Know anyone that wants to drag brush for TreeCareLA??

U funny Jim ! ...me too , out of my territory. Nick in your market there's probably loads of guys at the nearest Coffee to the Home Depot waiting for work every day.

Kudos to you Nick for creating an ad that is well written and professional.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
... there's probably loads of guys at the nearest Coffee to the Home Depot....
Yeah...we want NOT those guys. I need someone that can be professional.

Kudos to you Nick for creating an ad that is well written and professional.
Thanks. That would be our office manager's doing (aka Karina aka my wife). She's super professional like that!

Yes the listed pay rate is low. The only folks we're finding in LA are not anyone that is looking for a career in tree care...nor is it anyone who has done it before. I can't justify paying someone $20/hr, then having to show them how to feed brush into a chipper. Maybe I should open up the range to show we WOULD pay that much...but I don't want joe schmoe coming in off the street thinking I'm going to pay him $17/hr to do something he's never done before.

A Hydro One supervisor (who used to operate a tree biz) I met in line at a Tim Hortons (donuts, coffee) had an interesting strategy for acquiring help: find a really good worker who is employed at another company. Make them an offer they can't refuse, ie. couple bucks an hour more than they are currently making, benefits, etc.
His rationale was that they, ie. the new hire you just poached from the other company are gonna make you back that extra dough you are forking out. They are a hard worker who has already been trained on someone else's dime, etc.
Seemed a tad unethical to me, but mebbe that is how the corporate world operates.

$15/ hour for a hard worker WITH A DRIVERS LICENSE, seems like the minimum for LA. I pay that to start. If Day 1 doesn't look like its worth it...next contestant.

You're asking that they put themselves in a situation where they could be "struck by" (number one cause of death in tree work), eaten by a chipper, be responsible for driving in LA, etc. Also, you're asking them to be a US citizen or green-card carrying (LEGAL), handle chemicals, and be a fluent English speaker.

You might try them at $14-15 as a hire-on wage, with the expectations that to hold the job, they learn X,Y,Z by the end of week one, A,B, C by the end of week three, and P,D, Q to earn a $0.50/ hour raise, then S and T to bump up another 50 cents/ hour.

X, safe basic operation of the chipper,
Y, Call and Respond if going into the drop zone
Z, Pass your IN-HOUSE DRIVERS' TEST...THIS IS IMPORTANT TO HAVE (per Dr. John Ball, I think). I can email you mine, if you want. This supercedes the driver's license. This covers inspections, stopping distance, company policies, etc.

$11-13 per hour sounds like the guys at HD.

Pay more to get better applicants, hire the right guy/ gal on a trial period. Lame employees suck time, energy, motivation, and cause things to get broken or lost.

I have a hard time working with schmucks. Rather do it my self (mentally, but not my shoulder). Headaches distract me from not killing myself.

If you ever see a busboy hustling to clean tables (or some other type work), consider striking up a conversation with them.

How long have you been working here? Have you ever considered working outdoors vs. indoors?

If they show hustle and initiative with their inside job, they just might work hard for you too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does not fit your add exactly Nick, nor probably your listed pay but, may well fit your real needs. My wife just met/spoke to a Vet from the Vietnam war that volunteers at an organization which helps returning Marine vets find jobs and settle back into life etc..

Hope all is well with you.

$15/ hour for a hard worker WITH A DRIVERS LICENSE, seems like the minimum for LA. I pay that to start. If Day 1 doesn't look like its worth it...next contestant.

You're asking that they put themselves in a situation where they could be "struck by" (number one cause of death in tree work), eaten by a chipper, be responsible for driving in LA, etc. Also, you're asking them to be a US citizen or green-card carrying (LEGAL), handle chemicals, and be a fluent English speaker...

True. It's a fine line. I'm also competing against companies that are paying their climbers 12/hr off the books. I'm already one of the higher priced companies out here. If I have 2 guys making $15 instead of $11, that comes out to approx $150/day I gotta charge to break even on the deal. And this is where the balance is- do those properly paid guys end up paying for themselves?

Factoring workers comp, payroll taxes, over head, health insurance after a few months $11/hr end up costing TreeCareLA a ton.

But if dude came in already knowing how to drag, chip, chainsaw, etc...of COURSE they'd start higher.

We provide new hires a "ground crew check list." Learn these ten things get another $1/hr. Learn THESE ten things and get ANOTHER $2/hr. I could see someone learning these things in 90 days and making $14-15/hr not long after starting.

love
nick

I'd check at like Pierce College.. Bet there is an ag student that would like the opportunity. Check the boards.
Hell, I would love to just come down for a bit and play with ya. Do some city trees I can fit in a truck :lol:

I believe in the benchmarks laid out for a raise. It shows who is a self-motivated person who wants more, and will learn it to earn it. I'd mention it in the ad.

