8.9 magnitude earthquake in Japan!

Jay, I understand completely the feelings of independence and self sufficiency. I'm about as close to being an island as one man can get in the middle of an urban environment. My injury in December only put me down for about 6-7 weeks but the medical costs plus the lack of income brought me uncomfortably close to the bottom of my savings. Without asking, many Treehousers came forward to help me out and get me through a tough time. I can tell you that the feelings of gratitude and the ability to pay all of my bills in a timely manner heavily outweighed the thoughts of 'receiving charity'. It ain't charity, my friend. It's the brotherhood of Treehousers looking out for each other and taking care of our own. Just know that we're here and we're not going anywhere.

That is a great post, Brian, I appreciate it. I don't see anything wrong with accepting help when you need it. Getting back on your feet and self sufficient again, is the best place to be, both for yourself and for the good of everyone around you. I've been through hard times before, like a lot of people....never quite anything like this, but things always improved. I'm hoping it's the yin and yang of life here, something that rectifies itself. The thing about the shop is that I do produce a sort of specialty product, and it isn't something that people can't live without, so it is sort of limiting when things are tight all around. No doubt that there are people still about with money to spend, just needing for them to be less conservative about it.

Paul, sure not closing myself off to any work options, and trying to pay attention to what is going on. Being a foreigner has some liabilities, but if I knew someone that was involved in the reconstruction, it could be an in for me. The country has some funny quirks the way things operate, having a connection is a real big deal in many regards.

A couple months ago I met a German guy who had moved here, he has a wife and young daughter, and carpentry skills. He was looking for a job and whenever he saw a house or whatever under construction, he was stopping in and asking if they needed help, with his wife, a Japanese lady, translating for him. Nothing ever worked out, and it wouldn't the way things are generally done, even if help was needed, unless someone was in an unusual dire situation and he happened to walk in at that very moment. His wife was from an island way down south, had lived abroad for many years, and was out of the loop. He found his way to my shop with his family in tow, and he seemed like a real nice guy who was eager to work and could be of assistance. I called around to some folks I know and got him a job the next day. The downside of that is if he messed up and turned out to be a flake, it would be a real bad reflection upon myself. It's a literal thing, people don't look at it abstractly, the person who recommends has a responsibility in the matter that everyone takes pretty seriously. I guess that to some degree it works like that everywhere, but here, referrals are like a weighty thing. That is how the system has evolved. i think it is pretty interesting, often encourages one to be more social, but you have to be careful too. After the quake he called me and said that they were going to skedaddle down to his wife's island to live, she has family there. I think his best option.

Yesterday, I borrowed a rototiller and started to put in a vegetable garden behind my shop, help to put some food on the table. Funny the way need will motivate.

Heck, I wasn't even a bona fied member of the House before the Elders started a donation thread for me. It made uncertain times a little more comfortable for sure, and much appreciated.

OMG I just watched that Video, Terror unbelievable,
not sure how a person deals with your fine life is cool then an hour later holy shit your whole town is wiped off the map

I'm in, I've already donated 100 bucks to japan relief at the dojo in winter park.

Getting things back to some level of normalcy and the cleanup at the reactor site isn't going too well. They have somewhat stabilized the heat and pressure buildups by improved water pumping, but they have found out that a hole exists in the inner containment vessel in one of the reactors, and possibly in others too. It's something that there has been a lot of speculation and fears about. Likely you don't hear too much on the news in other countries about the situation currently, but I am here to tell you that it is still really messed up and dangerous. These kinds of things don't go away too nicely.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Saw a snippet today about a plant worker collapsing and dieing at the plant, not radiation caused so they say.

Yes, Darin, it's a big problem for some people a long distance from the main quake damage. The type of ground the houses were built on is one factor. Some folks are really suffering, having built and just beginning to pay off loans on new homes that are basically not livable without expensive modifications now. Flooding not only from the sea, bit also from ground water, and the land has settled so that the foundations aren't level anymore. I saw one place, a young guy with his wife and child, where the water is coming into the house through the bath drain. They didn't look happy at all. Apparently, living in a residence that is only a few degrees out of level will really mess you up physiologically and mentally.

Oh it's a freakin mess .The earth quake was bad enough now the reactor thing just magnifies it .

While the peoples of Japan will suffer the most the impact will affect all of us with this "global " economy .

Given enough time things will return to a certain amount of normalicy just like events in California , the hurricanes of the gulf coast of the USA or the massive tidal waves of the Pacific rim countries .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think the media has an agenda and they stick to it no matter who is suffering.

Indeed, like all mass media, the news is about selling advertising, not informing the people of anything important or necessarily factual.

It must be true, because a lot of the immediate news on the situation we don't even hear about over here. Two ways to find out that there have been recent developments, dig for it, or be told that you have fifteen minutes to get out of your house with one bag of belongings.

One cattle farmer was given a short time to go back and retrieve some items from his residence in the radiation zone. :/: He had turned his cattle loose when first evacuating, now there wasn't one there. They had all split to somewhere. Strange ghost towns now, with animals running around. Lots of bodies mixed in with the rubble where the waves came in. Not a pretty postcard.

Back