8.9 magnitude earthquake in Japan!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
My landline and cell carrier just announced (a week after all the other companies) that there is free calling to Japan till march 31. I am supposing thats a pretty common deal at the moment?

how are things Jay?

A little hard to say, John. They tell us that things are looking up, and then soon after say it is going in the other direction again with new steam and smoke. I think that folks have gotten tired of being on the edge of their seats, and now are more sitting back to wait for something definitive. Radioactive iodine and cesium-137 appears to be entering the food chain, shrimp louis might be off the menu for the next hundred years or so.

.....raw shrimp? how is the general mood of folks? two weeks in folks can become numb

As you'd suspect, a lot depends on the situation. There are hundreds of thousands of people living in evacuation centers, places like school gymnasiums. Life for many is uncomfortable, plumbing not adequate, no place to take a shower, etc., only rice balls for food. When the government relief housing gets completed for those with no alternative on where to live, and rebuilding starts for those who can privately, spirits will pick up. That still is quite a ways off however, much still looking for the deceased. Many businesses have been lost as well, some can start up again, others won't be able to. I saw something about a ship builder, his plant a total wipeout, but going through the rubble his computer still appeared intact, was in an upper floor. He nearly wept, saying that all his ship plans were in it, and there was now the good possibility that he could go back to the business again, without the forty years of plans, just no way. One of the luckier ones.

A big if now is the people that have been evacuated from the reactor proximity, also much living in makeshift shelters. They have no idea how the future is going to play out for them, and most have started to live off food drops, as the local produce and seafood is questionable. Many elderly were never relocated, too much risk to their condition by the upheaval. They are living in ghost towns, often pretty much on their own. Kind of a damned if you do and damned if you don't situation.

Though the news is waning on the quake, the poor situation is still very real for many. A lot of uncertainty throughout the country, including in areas far away from the immediate disaster. How this all is going to affect everyone, especially business? It sure is affecting me in a less than desirable way.

Basically none happening as far as furniture, the meetings about the work that I was sure was coming in, were cancelled. Can't blame the people. I did help out on some tree work at a school yesterday, dangerous to have left the trees in their former state, but nothing else lined up. I was supposed to have a woodworking exhibition in June, in an area that didn't suffer. I haven't asked if it is still on, not sure if they even know. Got to do something to remain optimistic, so I have started to work towards it. Trying to live as cheaply as possible, is about all we can do.

Jay, if the need arises, we know how to mobilize the THouse Members Assistance Fund machinery. As with other times, other members, we don't see this as charity, it's an offer of our respect to a friend we admire. PM me should it become necessary, I'll spread the word.

Consider it a repayment of a debt of gratitude, for years of distinguished service. :)

Thanks so much guys, for both the offers of assistance in the open forum, and privately, please know that we are very grateful.

I am not a rich man by any means, but we can live for some months on savings by being careful. My wife and I live a very simple lifestyle, one vehicle, generally walk to go shopping, that kind of thing....lots of taters for dinner.
There are some unavoidable costs, utility charges are high, and I have both shop and home, my residence requires rent. The basic cost of living is quite expensive for essentials, no way around that. If work doesn't come in for more than a few months, I will have to figure something new out. Being optimistic is essential for a lot of people here now, even when the current situation doesn't show much promise. Keep on by keeping on, you know how it goes....

As I say, much appreciate the support and it helps to at least keep it in mind. Some encouragement there. Hope to get through this through my own abilities, if possible. :)

I just wish I could afford your furniture. Someone who makes as beautiful pieces of furniture as you Jay shouldn't have to depend on the charity of others. What about an internet showing of your work Jay? Make a business page on facebook and I will make sure my friends see it.

Thank you, Darin. I already have a website and blog, my blog in English and showing a lot of work.

Have to use my given first name, Dennis, for my business here, the law as applied to a bank account, etc. Jay being my middle name that I like to generally use, least there not be any confusion.

http://dennisyoung-kagu.blogspot.com/

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I just shared it too, via Darins link, that makes about 600 people that may see it. ;)

Back