Official Random Fact/Random Thought Thread!

Random Fact: Which sea has no coast line? The Sargasso Sea in the North Atlantic is bounded by the Gulf Stream on the west, the North Atlantic Current on the north, the Canary Current on the east, and the North Equatorial Current on the south. The Sargasso Sea is a region in the gyre in the middle of the North Atlantic Ocean.

Random Fact: What do you call a woman who hates men? A woman who hates men can be described as a misandrist, and the corresponding noun is misandry. Women who hate men are misandrists, as men who hate women are misogynists.
Women who hate men are called lesbians.

It is not completely true but I meant it in a sort of funny way. Perhaps it was in poor taste.

I suppose its been my observation as well. I’ve seen a few female to female relationships where a male or several males inflicted pain and the next relationship was with a woman as they were scarred or had mistrust for males.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I guess you can't truly know if you're gay unless you experience both sexes, but that isn't always the case. As someone who isn't gay, I can't really speak to that assertion, but it seems logical. I don't think that, generally, lesbians choose their orientation because of a hatred for men. I think they just prefer intimacy with other women over men, and this decision can stem from a huge variety of different reason unrelated to hating men. But I fully appreciate what your personal experiences have told you. I just honestly believe that the vast majority of lesbians still are willing to interact, appreciate, and value men despite their sexual preference for woman. That has been my personal experience.

Random Fact: "The Little Mermaid" (Danish: Den lille havfrue) is a well-known fairy tale by the Danish author Hans Christian Andersen about a young mermaid willing to give up her life in the sea and her identity as a mermaid to gain a human soul and the love of a human prince.

Random Fact: Previous studies have found the giraffe has an extremely high blood pressure that is twice that found in other animals. But this study is the first to unravel the true nature of the giraffe heart and cardiovascular system.

Random Fact: If you wanted to tie a rope around the entire Earth, with the rope laying on the ground, you would need roughly 131,000,000 feet of rope to match the Earth's circumference. Let's imagine that you want to tie that same rope around the Earth, but have it raised up one foot above the ground. How much extra rope would you need?

Believe it or not, you would only need an additional 6.28 feet of rope, or 2π feet. This same rule applies to any spherical object or circular object, even something as small as a basketball!

I know! What a mind f*ck!

Last edited:
Random Fact:

This guy is a serious badass.

The "Un-killable Soldier..."

Lieutenant-General Sir Adrian Paul Ghislain Carton de Wiart,[1] VC, KBE, CB, CMG, DSO (/də ˈwaɪ.ərt/;[2] 5 May 1880 – 5 June 1963) was a British Army officer. He was awarded the Victoria Cross, the highest military decoration awarded for valour "in the face of the enemy" in various Commonwealth countries.[3] He served in the Boer War, First World War, and Second World War.

He was shot in the face, head, stomach, ankle, leg, hip, and ear; was blinded in his left eye; survived two plane crashes; tunnelled out of a prisoner-of-war camp; and tore off his own fingers when a doctor declined to amputate them. Describing his experiences in the First World War, he wrote, "Frankly, I had enjoyed the war."[4]

SOURCE:

Random Fact:

This guy is a serious badass.

The "Un-killable Soldier..."

Lieutenant-General Sir Adrian Paul Ghislain Carton de Wiart,[1] VC, KBE, CB, CMG, DSO (/də ˈwaɪ.ərt/;[2] 5 May 1880 – 5 June 1963) was a British Army officer. He was awarded the Victoria Cross, the highest military decoration awarded for valour "in the face of the enemy" in various Commonwealth countries.[3] He served in the Boer War, First World War, and Second World War.

He was shot in the face, head, stomach, ankle, leg, hip, and ear; was blinded in his left eye; survived two plane crashes; tunnelled out of a prisoner-of-war camp; and tore off his own fingers when a doctor declined to amputate them. Describing his experiences in the First World War, he wrote, "Frankly, I had enjoyed the war."[4]

SOURCE:
Did you just find out about him? Next you ought look into the Finnish soldier known as The White Death.

Or Tango Mike Mike, That Mad Mexican, Master Sargent Roy Benavidez.

Or possibly the greatest battleship commander the world ever saw, Vice Admiral Willis Augustus "Ching" Lee, who fought the last battleship on battleship engagement in history. USS Washington vs IJN Kirishima, during the second night battle of Guadalcanal.

The list really does go on. War is one of the most extreme of human conditions, and from such hellscapes, heros rise.

In Alaska, forest frogs freeze for seven months of the year. Their hearts stop beating, they don't breathe, the blood flow stops. 60% of the water in the frog's body turns into ice! Frogs thaw and start moving only when the heat comes.

Scientists have been unable to solve this mystery for a long time, how do frogs of the Rana sylvatica species manage to do this!
Of which, for three months, the frog's body temperature does not exceed -6 ° C.

Recently, scientists have managed to solve this mystery. It turned out that the liver of frogs increases by one and a half times before falling asleep. And the reserves of glycogen, a nutrient that the liver accumulates, grow three times. The frog freezes gradually and glucose helps the cells to maintain their structure.
Ученые прозвали эту лягушку «ходячая печень».

