X Rigging Rings, thoughts

WHEN, youth is wasted, it's wasted by the young.
Then there are those older people who ruin other people's childhoods, which could also be called wasting youth.
Too deep perhaps for this thread...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wasted my youth, if I knew then what I know now I'd have spent a lot more time getting high and partying.

I joined a reserve artillery unit when I turned 17, by the time I was 21 I had my own howitzer to command. I don't feel I wasted my youth, I paid into my pension, bought a lot of tools I still use to this day, learned how to learn on my own, now... getting married from '96 to 2006, that was completely wasted time!

I spent most of my youth travelling the world, working my way around.
It meant I never got to go to university, but as I'm happy as a clam doing what I do, who cares? ( Well, my mom did, but that is another story)

I went to university, didn't let it hold me back.

I spent a LOT of my youth partying and getting high, it's no great shakes.

You seem to have it sorted now though?

I spent most of my youth working my arse off, with very little to show for it. I now spend most of my time working my arse off, but but at least now I have something to show for it. I could have spent every weekend until I was 23-24 getting wasted and still be in the same position I'm in now.

I don't know, it takes effort to develop a work ethic. I am very concerned about my 9 year old son . It is next to impossible to get him to do any work. Not sure how to instill it in him. He loves to dirt bike but needs a chain and sprocket, I told him he needs to polish the aluminum bed on my crane to get it fixed. He just stopped riding:? WTF if I could have had a dirt bike at his age I would have done anything to keep it running.......

When you can't get your child to work for a reward, that's scary. Doesn't seem our old ways of instilling work ethic are as copacetic with the kids today as when we grew up. Some other approach is needed, I guess. But what? Luck.

I don't know, it takes effort to develop a work ethic. I am very concerned about my 9 year old son . It is next to impossible to get him to do any work. Not sure how to instill it in him. He loves to dirt bike but needs a chain and sprocket, I told him he needs to polish the aluminum bed on my crane to get it fixed. He just stopped riding:? WTF if I could have had a dirt bike at his age I would have done anything to keep it running.......

All I can do is chuckle. We all know you work mad hard and are a genius at innovating tree gear. And let's assume your wife is also a bright, hard worker. So, bottom line, I'm betting your son will be fine, he will be productive. Some kids are a chip off the old block, others are different in many ways from their parents, but underneath it all, I would bet he has many strong, positive talents, they may take time to develop and show. Meanwhile, of course try to make sure he works for his keep as much as you reasonably can. He'll be fine. Some people, as kids, love to work. I was one of those. I used to like digging holes 5' deep in backyard and then fill them in:|:

Could be he sees you working so hard and being dog tired from it (if you are), and it might make him wonder about the benefit of working so hard...

I got a new tactic with my son.
"Your a big man its your decision and you face the consequences ". They just want to be treated like a man not a kid. At 9 not sure if that works but that's something to try. I was at my wits end with will kinda try to remember what it's like.

You seem to have it sorted now though?

I spent most of my youth working my arse off, with very little to show for it. I now spend most of my time working my arse off, but but at least now I have something to show for it. I could have spent every weekend until I was 23-24 getting wasted and still be in the same position I'm in now.
Well yes I have, to an extent, but I always feel that 10 years of my life was lost/wasted. Being young and living it up is great of course, trouble is for people like me they don't know when it's time to get serious.

I loved working as a kid. Now I feel guilty if I have a day off, even if I'm ill.

I'll be very happy if my kids choose an easier career path.

Yup. I hit it hard between 16 and 21. One crazy party for five years, in a way I modeled my life after HST. When 21 came around I never though I would make it to that age and had had some very close calls with the reaper and the law, decided to go home and back to work with my brother and father. Got all of that out of my system and then some. Now I just work everyday, drink beer and smoke grass, I'm lucky to be alive!!!

Been stitching up x-slings all day, can't wait to deploy them in the field!

but I always feel that 10 years of my life was lost/wasted.

How bout thinking of it like this- you had a lot of fun in those 10 years, definitely learned a lot about life then as well as in looking back on it afterwards and seeing things that perhaps could have been done differently, and perhaps the hard work you do now wouldn't be so focused and effective if had been working for all those years, you might be burned out. Just because those years weren't spent earning money and learning job skills doesn't mean they don't have worth when looked at from a different perspective.

I'll be very happy if my kids choose an easier career path.

Me too. I end up going balls to the wall virtually everyday (complaining not bragging) and I wonder, is it possible to get ahead without working like that, or does most everybody work like that in their jobs, i.e., all jobs are real hard if you are trying to be good at it??

Levi, HST's Fear and Loathing in LV is one of the most well written books ever, imo.

Back