Official Random Fact/Random Thought Thread!

Orwille or Wilbur Wright ( I forgot which) had a ride on a 737 before he died.
My grandmother grew up on the moor without electricity and had a TV with 13 channels when she died.

Passage of time, indeed.

Something I like to think about.

Last edited:
Here's a random thought... I mostly run small saws. Probably 80%+ of the time I'm running 3/8"lp. When I'm running my bigger 3/8" saws, one of my favorite things is getting blasted by the chip stream when the bar's buried in a big log. It almost stings. Feels like you're getting something done :^)
I hate that.
When I buck a log and reach over it, I run the saw one handed, and put the other hand in the way of the chips.

Last edited:
Well, I don't like a face full of chips or anything. I just like when it hits my arm. Dog in and start cutting. When the saw gets close to vertical, the chipstream blasts past my arm. Lots and lots of chips, especially compared to the small saws.

Yep.
It wears through the right sleeve of the hickory shirt, when I log.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Random Thought: Why is there no chainsaw emoji? There's only ⛓️ + 🪚!

Random Fact: If you want to use bold lettering on this forum while on mobile, all you have to do is type the following (IMPORTANT: I've added spaces in between each bracket, symbol and letter in the code so that it doesn't activate and so that you can see it; remove all of the spaces between the brackets, letters and symbols when typing the code out)...

[ B ]Your Text Here[ / B ]

To create italics, my guess is that you would simply replace the "B" with an "I."

I'll be looking deeper into the code to see if there are any other useful ways that people can adjust their writing on mobile.

Random Fact:
According to the CDC, the average person sleeps ~7 hours per night. A 2013 Gallup poll found that 59% of Americans sleep seven or more hours, while 40% sleep less than seven.

CDC recommended amount of sleep for each age group:
  • 0-3 months: 14-17 hours
  • 4-11 months: 12-16 hours
  • 1-2 years old: 11-14 hours
  • 3-5 years old: 10-13 hours
  • 6-12 years old: 9-12 hours
  • 13-18 years old: 8-10 hours
  • 18-64 years old: 7-9 hours
  • 65+: 7-8 hours
Many people drastically underestimate how much sleep they actually get. Fore example, some people will claim that they consistently get 5 hours of sleep every night or that they were awake for a week straight. Both claims are unrealistic and like to be false. People need a minimum of 4 hours per night just to survive, but not to thrive, and someone getting that much sleep would be needing hospitalization. So you can see how a "5 hour per night" claim simply wouldn't be possible. Also, the average person cannot stay up beyond 48 hours.

Anyone who surpasses 48-72 hours will certainly begin to experience increased microsleep, a brief period of sleep or drowsiness that can last from a fraction of a second to several seconds. It can happen at any time of day, and people may not even realize that they are briefly falling asleep repeatedly. During microsleep, the brain will not process information, and the person may appear awake with their eyes open, but will lapse in attention. It is the body's way of recovering from the sleep deprivation and, yes, as the name suggests, it is a type of sleep.

As a result, it should be obvious to the reader why nobody can ever truly be awake for more than 72 hours before they start microsleeping (however, microsleep can begin within the 24 hours period, but my 72 hour example refers to a drug user on a stimulant, with the drug dramatically extending the amount of time before microsleep occurs; and it would occur in even the most stimulated drug addled individual by the 72 hour mark). So the next time your friend claims they were up for days on end, tell them to take their exaggerations elsewhere lol

Fun Fact: The world record for staying awake is 11 days 25 minutes, set by Randy Gardner in 1963. Gardner, a 17-year-old American, broke the previous record of 260 hours held by Tom Rounds, and reached the end of his 11-day experiment on January 8, 1964, after being awake for 264 hours. Gardner's experiment is one of the best-documented cases of sleep deprivation.

Fun Fact: If you doze for three seconds (driving) while going 96 kph (60 mph), you can travel 90 meters (300 feet) in the wrong direction or in the right direction without noticing a stopped vehicle or obstacle in front of you.

Last edited:
As a long term chronic insomniac, going past 48 hours isn't uncommon, and I've seen the ugly side of 72 hours a few times. Due to a certian stressful situation in high-school, I went 7 days without sleeping. That said, microsleep is a thing, and can be very uncanny, and has led to my only known case of sleepwalking. I basically fell asleep in mid step, woke up almost a mile down the road, feeling somehow refreshed. I was walking on the side of a fairly busy highway, with a 65mph speed limit and no shoulder to speak of. Could have ended badly.

Also, I'd like to point out that insomnia isn't just a lack of sleep, it can manifest as an irregular or interrupted sleep schedule, or as a failure to achieve the deeper phases of sleep, which can be very difficult to live with long term. The condition is often aggravated by stress and can cause new and interesting symptoms to come and go. Here's an odd one for ya, the more stress I perceive, the less I sleep at night, obviously, but I also have an inverse issue. Road Hypnosis. I'm fine on dirt roads at low speeds, but a few minutes on the highway and I have to pull over and nap for a few minutes. It's not an issue as a passenger. I can be cruising down the road all but nodding off, switch places with my passenger, and never feel tired again. Get back behind the wheel, and it starts over.

