X Rigging Rings, thoughts

I find that the Big shot and the Sena helmets impres the clients more than anything else.
Of course the Sequoia/Redwood climbing pictures on my website is the real big hit.

My customer base wouldn't know good rigging gear from kids toys. The finished product is the absolute only thing that has ever impressed my client base outside of honesty and timeliness.

Yes, totes. Getting home to find the tree gone with no evidence is all they are happy about usually, although some are keen to photograph and film etc.

I figured that in your market, Chris.

Wraptor, APTA, and Senas go a long with the want-to-be-home types.

Some wouldn't care less about anything but the bottom line, and tree gone or pruned within their ability to perceive. Transferring from one tree to another brings out some subconscious Tarzan thing from childhood for some.

A lot of people are simply impressed by a bucket truck.

"Fancy" rigging when it means not smashing their delicate landscaping goes over well, and speed-lining. Here we have lots of gardeners, like, for real.

As a comparison, a lot of people only have a rough idea about good residential work, and around here are familiar with tree work being hickories and pegged pants, spur and lanyard. Lots of logging history, naturally.

Folks here are impressed by iron. That's pretty universal I think. I sort of think it makes them feel like they are getting a lot more for the money.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Natural crotching has its place....especially on defective structures. But on large rigging removals, while a climber might get off to a good start, the result of all that friction can be come quite a handicap, and limit your options....if speed is the incentive of course. Well rounded climbers usually know when and when not to, without limiting to just one of either option. Nothing worse than watching a busy fool charging into a tree with a saw, trying to look fast, but making it look hard.

It's the same with climbing hardware and techniques available now days....more specifically for spurless. I can't think why any competitive climber would not take the time to embrace and master a more modern approach to the task. personally I couldnt comprehend the thought that I'd stopped evolving....that this is as good as it gets. Maybe it's a personal thing, or maybe it's forever trying to keep ahead of the competition....depending on what form and extent that competition exists.

I find that the Big shot and the Sena helmets impres the clients more than anything else.
Of course the Sequoia/Redwood climbing pictures on my website is the real big hit.

Stig what's the website address? I would like to see pics of you climbing redwoods!

Most folks around here are amazed with srt and have never seen anyone walk up a rope. They just have to video it to show to their Grandkids. They like rappels too, but then again, so do I.

Natural crotching has its place....especially on defective structures. But on large rigging removals, while a climber might get off to a good start, the result of all that friction can be come quite a handicap, and limit your options....if speed is the incentive of course. Well rounded climbers usually know when and when not to, without limiting to just one of either option. Nothing worse than watching a busy fool charging into a tree with a saw, trying to look fast, but making it look hard.

It's the same with climbing hardware and techniques available now days....more specifically for spurless. I can't think why any competitive climber would not take the time to embrace and master a more modern approach to the task. personally I couldnt comprehend the thought that I'd stopped evolving....that this is as good as it gets. Maybe it's a personal thing, or maybe it's forever trying to keep ahead of the competition....depending on what form and extent that competition exists.
This is what I meant in saying "when it's time for a block, its time for a block".

Reg, I think we may be on different pages but I'm not sure. You think a block/ring is the way to go the majority of the time?

Reg, I think we may be on different pages but I'm not sure. You think a block/ring is the way to go the majority of the time?
No, you can get most any tree done with just natural crotches. but in doing so you limit your options....that's all im saying. For example, if you're rigging just to avoid stuff at or just above ground level then crotches are just fine. But when the targets become higher like buildings and wires, then you might have a lot less clearance, or call it airspace between those obstacles and the limbs to be removed. At this stage of natural crotch rigging you may be forced to cut smaller, switch rigging points and generally make a meal of the job. It still gets done, mind. With blocks/rings, and the ability to preload and sometimes lift (winch or other m.a) you can gain 6, 7 feet of clearance before you even set about the limb with a saw. With such a strategy in mind a climber can move huge sections from one side of a tree to the other. Less climbing, less cutting, no switching rigging points, less swinging distance, less time spent. Re: tying a block and sling - it's a one minute job, two at the most. You set it, or them once and its done. Here in Victoria I've come across many who don't use lowering devices for the same reason....that it takes too long to set up apparently. They'd rather be walking back and forth around the trunk all day tripping over the rope. False economy is what it is. This is not directed at you Chris or anyone in particular....just elaborating on what I said earlier that a good climber should be able to look at a tree and forsee which strategy makes for the best time savings. If he or she is generally swapping and changing direction a whole lot then somethings wrong.

Sounds like we are very much on the same page. Each style has its place. Thanks for clarifying. I was scratching my head at the idea that maybe you used a block/ring for every single thing and that notion surprised me. I used to use a nylon sling and steel caribiner a lot for small rigging to create options that crotches didn't offer.

Besides what Reg has stated, using rigging devises ( top and bottom) gives a predictable amount of friction. This way it's just getting the weights right. With natural crotch rigging you're friction changes frequently depending on weight, line angle, and how much the rope has burnt into the crotch.
Incorporating hardware has definatly increased my production. It gives me so many more options and a lot less fear of the groundies beating the hell out of me.
Still enjoy torching an old rope on occasion though.

Sounds like we are very much on the same page. Each style has its place. Thanks for clarifying. I was scratching my head at the idea that maybe you used a block/ring for every single thing and that notion surprised me. I used to use a nylon sling and steel caribiner a lot for small rigging to create options that crotches didn't offer.

Good to hear Chris :thumbup:

I am crying out for a winched LD and would benefit from it massively on the trees I get, and of course would use a block or two in conjunction. Sadly gravity is my only friend.

Portal rap or whatever you use attached to the mini loader makes a pretty good lifting/lowering device.

I am crying out for a winched LD and would benefit from it massively on the trees I get, and of course would use a block or two in conjunction. Sadly gravity is my only friend.

Fiddle block and a porty will get ya by for lifting, about a quarter of the cost of a GRCS.

Fiddle block and a porty will get ya by for lifting, about a quarter of the cost of a GRCS.

4:1 or 5:1 is little compared to 22:1 or 44:1.

That being said, if you aren't lifting at a maximum, porty solidly attached to the frame, and right-pedal-judicious-power can go along way, if you have the room. Long Island, maybe not so much.

I wonder about a porty and rope for rigging, and a small 12v winch powered by the chipper or truck (mount on frame, maybe) with a lifting line attached to the cable. Inexpensive lifting that would have a shorter ROI, and maybe available cheaply in used but good shape.

I love the maasdam rope puller, it fits in and solves a lot of problems in the trees and my electric motor/pump repair business. If I'm lifting heavy, I'll back the rope puller up with a porty, or a pulley redirecting to a porty.

And way cheap, through Amazon.
Treestuff $50
Wesspur/ Bailey's $60
Amazon currently $42 with free shipping

$41 for a rebuild kit.

C3081170b.jpg
I've been pondering on using a capstan hoist for some pulling and lifting. I used them for years to hang back-lot transformers with the power company. Mine's rated for 1,000 lbs. It requires 120 volts but I've got a little generator that runs it just fine. Any thoughts?

Back