Anyone near Winston Salem?

Ehhh. I have outside cats for rodent control. I have two outside(barn) and two inside/outside cats and we have tons of birds around still.

Im 30. I should be doing cartwheels. I will again. I need to get a tune up and go in the stable and eat some oats.

Ha! Good old school sentiment, way to go!

There's been a Dr. on the radio here lately advertising his new book, the premise of which is don't baby your bad back, it makes it worse. He says a bad back should be approached like headache or a cold, something that is absolutely temporary so it should be dealt with accordingly. He says don't treat a bad back like you have something permanently wrong with your body cuz most of the time that just isn't the case and reacting to it like that will just make it worse. I basically agree with all that. You shouldn't do things that directly hurt it cuz that will make it take longer to heal, but just keep going with it best as you can and try to use it properly and strengthen it when it is feeling better. Maybe all easier said than done, but that's the basic idea.:drink:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Uhhhhhhhhh. Thats a double edge sword there. Im in the diagnosis process and am awaiting MRI (insurance wont pay for it until youve exhausted cheaper options). Im not treating anything like normal until we see what the eaxact issue is. I can understand his theory, but undiagnosed in the thoracic region, Id be out of my mind not to be cautious until futher notice.

So they did X-rays? CT scan? What's the hold up? My MRI followed My first X-ray. Which was followed by an immediate trip to a neurosurgeon. I chose an Orthopedic surgeon in the end, but there was minimal hold up.

Just x rays. Dont know what the hold up is. Im working on that.....

Northeast PA is not known for world class medicine. Im not even on pain meds. Not that Im trying to roll down that road, but Im sick of rolling on the floor with tears streaming down my face at bed time.

Did the cat come down yet? Our neighbors cats (multiple) go up and down the redwood in front of our 2nd story kitchen window every day. We've watched them get birds in the canopy. One of the cats goes down backwards, it's pretty cool to watch. It leads me to believe all cats could get down if they really wanted to.

They sneak through those branches and are hidden by the foliage. It doesn't bother me to watch them kill birds....that's just the way it is. But it pisses Jerry off. He tries to scare off the victims before the cat strikes. I find it to be all part of nature. Why take their claws off? That's kinda mean, like removing a persons fingernails.

I'm with Jerry!

Domesticated cats have no business killing anything but vermin, and birds aren't vermin. Most of the time they kill just to kill, they don't eat them nor do they have the need to.

It's more than removing the claw. It's a complete amputation at the third knuckle.

Declawing is a horrible thing to do to cats. I don't remember details but it affects a lot of biological responder or something...

Ha! Good old school sentiment, way to go!

There's been a Dr. on the radio here lately advertising his new book, the premise of which is don't baby your bad back, it makes it worse. He says a bad back should be approached like headache or a cold, something that is absolutely temporary so it should be dealt with accordingly. He says don't treat a bad back like you have something permanently wrong with your body cuz most of the time that just isn't the case and reacting to it like that will just make it worse. I basically agree with all that. You shouldn't do things that directly hurt it cuz that will make it take longer to heal, but just keep going with it best as you can and try to use it properly and strengthen it when it is feeling better. Maybe all easier said than done, but that's the basic idea.:drink:
Well I reckon that doctor is FOS just trying to sell a book. A bad back just describes pain in the back, it could be due to a myriad of reasons. Many very serious indeed. You don't just shake off a prolapsed disc.

Maybe that doctor figures that by saying that all bad backs can be cured by use, which i interpret to mean stretching, he is thinking that at least it will help the ninety percent or so that can be remedied that way. Not fair to the ones that will get worse by what he says.

Bad back? What does that mean? If I said bad leg, you'd ask what's exactly wrong with your leg?....not "oh yeah bad leg, keep using it"

I run across a lot of people with bad backs, watch a rice farmer in his field and you can easily get an idea of why they suffer. Less now with modern mechanization, and you hardly see the ones anymore that are permanently bent over at the waist in an L shape, but there still can be a lot of bending over. The bent over people get sore necks as well, having to look up all the time, or else they are staring at the ground. When I ask the ones that complain if they stretch, they all say no. Certainly not a cure all, but for many it might be. Riding a bike seems to really help my back by stretching. Riding does not help a sore leg.

I wonder if those things you throw on the ground and they mildly explode would work in a slingshot. A couple of those in the general direction of a cat would convince it to stay out of those trees. They wouldn't explode if they directly hit the cat. It has to be a good solid throw and hit a good solid object. Although if you hit the cat it would do the job as well.

Strange thread, two completely different things going on.
My old dad spent weeks laying flat on his back in the front room in proper agony from a prolapsed disc, I can imagine his reaction if told to stretch more!

Cats are a predator by nature. They cant be faulted for what comes natural. Birds are cute, but it isnt reasonable to expect a cat to decipher cute song birds from other animals that we as humans label as vermin. Cats can be ruthless predators though. Here in PA, feral cats are found to be the number one predator of rabbits. Or so I was told.

The cat is still in the tree. A climber came and the cat scampered out on a limb, and the climber gave up. Maybe lazy or unskilled climber? I cant say. Personally, I'd knock a cat off a limb. They can land safely from many stories high.

I cant understand why the climber couldnt get the cat. Its a white oak tree. With an extra tie in or two, I cant see much of a white oak being out of reach. Especially with a pole hook.

Most people with bad backs today have sedentary jobs.
The study showed that babying those " Bad backs" that had their origin in lack of muscle tone, particularly core musculature, was a bad idea.
Better to eat some pain killers and get back to work and then start an exercise programme.

Chris's pain stems from an injury which happened to a well trained body, that is a whole nother ball game.

25 years ago the preferred treatment for prolapsed discs was rest and being stretched, today an exercise regimen tailored specifically for that is prescibed.

Medicine changes, guys.
We don't cure migraine headaches by whacking a hole in the scull with a piece of flint to let the bad vapours out, or by setting leaches anymore.
At least not here in commieland.

Or in other words, what I was trying to say was, read the frigging book, before you start putting it down:lol:

Back