The Official Work Pictures Thread

For most needs Cory, a buzz box like the Lincoln 225 will getter done for under $300. It's 240v so you can run it out of any panel on a 50 amp double pole breaker. It takes a plug similar to most clothes dryers.
My Dad welded for NASA at the space center, was as good as they get. I wish I'd had the unction to be a little better student. I can run a bead and make it work but Daddy was a real pro.

Ok, another rookie question: I always heard welding fumes are real bad for you, how do y'all address that concern. Maybe its the type of thing that welding a few times a year won't mean anything but doing it 20+ hours/week you might have to be careful about it?

They're definitely not good. Use a fan and weld outdoors if at all possible. Grind off all the galvanize you can when welding that stuff, those fumes are pretty potent.

You don't lay your head on the plate and hyperventilate :) seriously tho, you can see the smoke, don't put your head into it, other than that you won't do even close to enough damage by doing it from time to time. Now people who do it all day every day in confined spaces for 40 years, yes you will have problems. If you are really worried about it, use one of the advantages of stick welding, go outside with it or put a $5 box fan on you to blow away the smoke. A mig gun smokes even less, but you can't run them outside because you need the gas to shield the arc. If you get a buzzbox, try to get a dc one, they work better, and if you come across one on Craigslist or an auction, etc try to pick up an engine driven one, they will have more power, a smoother arc, and higher duty cycle. Finally, do not buy one from harbor freight, i can't even make those work lol

Finishing up a backyard Cedar that was thru phones line and what not :|:

Trimmed a mulberry in front after cedar...home by noon :/:

008.jpg

Digging the welding info for rookies here.

Ok, the most basic of questions-how much $ to buy a stick welder and what kind of electrical deal do you need. A basic regular 3 prong shop plug I suspect is not enough?

I have a Miller MultiMatic 200 which is a multi process welder MIG, TIG, and Stick. It is also a multi voltage machine meaning you can plug it into a 120v 20a or 240v 50a outlets. I used that machine to build my chip box last year. I can't remember what I spent $2400 maybe I got the TIG kit and spool gun kit with it. I love it small, portable, and melts some metal.
Image.jpg Here it is with a cart I built.

Look at all those beautiful clamps! I like that! I burnt up a cheap mig early in business, then got a hobart that I built August's chip box with. Now I have a nice Millermatic 212
38daac4877974461f680ec61b2c72948.jpg

I have a Miller MultiMatic 200 which is a multi process welder MIG, TIG, and Stick. It is also a multi voltage machine meaning you can plug it into a 120v 20a or 240v 50a outlets. I used that machine to build my chip box last year. I can't remember what I spent $2400 maybe I got the TIG kit and spool gun kit with it. I love it small, portable, and melts some metal.
View attachment 78500 Here it is with a cart I built.

Super bad ass, battle ready looking rig!!!!!!8)

Interesting that it can run off of 120v too!!??!!

IMG_1647.jpg
Three Dead ash with a dead cherry just to mix it up. They all had a weird sweep to them. The one closest gently rolled against that little pin oak. The starter on my bucket truck decided that it's ready to retire. It wants to disengage early. Just a bit agitating. Guess I'll be ordering one Monday.

Yes. It is what it is. At least we had a productive and well paying day. When my old chipper decided to blow a cylinder, it was in a job that we realized we underbid shortly after arriving. That was a bad day. I'm gonna do a bit of research on the starter. I can remember when I was in high school there was a place close by that could rework things like this. He's long gone, but I'm wondering if there is anyone else. I'll still be buying a new one, but a spare couldn't hurt. I wonder what shipping to and from Canada would be

Harvey brothers, galesburg il. They have people ship them stuff from all over the country. Old timers that do excellent work for fair price. If it's electrical, they can fix it. They got something on about everything i own.

And very nice setups both of you, I'm super jelly of those clamps tho Raj, all i got are some harbor fright c clamps lol

Back