Are you competing with those $12 off the books companies, or are they in your market?

I am competing with them. Daily. Often times have to explain to people why my rates are double other companies. It sucks. I tell them "I don't pay workers comp to protect ME. I pay it to protect YOU."

love
nick

Doesn't seem like much competition. You are two different types of operations, unless they have CAs offering tree and palm "care".

I bid sorta high on a huge removal that I didn't want to necessarily do, with buried utilities just barely out of the planned drop. $3600. They got a bid for $1400. The other company had to have broken even, at best. I don't consider that competition. I wouldn't consider that your competition, either. That's someone going to be out of business if they keep bidding that way.

Careful, safe tree companies that actually do tree care have a hard time competing with removal companies that burn through employees, for removals.

I think you set yourself apart from removal companies.

Are you doing more removals now, with the chipper and truck?

Are you getting any bites on the ad?

FWIW, this is my ad, ATM. Not many responses. Got a guy who is wanting to become a CA, and has passed a lesser State level certification in OK. Going to meet with him soon.

EXPERIENCED GROUNDMAN/ WOMAN. Arborist/ tree service (greater Olympia)

© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap
(google map)

compensation: DOE $12-18/ hour

Searching for a QUALITY/ EXPERIENCED ARBORIST'S ASSISTANT/ GROUND WORKER for local company owned by an ISA-Certified Arborist.

Climbing experience desired, not required. Proper pruning experience desired, not required. The more skills you have the more work you can get and higher wage you can earn.

We specialize in low impact, high quality work, from pruning storm damage and tricky end-weight reduction pruning on huge conifers, to orchard/ fruit tree pruning in the winter, to crane-assisted or rope-rigging removals of all sizes.

We focus on technical rigging and labor saving techniques and machines over brute strength and get'er done. YES, it's still physically and mentally challenging work.

Can you be a skilled part of a well-orchestrated work plan? Can you dependably adapt to the constantly changing environment that is a tree work site? Can you safely and dependable work in all weather conditions? Can you speak up to keep the team safe?

If you come well-versed and trainable, there is a lot of room for professional skill development and training. Wanting a professional groundworker not a 'helper'.

Clean Driving Record and valid WA State Driver's License required.

There will be practical skills testing at interviews.

Please give some details about skills, techniques, past work history, etc. If you contacted us before, and didn't hear back, please give more details. Too many generic responses.

Please include your personal email address. The Craigslist email expires after a time.

I am competing with them. Daily. Often times have to explain to people why my rates are double other companies. It sucks. I tell them "I don't pay workers comp to protect ME. I pay it to protect YOU."

love
nick

What parts sucks, exactly? Aren't your weeding out the customers who don't want what YOU have to offer, in a way. You aren't offering the same service. Worker's comp isn't protecting them so much as General Liability.

Keeping them from the potential trauma of having someone die at their house, or screaming in agony when seriously injured, because of running a tight ship and a safe show is worth it to good customers.

I do throw out some true stories, like how my past customer went with someone else (tweekers), unlicensed, 4 people for a one man/ two man job, from what I could tell by stump forensics and the HOs story (just don't dump the rotten alder into the crotch of the maple (where the chunk is still lodged). So they barely get it done, badly. The guy goes into cardiac arrest in the HOs driveway. One of the 2 guys' 'women' who were helping, admits the guys a tweeker, as the EMTs load him into the ambulance to go off, to a fate unknown. Same HO was baffled how we rigged out rotten alders, and a solid one over his garage without screaming and carrying on. Almost like we know what we were doing, and communicating with comm units (he didn't know that part until after, he just though my guy was just really well-trained). Smooth sailing.

There's Andy who's thumb I had to bandage to get to the hospital (using an ms 250, single handed, in the bucket), who later, when working one-handed, I had to stop from getting eaten by the chipper, pushing things in with his foot. Same company had a guy fall from the tree.

The job is not just to move tree parts around, its giving the customer peace of mind during the operation, and that tweekers aren't 'casing' the place to more 'removal work' at a later date.

I know I charged more that a crew like that would for removing the same tree. The HO recommends me.

Sometimes, sometimes, like another customer who went elsewhere for a cheaper prices on a hollow hemlock, said they'd save the money next time and hire me again. They said the tree didn't hit anything like their house, but didn't exactly go as planned.

Are you doing more removals now, with the chipper and truck?

Are you getting any bites on the ad?

We don't do many removals. Maybe 1-2/month. I'm fine with that. I don't wanna be a removal company.

We have approx 20 applicants from the ad plus another 20 more from a little Treestuff experiment.

love
nick

Back