The Official Work Pictures Thread

Speedlined a couple eucs...little homie did good too.

Things may be starting to click in there.
d8371349bace910da4e0dc107438a64a.jpg
6ceb080ed05f232a2cbab1728255324d.jpg
208c8a45f34f51417aa8df9124b0fb44.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

8)

Looks like a decent chunk of work that shitplant job. Nice. I worked around the lagoons in more than one municipality myself. Lol.

IMG_1646.jpg
The jack on the dump trailer broke and tried to kill me Saturday so I found time to upgrade tonight after work. Our mechanic supervised my welding. I trust that I can make bright light and get metal to stick together, but not real confident as I have never had any type of training on it. He gave his approval and it didn't fall off when I unhitched. Who-hoo

Well done, Rich. That's a proper jack (and thermos).

Here's a few photos from some Spruce removals we did a week or two ago. I was a bit nervous climbing above the tear out in the wind, probably more than I needed to be.

20170331_124121.jpg 20170331_124138.jpg

Yes, it was solid as a rock. And yeah, those things are brush monsters, and heavy too.

We did some planting today, nice change of pace.

Two skyrocket junipers and a tree lilac-

20170420_101508.jpg 20170420_111158.jpg

And a Serviceberry in a tight spot-

20170420_095457.jpg

Skinny little fishing pole tops in those eucs Deva. It's a good talent to have Rich, making the bright light and all. I made a few bright lights with the power company that were probably a little more spectacular but didn't end up near as purty as your weld.

We called it welding Levi, but it wasn't on purpose. The real terminology is phase to phase or phase to ground fault. Getting two wires together that don't jive makes a whole heap of electrons go wild, big noise, lots of fire and heat along with molten copper or aluminum.

My bad, Ray. My post was in response to Butch.

I figured your reference, given your old career. I've seen that happen a time or two myself, not as much as you I'd guess. By the way, your avatar and accompanying story are great!:rockon:

Nice pics, Levi!

Rich, lets make you the charter member of the Official Treehouse Rookie Welders Club. Motto? 'Its not as hard as it looks, so don't be skeered to make bright light and melt metal' Well, at least according to Kyle.

I'm starting to feel a lil female cuz I don't weld. Yes, yes I know there are plenty of good distaff welders. Just sayin.

I hate to say it Levi but that thermos sucks. My old one was much better, but one day it decided to burst in my kitchen. Stanley sent me a bunch of stuff and a check for my wife's time of cleaning up the mess from the insulating component. Some fancy name of carbon is what I was told. Anyway, I need to finish my coffee by 10 or it's to cold to drink. Yeti has my attention now.

Cory I won't touch anything that has any potential to get someone hurt. This welding was supervised and JB weld can hold the tongue weight of an empty trailer. Just don't start singing Shania Twain and you should be ok man

Lol Cory, it's not as hard as it looks, and trust me if i can do it, anyone can. Now if we are talking xray pipe welds in a mirror while laying up in a pipe rack or stuff like that, it's not hard but the time invested to learn goes up. I've always believed what one man can do another man can learn to do, and this forum definitely helps people to that end. And Ray you are a bad mofo to work a while career dealing with powerlines, that spooks me to no end. The damn osha 30 class made sure of that lol

Rich, fine job on the trailer jack, looks like you used a mig gun? I'm sure it's fine if you did, but i have to say this... mig guns are awesome, but they have penetration problems out of position or if run too cold, and porosity problems if it's not perfectly clean. Stick welding, while not as user friendly, will work in all positions to make welds that meet structural codes. Mig is actually not allowed for out of position structural work. Are there settings that can make out of position welds, yes, are there different wires that can be used, yes (dual shield is the best), but for the average guy, a stick welder will do position work everytime, with rusty plate, outside in a breeze. Get some high deposition rods and you would be hard pressed to keep up using a single phase machine under 50 amps. Stick welders are more versatile too, and all you do is change rods.

Cory you could easily pick up on welding, not that hard at all...mig welding is point and pull trigger...and once you figure out heat settings your welds will get better as you go...

Digging the welding info for rookies here.

Ok, the most basic of questions-how much $ to buy a stick welder and what kind of electrical deal do you need. A basic regular 3 prong shop plug I suspect is not enough?

I always figured welding should be left to pros, and I'm sure it should for critical welds, but for little repairs and fabs it would be nice to be able to do. Its a pita leaving equipment all day at the welders when it just needs little repairs.

Back