8.9 magnitude earthquake in Japan!

That is pretty big news here currently, Paul. An international team of big shot experts from the IAEA is over here now to take a look at things.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
J, it should be big news in a lot of places, just seems its lost its shine, at least here in north america on the news outlets I happen upon.

Tornadoes and Arnie these days which is still death and scandal, just with a different face.

I find it ironic, that while the three reactors were in a state of meltdown, one of the worst scenarios for those devices, the news coming from the power company was that there was no cause for worry.

People are, especially those that have had to evacuate. The way the company handled the situation is getting a stern look over. It isn't all that surprising the way things developed, from what appears to have been the arrogant attitude of the company related to incidents in the past, and the general way that they have operated. Rather a wealthy outfit too, rubbing shoulders with law makers. Trying to save a few bucks and face, seems to have been their response over safety, and it has cost them dearly along with the whole country.

Tsunami dash-cam...amazing footage:

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IQqmp9OOE1E&rel=0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IQqmp9OOE1E&rel=0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

Yu Muroga was doing his job making deliveries when the 11 March 2011 earthquake hit in Japan. Unaware, like many people in the area, of how far inland the Tsunami would travel, he continued to drive and do his job. The HD camera mounted on his dashboard captured not only the earthquake, but also the moment he and several other drivers were suddenly engulfed in the Tsunami. He escaped from the vehicle seconds before it was crushed by other debris and sunk underwater. His car and the camera have only recently been recovered by the police. The camera was heavily damaged but a video expert was able to retrieve this footage.

Here is some new footage that I stumbled upon the other day. :(

<iframe width="560" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BAuWa77vYDU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Whoa, I was worried seeing this thread bumped.

All vehicles in tsunsmi/flood prone areas outta have a float kit option.

I wonder where all those car owners where? I saw a couple...

There is a bit of an exodus away from residing by the sea now. Once is enough for people who lucked out and survived, and other folks don't want to have the remote possibility of a first time in their future.

Great pictures.
Life goes on. Cleanup is nowhere near complete, but much better under way than I would have expected.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for the link Jay, hard to figure its already 6 months since.

I don't watch mainstream news and so I don't see all of whats going on in the world. Actually most of what I pick up, about what's going on in the world, I get right from this forum.

Back