X Rigging Rings, thoughts

My groundsman is pig headed and doesn't like to learn much :) It takes a while for things to sink in lol Bless him

Damn Benn how does the same groundie work with both of us! Mine gets the hang of one thing and can't understand that it won't work for every situation.

Lol. He does get some things, slowly, like the ability of a zipline to avoid objects. Hes good at that now. Great on the ground doing big trees. Every guy has his pos and negs eh?

Sure, gas I'm assuming? I was speaking to the warn types. I had one on a chipper once but I had to take huge piles to make it worth while

4:1 or 5:1 is little compared to 22:1 or 44:1.

That being said, if you aren't lifting at a maximum, porty solidly attached to the frame, and right-pedal-judicious-power can go along way, if you have the room. Long Island, maybe not so much.

I wonder about a porty and rope for rigging, and a small 12v winch powered by the chipper or truck (mount on frame, maybe) with a lifting line attached to the cable. Inexpensive lifting that would have a shorter ROI, and maybe available cheaply in used but good shape.

Fiddle block and a porty got me by.

Sure. It's done right by me, too.

I don't have a grcs.

You can always piggyback another m:a to multiply the advantages, as well.

I can see how useful a grcs would be on the right trees. Just few of mine.

Storm work is the rub, if you can't wait to order a grcs, you're stuck.

A GRCS really shines on the broadleaf trees in tight quarters. Storm work.. I would say a GRCS or HOBBS is almost mandatory it just makes things go sooo much easier.

This is turning out to be a pretty darn good thread, and all. Such good feed back and resolution without a lot of bickering. The kind of thread I like to read.

All good points. Carry on.

Man, I do o.k, but I only started the climbing stuff about twelve years ago on New England Safety Blue rope, and a ddrt prussic. Learned footlocking and stuff. But I'm 43, man. I just with that I'd have started this stuff in my twenties cause I love this trade. Wish I'd a fallen commercial timber too. Oh, to have had just a few more lives. :lol:

Yea I understand that. I wish i even started to climb when I was younger. But I do pretty good for just about two years in the tree. I still ain't shit though hahaha. Im actually helping a company start out here but I am giving it a year. You know if i dont see they have full commitment, im out and moving to the west coast. Id like to get into commercial logging and do that for a few years and still climb. I wont both aspects of the industry. But well see life is full of suprises.
Man, I do o.k, but I only started the climbing stuff about twelve years ago on New England Safety Blue rope, and a ddrt prussic. Learned footlocking and stuff. But I'm 43, man. I just with that I'd have started this stuff in my twenties cause I love this trade. Wish I'd a fallen commercial timber too. Oh, to have had just a few more lives. :lol:

Back