately, I have decided that I want a good axe. I don't mean a high dollar home depot special, I. Mean a very sharp, well made, sure enough axe. I have my great grandpa's old axe, I don't remember the make, but it was made around 1900. I would like a real wood cutting axe, that I can limb with and cut down the occasional tree when I feel froggy. Any ideals, what do y'all have, surely some of y'all have a thing for quality axes.
Thanks,
Jeff

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think I really want a John Neeman axe, but they don't seem to be taking orders right now. I think I want about a 28 in handle, single bit, with a Michigan style head. I guess I am returning to my childhood. My Granddad would take me out to the woods on his farm in Northern Michigan and give me a little axe and poin to a tree and say" cut it down" then we will have lunch. I would chop and chop till the tree would fall over and then we would go back to the house and eat lunch and take a nap. I sure miss those days? The best part was picking blueberries , and strawberries while we walked home for lunch!

Gathered up a couple here.
Two of my favourites shown are an Australian Hytest, and the smaller Iltis oxehead beside it.

image.jpg image.jpg

Pelorus, That is a really nice collection! Love the Australian Hytest!! that is cool. What do you think of a straight handle in a felling axe? I really never have liked the American felling axe handles. I am alittle unsure of what weight I would like, I want something with enough weight to fell a tree well, but not just super heavy.
Thanks for sharing your collection!
Jeff

Thanks Jeff.
I keep an ole beater axe handy when I have to cut stumps low, but the rest of them really don't get used. Nice just to have them around, and to get passed down to another generation. (Anyone been watching the Vikings mini series on TV? They took their axe work kinda serious :O

Straight handles on some of em are cause I was too lazy to carve up some proper ones, and too cheap to spring for store-bought. ;)
You should be able to find an Iltis pretty easy, and they are easy on a wallet. Probably too light for what you want, but an excellent quality axe. The Hytest has a head weight of around 5 1/2 lb - they used to get used in competitions back in the '70's / 80's, but I dunno if the company is even around anymore.

Here is a great video by John Neeman for those of you who arent familiar with his work. Fantastic:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Esn0_eR9lnQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You are right, Neeman isnt taking orders because their video (edit: the one on vimeo) went viral and they were overwhelmed. Here are a couple of other people who make and sell hand made hand tools.

http://victoraxe.com/gallery/

http://www.gransfors.com/htm_eng/index.html

http://www.wetterlings.se/the/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=88&Itemid=57

I have been looking at the Gransfors and Wetterlings, and really like em both! I have thought about cleaning up my Great Grand dads axe and useing it, but if I lost it I would be sick! Wish I had a forge, I would love to learn how to make a quality axe. Who still falls with an axe?? I sure wouldn't have to go to the gym if I would use one more!

I have been looking at the Gransfors and Wetterlings, and really like em both! I have thought about cleaning up my Great Grand dads axe and useing it, but if I lost it I would be sick! Wish I had a forge, I would love to learn how to make a quality axe. Who still falls with an axe?? I sure wouldn't have to go to the gym if I would use one more!
Bonner, we carry firemen axes on all our trucks, as well as regular axes. I have never found a use for the pick on the back of a firemens axe. I know there is one, I just have no Ideal what it is.
They do look pretty cool though, and all the kids get excited when you carry one into a building or on a fire.

What's the purpose of this?

fireaxe6.jpg

Yep, when you carry a axe and a Halligan it's called carrying the Irons. The Halligan is about the most used tool on the truck cause you can do about anything with it. We carry it with a axe for forcible entry, and for tearing apart about anything you can think of. In the above pic the end that is on the axe has a big "nail Puller" and that can be used for prying a door, as can the adz part up top. I use the pick for the most part when I have to get up on a roof to ventilate.{cut a hole to let smoke and super heated gas out} if the roof is steep, you punch the pick thru the roof to give your foot something to keep you from sliding down. You can also use them for tearing out walls to find fire extention, and I have seen them thrown from a roof of a high rise with a rope attached so they can swing them into a window and break it for ventilation. When you use the halligan to force entry you use the axe to strike it so you can get it in far enough to pry it open . I did some training awhile back where we simulated being out of air in a fire building and we had to go thru a cinder block wall as fast as possible. I made it thru in 1 min and 42 sec using a halligan. The irons are also great if you dont have the "jaws of life" you can dismantile a car pretty quick if you just use it in the right spots.

Pelorus, I had not seen those particular axes before, those are pretty nice! I may have to take a closer look, wonder if they would send me one to try out in the name of the "fire fighter brotherhood" !!!

Yep, they usually have a strap around they to keep them together, It also leaves one hand free to carry what ever else you need.

Yep, when you carry a axe and a Halligan it's called carrying the Irons. The Halligan is about the most used tool on the truck cause you can do about anything with it. We carry it with a axe for forcible entry, and for tearing apart about anything you can think of. In the above pic the end that is on the axe has a big "nail Puller" and that can be used for prying a door, as can the adz part up top. I use the pick for the most part when I have to get up on a roof to ventilate.{cut a hole to let smoke and super heated gas out} if the roof is steep, you punch the pick thru the roof to give your foot something to keep you from sliding down. You can also use them for tearing out walls to find fire extention, and I have seen them thrown from a roof of a high rise with a rope attached so they can swing them into a window and break it for ventilation. When you use the halligan to force entry you use the axe to strike it so you can get it in far enough to pry it open . I did some training awhile back where we simulated being out of air in a fire building and we had to go thru a cinder block wall as fast as possible. I made it thru in 1 min and 42 sec using a halligan. The irons are also great if you dont have the "jaws of life" you can dismantile a car pretty quick if you just use it in the right spots.

I just learned some good stuff there. Thank you. :)

Flushcut, From what I have been reading the competition axes are ground to fine to use for every day type chopping. From what I have found a "using" axe is supposed to be around 20-25 degrees. I am not axe expert, this is just what I have found. There is a really cool video on youtube by the US forest service called An axe to grind. It is pretty long but goes into great detail about all kinds of axes and how to maintain them. It's a good watch if you have the time.

Yes but I also believe they made a working competition axe of the same size and heft albiet a different grind. For what it's worth Gransfors are about the finest axes you can buy, my buddy has one and it is a prue joy to chop with.

Flushcut, I think I am about sold on a Gransfors. I have heard nothing but good about them. Now I just have to decide which one I want. I am so excited!!!!!

Back