I remember driving Sepulveda Canyon on the 405 from just part way in and becoming conscience of the feat more than 1/2 way through. at About 65 MPH back in the day, middle of the night. Could have ended very poorly. I was working and going to school in the San Fernando Valley and had recently moved in with my dad in Playa Del Rey. SepulvedaCanyon.jpg

Random Fact:
According to the CDC, the average person sleeps ~7 hours per night. A 2013 Gallup poll found that 59% of Americans sleep seven or more hours, while 40% sleep less than seven.

CDC recommended amount of sleep for each age group:
  • 0-3 months: 14-17 hours
  • 4-11 months: 12-16 hours
  • 1-2 years old: 11-14 hours
  • 3-5 years old: 10-13 hours
  • 6-12 years old: 9-12 hours
  • 13-18 years old: 8-10 hours
  • 18-64 years old: 7-9 hours
  • 65+: 7-8 hours
Many people drastically underestimate how much sleep they actually get. Fore example, some people will claim that they consistently get 5 hours of sleep every night or that they were awake for a week straight. Both claims are unrealistic and like to be false. People need a minimum of 4 hours per night just to survive, but not to thrive, and someone getting that much sleep would be needing hospitalization. So you can see how a "5 hour per night" claim simply wouldn't be possible. Also, the average person cannot stay up beyond 48 hours.

Anyone who surpasses 48-72 hours will certainly begin to experience increased microsleep, a brief period of sleep or drowsiness that can last from a fraction of a second to several seconds. It can happen at any time of day, and people may not even realize that they are briefly falling asleep repeatedly. During microsleep, the brain will not process information, and the person may appear awake with their eyes open, but will lapse in attention. It is the body's way of recovering from the sleep deprivation and, yes, as the name suggests, it is a type of sleep.

As a result, it should be obvious to the reader why nobody can ever truly be awake for more than 72 hours before they start microsleeping (however, microsleep can begin within the 24 hours period, but my 72 hour example refers to a drug user on a stimulant, with the drug dramatically extending the amount of time before microsleep occurs; and it would occur in even the most stimulated drug addled individual by the 72 hour mark). So the next time your friend claims they were up for days on end, tell them to take their exaggerations elsewhere lol

Fun Fact: The world record for staying awake is 11 days 25 minutes, set by Randy Gardner in 1963. Gardner, a 17-year-old American, broke the previous record of 260 hours held by Tom Rounds, and reached the end of his 11-day experiment on January 8, 1964, after being awake for 264 hours. Gardner's experiment is one of the best-documented cases of sleep deprivation.

Fun Fact: If you doze for three seconds (driving) while going 96 kph (60 mph), you can travel 90 meters (300 feet) in the wrong direction or in the right direction without noticing a stopped vehicle or obstacle in front of you.
People can adapt, so I'm sure some get by just fine with very little sleep. As for me, I find 9hrs is best, but I can get by pretty well on 5. I think I stayed up for as much as 4 days straight when I was in elementary school, but I can't remember exactly how many days, or if I slept any during the day.

As far as I know, sleep consists of cycles. One cycle lasts 1.5 hours. The best option is 5 cycles (7.5 hours). Without enough restorative sleep, we will not be able to work, study and communicate to our full potential without negative consequences. Saving sleep brings us closer to a serious mental and physical disorder and exposes people to an increased risk of cardiovascular disease, diabetes, depression, etc.

Random Fact: The $1,000 bill featured Grover Cleveland on the obverse and the words "One Thousand Dollars" on the reverse. It was printed as a small-size Federal Reserve Note in 1918, 1934 and 1934A, and a small-size Gold Certificate in 1928 and 1934.

Random Thought: My mother used to always tell my twin sister and I that it's poor etiquette to put salt or pepper on anything onto food that another person cooked without trying it first to see if you might enjoy it was already seasoned by the cook.

Allow me to attempt to break down what she meant by that...

This applies to your home or a formal setting, like a dinner party. It may not make total sense for certain condiments like hot sauce or ketchup because sometimes you just know you need one of those two items to enjoy your meal. But it definitely applies to the base seasonings like salt and pepper because there is always a chance you might enjoy the food exactly how it was original seasoned by the cook. Therefore, it's sort of rude if you add extra seasoning without trying it first because it shows you're assuming it might not be cooked to your taste.

Every time my Mom cooked food for our family, which was almost daily, we all knew that she got the seasonings correct, like salt and pepper, probably 70% of the time. So nobody in our family would put anything extra on our food until we actually tried it. Again, this may not apply to situations at home where you know your wife, or whoever, cooks a certain way because the kids like how it's cooked, but you know that you'll definitely need more salt and pepper for yourself and you do this regularly. Obviously that's not offensive depending upon the family dynamic because everyone knows you'll need extra seasonings every time you eat family cooking.