Природные секреты, скрытые в этой лягушке, ученые надеются использовать для заморозки органов и, возможно, в будущем – человека. Ведь заморозить человека легко, а разморозить живым и здоровым пока наука не умеет.

IMG_9679.jpeg

Tennis was introduced to The United States from Bermuda.
If the 1609 Relief expedition from England to Jamestown, Virginia had not made it there 10 months after the flagship 'Sea Venture' was shipwrecked on Bermuda, there would probably be a very different America today.
Smith (of Pocahantas fame) was on board, as was William Strachey, a good friend of William Shakespeare. It is said that Strachey's experience of the hurricane which led to the shipwreck, and their time on Bermuda was the inspiration for Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'

RANDOM THOUGHT: Okay, so, I just finally updated to Windows 11 after realizing how likely Microsoft's code was outdated on my computer, exposing me to hacks and...

...I realized something. I realized that the vast majority of duration bars shown by softwares that are being installed onto your computer, or apps the you download on your phone, are lying to you.

How many times have you downloaded something to witness it increase from 0% at a steady, predictable pace...

...but as soon as you reach 98% or 99%, your computer stays fixed on those values for a disproportionately much longer amount of time than every other individual percentage amount prior to it!

This is likely because, if a customer is downloading a software, they are MUCH more likely to wait and allow the installation to finish what it's doing if they believe they are at the end of the installation.

Until they realize they aren't. As for this Windows 11 installation, I've been at 98% for easily 20 minutes.

Bruh. Software companies have been playing me for a long time! But I'm onto them!

EDIT: Microsoft just made me wait 20 minutes, plus, once it finally finished that first duration bar, it jumped to a new one for "updates," when updates are PART OF the installation lmao See how they split the tasks in half?

Last edited:
I'm not sure it took 20 minutes in it's entirety to upgrade debian. Had to be available to answer a couple questions about changed config files, but it's basically #apt update && apt full-upgrade, then wait.

Incredible photos!

In the article, how does it go from the first picture of the heron flying away from the camera and the bobcat on the lower right, to the second photo of the heron flying towards the camera with the bobcat having pounced out from the left?
EDIT...momentum I guess, bobcat and heron collide, momentum swings bobcat's butt to the left, heron rotates

In the article, how does it go from the first picture of the heron flying away from the camera and the bobcat on the lower right, to the second photo of the heron flying towards the camera with the bobcat having pounced out from the left?
EDIT...momentum I guess, bobcat and heron collide, momentum swings bobcat's butt to the left, heron rotates
Great Blue Heron weigh about 5 lbs on average and Bobcats, which are small predatory cats, weigh 18.5lbs on average. Looks like g-forces from the flying Great Blue Heron might have caused the cat to present its unusual body position. The unknown force measurement worth knowing would be how much force the downward spreading of a Great Blue Heron wing's creates. All it would take would be for the heron to be flying in the opposite direction (as it was) and the Bobcat may have been raising its lower body up in an attempt to add additional forces, beyond just its weight, to the heron, in an effort to bring it down. So the unexpected cotorsion could be 100% on the Bobcat's part, as an effort to exude further forces onto the Great Blue Heron, in an effort to bring it to the ground. By lifting its lower body up and then gripping with his front claws, and then by suddenly dropping his lower body (not shown; not known if this happened) the Bocat could displace the bird from the sky with relative ease give its superior mass.

EDIT: Additionally, the cat may have simply over-jumped, causing these unexpected contortions. He may have found that he needed to grab onto the bird with his front claws, but his lower body continued upwards after the overjump.

Last edited:
Here's a random thought... I mostly run small saws. Probably 80%+ of the time I'm running 3/8"lp. When I'm running my bigger 3/8" saws, one of my favorite things is getting blasted by the chip stream when the bar's buried in a big log. It almost stings. Feels like you're getting something done :^)

Random musing... My compose key quit working today. After dicking around with it for ~15 minutes including a reboot, I figured out my capslock key quit working. That's what I assigned compose to. I reassigned compose to rt ctrl, and figured I'd take the keyboard apart some time and see if I can figure it out. I ended up just smacking the key, and it started working again. Probably crud in the keyboard.

This keyboard is 35 years old. That's a long time for electronics to be working. That's the spread between WWII and the birth of PCs, or the summer of love, and widespread use of the internet. The passage of time is interesting. When I was kid(we'll say ~12), and I was in buildings from the 30s and 40s, they seemed older than shit, and kind of magical(they were cause we still had a sense of style back then), but that was the same amount of time between now and when I was 12, and that doesn't seem older than shit. I think it's delusion :^D

edit:
Also, there was a civil war vet on my father's street when he was kid. It's not implausible for that vet to have known a revolutionary war vet. That puts me 3 people away from the birth of the country. That's not many people from an impossibly long time ago. There's been *a lot* of change in that time frame. Going from hardly no one around, and horses being state of the art transportation to space travel, with human craft now in interstellar space

Last edited:
Back