X Rigging Rings, thoughts

Ready? Everyone brace yourselves. Here it comes. Gather the pitchforks and torches.......

I natural crotch 95% of the time!

Ready for the kicker?

So do most of the folks on this forum. We all know it. It just isn't cool to say it out loud. But im not cool, so I will speak for everyone that feels the deep burning shame of using crotches for a 45 minute removal instead of decorating the tree with gear so it now takes an hour.

There's even rumor of guys climbing doubled rope.....

Nothing better than setting a nice natural crotch rigging point or two from the ground and gettin busy.

When its time for a block, its time for a block. It is what it is. When I'm doing my thing around the tree and see a bangin crotch to work a piece out of, I'm whip up a monkey fist and toss that sucker right up through that crotch and get busy.

Does this mean I should be on some sort of registry or list of unsavory people? Just tell me. Don't hold back.

Me too chris... Just way faster natural crotching... The amount of times we have to change the rigging point, we would be there all day with rigging!

When its time for a block, its time for a block. It is what it is. When I'm doing my thing around the tree and see a bangin crotch to work a piece out of, I'm whip up a monkey fist and toss that sucker right up through that crotch and get busy.

Does this mean I should be on some sort of registry or list of unsavory people? Just tell me. Don't hold back.

I want on that list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guess I better stop editing out my rope smoking shots. . . I love the way a glazed stable braid coils when I'm done. . .

I think I'd like your videos even more if it showed a little of the bad with the good. Not bad bad. But a little poof of smoke on the rope shows some of the dynamics of the rig for those who know what they are watching. A puff of smoke in a video would put load size into perspective for me. Computer screens downgrade the heck out of size and scale of trees and pieces of them.

Last week, lowered this out whole on a porta-wrap, only hand pretensioned. Coulda used a GRCS for sure to alleviate dynamics. Worked great though. Prolly raise some eyebrows.
c13ebc5ace0376bf8dd21cc17a081290.jpg

You got it done safely and effectively so eyebrows can be raised all they want. Your chosen method and plan proved without dispute that it was one of several effective and safe approaches.

Ready for the kicker?

So do most of the folks on this forum. We all know it. It just isn't cool to say it out loud. But im not cool, so I will speak for everyone that feels the deep burning shame of using crotches for a 45 minute removal instead of decorating the tree with gear so it now takes an hour.

There's even rumor of guys climbing doubled rope.....

You're funny, Chris.

I natural crotch most removals, because there is no point in trying to go big. I generally don't have the room, or I bomb it. Next step up is a Belay Spool, and as a last resort, heavy blocks and POW.

That being said, I watched the THT videos last night, and I'm intrigued. I like top-side friction a lot.

A problem with the belay spool is that it doesn't like to be on a plumb vertical spar, without possibly pinching. In that case, I try to extend the sling longer, for "positive"-blocking.

Fancy climbing gadgetry can reduce wear and tear on the body. That doesn't show up on the wristwatch as much, but on the long-term timer.

That doesn't show up on the wristwatch as much, but on the long-term timer.

That's good one. I've been working on conditioning lately but have come to realize that the writing is on the wall (or rather, my joints, ie: shoulders, elbows, wrists, knees, lower back, neck, thumb joints near wrist) that my time is winding down. My long-term timer has been hit hard by extreme wristwatch focus and previous injuries. Nearly complete severing of big toe, two broken arms, broken back, ribs dislodged from sternum etc. And if that isn't enough, other injuries from my commercial fishing days and bull riding rodeo days. Then there is the ridiculous addition of the fact that I lived an extreme party life for most of those work years.

Damn Cartilage. Why don't your grow new?

I'm optimistic about stem-cell research. We all will need some extra cushion.

I used to do a lot more removals when I started, and have developed more pruning skills/ customers/ rep.

I used to choke my climb line and stand in spurs for hours, resting on occasion, when there would be more than a minute or two to wait. Now I get a high-TIP, almost always, and rest, standing up for a minute or two when I need to, then go back to sitting and resting.

I've been developing a bunion (misalignment of big toe in relation to foot). Sometimes, no problem, other times, stabbing pain walking. Orthotics have helped. I need to go for some more professional foot care. Feet...our foundation. Rock climbing, heavy backpacking/ portaging for work, tree work, skateboarding, all adds up.

Speedline big limbs rather than cut and throw.

Part time climbing here and job pricing is most times pretty tight. I have a single large x-ring on a sling that is most times on my saddle. I've burned a rope or two and figure the extra minute or so to tie a rigging point saves me from loosing $100 or so on the job to replacing a rope. No elaborate rigging, just what is quick and easiest.

Seems like maybe some trunk wrap, with a ring, would work nicely.

How does the rope advance through the THT when the climber is remotely positioned relative to the THT.

I haven't used a POW in a tree, except maybe once. The Belay Spool is meant to advance the line easier than the POW when worked remotely, without load, due to the rounded off diamond shape. The Belay spool is symmetrical relative to either end of the rope. Seems like the THT would have a bit more drag in one direction than the other. Maybe a negligible amount???

TB has an article on rings. Was that mentioned? Linked?

Yes, David Driver loves elaborate rigging. It makes him very happy. Similarly, chainsaw cuts and camerawork floats my boat. I am more of a MacGyver style rigger. Use whatever is around me.
MacGyver can make good use of an x-ring though, I've noticed, since I added them to the bag of tricks.

So much rigging is site/market-dependent and crew- dependent.

Someplaces, bringing out $10k in rigging gear to get a similar job done as a NC'ed rope, alone, can accomplish, might earn or lose you clients. Some folks are more impressed by the fancy things, and techniques, and will pay a high cost, sometimes. Other people will be impressed by getting so much done, with so little gear. Others might think the gadgetry is paying for things that they don't need.

Sometimes, putting on the show is part of the job.

I'm not sure people really notice or care about pulleys, friction savers etc, Sean.
As for putting on a show, swing about a bit, then let them watch the chipper till they're bored and go inside.

My customer base wouldn't know good rigging gear from kids toys. The finished product is the absolute only thing that has ever impressed my client base outside of honesty and timeliness.

Back