Anyways, just sharing a random etiquette tip. I hope my word salad made sense.

Random Fact: There are about 169 volcanoes in the United States that scientists consider active. Most of these are located in Alaska, where eruptions occur virtually every year. Others are located throughout the west and in Hawaii.

Random Fact: FM radio stations all transmit in a band between 88 megahertz (millions of cycles per second) and 108 megahertz. This band of frequencies is completely arbitrary and is based mostly on history and whim. Inside that band, each station occupies a 200-kilohertz slice, and all of the slices start on odd number boundaries.

Random Fact: The presidents who are currently still alive are: George H. W. Bush, Barack Obama, George W. Bush, Bill Clinton, Donald Trump, Joe Biden and Jimmy Carter. Carter is currently 99 years old. Bush senior is 94.

Random Fact: How fast does the Earth spin? The circumference of the Earth at the equator is 25,000 miles. The Earth rotates in about 24 hours. Therefore, if you were to hang above the surface of the Earth at the equator without moving, you would see 25,000 miles pass by in 24 hours, at a speed of 25000/24 or just over 1000 miles per hour.

Last edited:
Also missing a word: american.
Plenty of other presidents alive.
If one believes there is a world outside of the US of course.

Yeah, I admittedly copied and pasted from Wikipedia. Apparently it's outdated. Didn't pay much attention to it. That's my bad.

Sorry, having a distracting day. I normally do a great job with these facts. I have some random pain in my neck that's been going on for awhile and I think I'm going to go to the hospital today. The pain is radiating down my right arm, so I'm a bit distracted. Sorry guys. It's not an excuse for my poor performance, but an explanation.

I had to add Joe Biden and Donald Trump to the list myself because it wasn't on the Wikipedia page. Stupid for using it. Oh well.

Random Fact: The $1,000 bill featured Grover Cleveland on the obverse and the words "One Thousand Dollars" on the reverse. It was printed as a small-size Federal Reserve Note in 1918, 1934 and 1934A, and a small-size Gold Certificate in 1928 and 1934.

Random Thought: My mother used to always tell my twin sister and I that it's poor etiquette to put salt or pepper on anything onto food that another person cooked without trying it first to see if you might enjoy it was already seasoned by the cook.

Allow me to attempt to break down what she meant by that...

This applies to your home or a formal setting, like a dinner party. It may not make total sense for certain condiments like hot sauce or ketchup because sometimes you just know you need one of those two items to enjoy your meal. But it definitely applies to the base seasonings like salt and pepper because there is always a chance you might enjoy the food exactly how it was original seasoned by the cook. Therefore, it's sort of rude if you add extra seasoning without trying it first because it shows you're assuming it might not be cooked to your taste.

Every time my Mom cooked food for our family, which was almost daily, we all knew that she got the seasonings correct, like salt and pepper, probably 70% of the time. So nobody in our family would put anything extra on our food until we actually tried it. Again, this may not apply to situations at home where you know your wife, or whoever, cooks a certain way because the kids like how it's cooked, but you know that you'll definitely need more salt and pepper for yourself and you do this regularly. Obviously that's not offensive depending upon the family dynamic because everyone knows you'll need extra seasonings every time you eat family cooking.

Anyways, just sharing a random etiquette tip. I hope my word salad made sense.
I know folks who were really big on this etiquette. A friend was dating a girl and her parents got pretty offended when he put salt on his food they prepared for him when he didn’t try it first. Seems crazy to me. Most etiquette seems to be classist ego stroking anyway. Down with etiquette!

I eat a lot of Indian food and don’t use utensils but my right hand and enjoy eating at the Indian restaurants full of white folk while shunning the fork. The staff thinks it’s great. Only downside is having to wash up between plates at the buffet (I suppose a form of etiquette in itself). This lack of utensils extends to most other foods as well. Whoever decided we need to hold a fork in a hand as a hand is capable of doing what the fork can do and with greater finesse? There are some foods that are socially acceptable as finger foods and fares which don’t lend themselves to fork usage. There items are socially acceptable attack with a hand, but, only those select items.

A coworker friend would NOT eat his bowl of beans, rice, chicken, and veggies with his hand when he didn’t have a fork or spoon. The thought revolted him. He said it was disgusting to do so and found something to make do with. 🤷‍♂️

I have a neighbor and friend who is a fellow Christian that said he and his family honor God by using utensils as it shows we are separate from the animals. He believes that you should be sitting at the table to eat as well. Other behaviors such as walking and eating are lowly. I told him that Jesus ate with his hand, ate while walking, and never sat at a table as they layed on their side on pillows around a short table. This information is found in the Bible as well as other historical documents.

I wonder if it would be considered improper etiquette and rude to eat with a fork in Ethiopia as well as many African nations and India?

You can eat with utensils in India just fine and not get looked at weird.
I presume you know why you eat with your right hand as opposed to your left. And certainly not both.

Back