Adventures with Apprentices

Lol i have the volume turned off on my phone by habit, i just saw that he tied it correctly so I posted it. Obviously it's normally tied in a whole length of rope, not just a little section. Ironworkers are a different breed, not always the sharpest knife in the drawer :lol: Here's a few good ones to tell your buddy:

Q: what do you call an ironworker walking?
A: The chimes of ignorance

Q: what 2 things fall from the sky?
A: bird shit and ironworkers

Kyle, that stuff will not work, here.
Knowing you has made us all aware of how smart ironworkers can be.
Hate to say this, but old "Bob" has done his part in that, too.

Goes to show, you can be a political moron, but still have a lot of work smarts.
Yep, that one was for you, "Bob" :D

Stig, both Bob and i are pipefitters. In the trades here in the us, having jokes about the other trades is quite possibly the most important thing you can learn as an apprentice :D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah those are tall boys for suburbia in any other place than the PNWet. That's my ironworker friend on his first 2 removal ever at his own house. I can give him a ribbing about not listening because 99% of the time he does what is right. I have never let him endanger others or himself. He really is squared away. There were 3 trees there originally 2 Western Hemlock and 1 Douglas Fir still standing on the far right.

I've seen that drawing before, but didn't realize how much WTF it contained. I always fixated on the studs, and didn't notice the rest.

I think the studs are the only impossible part as the drawing is incomplete for a 3D object. The other 2 should be possible, but very distorted looking.

I hope you guys aren't talking about my crude drawing. Hahaha.
Your drawing looks good. Your "crude" drawing would be my finest attempt at art. I get a hard time at work for the sketches I bring in. The correct information is there, but it looks like shit.

Has anyone else used this "hinge stay" technique for heavy side lean in areas where the potential of hinge "miscalculation" is unacceptable. Maybe I'm mediocre at best but I have found that if the trunk dia. is insufficient for fancy cuts or the tree is compromised or is of a poor quality fiber for hinging this "hinge extension" reduces the sensitivity or ease of making critical errors.

I know that guys have used it before, but I really was sold on it when I saw a crew taking down rigging on a sailboat and I guess that they overlooked a starboard shroud. The step of the mast was a ball and socket type giving no directional hinge just a mere pivot but with that shroud "hinge stay" that mast fell perfectly fore to aft. I was sold the tension is nearly constant if the peak tie-in, hinge, and stay anchor remain in the same plane.

Last edited:
Yes, use it a lot on leaners that the hinge could possibly fail to the side lean. Positioned properly, the tensionedguy line can even help swing the tree into the lay once the guy hits full tension with the anchor point pivoting the slight swing. Angle of the dangle and all that. Use it especially on the dead ponderosa up here as you may not have a ton of hinge wood to work with. Just extra insurance when needed.

To original scenario (after stealing Blacksmith pic)
Clove is a continuous direction crossed turns on host,
Of "Double Bearing" , so can accommodate some side loading/ doesn't require right angle grab to host.
Can walk like doubled version: 2/2 Taut Line that needs mechanical stop/stopper.
These pull at side tho.
So even if double Half Hitch Clove to Standing Part as stopper strategy distorts Clove strength by pulling more from center, so problematic .
i favor choker sling, Cow + 2Half Hitches, Round Turn + 2. But not Clove w/o Half Hitch preceding and dbl.stopper chaser to get stop and center pull w/o distorting Clove.
Continuous turns want to walk or tighten to stopper.
Backhand Hitch type : Cow (both legs thru off host crossing of Backhand Turn) walk less due to counter torque(theory) but still should be stopped 2xHalf Hitches, and don't tighten as hard to this backstop. Choker is closed Cow w/o stopper. Even inwards Clove type continuous half's after a turn on host (Buntline) tighten harder as thet walk than similar 'innie' opposing halfs (Lobster Buoy).
Right angle pull on anchor/rail or HORIZONTALLY hanging load, is the ONLY single/simple angle of pull, and only type pull that should get simplest, single arc on host opposing load pull. Any other projected angle of pull is then complex by comparison, and as like should get at least 2arcs on host directly opposing load pull direction as a compound/non-single/more complex solution allowance to a complexities angle pull beyond simplest right angle.

Back