Hunting 2013

The Trumpeter Swan has made quite a come back. Sandhill cranes too. . We always have a pair that nests and raises their young near the house here. There is a hunting season on them. But I can't figure out why someone would want to shoot a swan. People ain't That hungry yet. At least not in Alaska.

Should pull a tag this year... One for Kat, one for Rob and one for me. We have a few bucks just wandering into the front yard here..... Freezer could stand a couple anyway :D

Can you translate that subsistence thing for a non-native?
Is it like when Inuit get to hunt whales, because they are a traditional part of their diet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Or is it a deal where guys can get greedy and kill extra game to put on their wall?

Most of subsistence caribou is pretty much just that. Meat hunting. . Rural Alaska residents can get a tag or tags to take animals via fair chase. .the Nupiak, Whale hunts are a totally different deal. But they are still subsistence.

The general caribou season is closed around here during the rut. So during the 2 nd season it is best to take bulls because the cows are mostly prego. . The bulls have already passed on their genetics. If a bull is a trophy then that's fine. But if he's already lost his antlers that's just how it goes.
Some subsistence hunts the antlers must be in some way destroyed. Usually by breaking the skull plate.
The cities in Alaska hold the bulk of the states population. The city people wanted to have subsistence rights. Which is retarded. Our legislators couldn't come up with a plan that the feds were happy with so the feds took over the hunting on federal land. Which is a HUGE part of the state.
Much of the Coastal deer hunts are on federal land. But, the state owns the beach. So it gets complicated. On Native Corporation land as a general rule they do what ever they want. And get away with it.
The most kill crazy, slothful game wasting @#$%&*-;:"!#@$%& you can't imagine. .
About half of them are good hunters. The Indians on the ice free coasts tend to be good hunters and good shots. The also hunt seals and sea otters so they need to be good shots. But up north, lots of the younger ones will use a high capacity assault rifle. Or whatever they can get their hands on and just blaze away at the herd. . Whatever falls over, they might butcher and bring home. But what runs off, oh well.

There is too much wanton waste of meat in Alaska. Most if it done by the city hunters.
In the past some of the guides were very bad about wasting the meat also. The clients don't want to pay to have their meat flown out so the guides would just let it go. A.D.F.+G. Now has helicopters so dealing with the meat gets lots of priority now.

Lots of people think bow hunters are just, ohh, soo cool. Well this week there is a story in the news where some bow hunters used an air boat to herd a moose in the Knik river area and shot it from the boat. . They got BUSTED . Now A.D.F.+G will have another air boat they can use.:D:lol:

The Nipponese hunt the Minka whales for "research" purposes. The flesh that is sold is stated to be merely a ramification of the research. Funny, you never hear anything about what the research is telling. Whale is really tasty, but I refrain from eating it. Admittedly, sometimes the main economic stability of a coastal village might be based on whale hunting, and it has been that way for generations.

Lots of people think bow hunters are just, ohh, soo cool. Well this week there is a story in the news where some bow hunters used an air boat to herd a moose in the Knik river area and shot it from the boat. . They got BUSTED . Now A.D.F.+G will have another air boat they can use.:D:lol:

I wouldn't judge bowhunters as a whole by that. Many rifle hunters would jump at the opportunity to pull that same stunt.

I agree. Im an avid bowhunter but my ethics come first. Its archery season for whitetails here in PA right now. They're still unpressured, and on very predictable feeding patterns. I could fill my tag by this time next week if I wanted. But Im not. Didn't get my bow out this summer and put in my time polishing up my shooting for the year. Im a decent shot, but it takes me some time before each season to iron out a few small kinks for shots past 20 yards. Once Im in the groove, Im set. But I refuse to take my bow out without putting in the time beforehand to get my shooting in good order. I might start shooting now and try and be on top of my game when the rut pattern develops? Hard to say.

One of the biggest buck Ive ever laid eyes on in the woods stood broadside, facing away from me in the woods 2 years ago. He was 35 yards out. I guesstimate him to have scored 160". He made my eyes cross. I didn't even draw back by bow to shoot him. I never shot 35 yards consistently, and was way too worked up when I saw him. There's a decent chance I could have double lunged him and slapped a tag on his ass. But I stopped myself and said I'd rather see him walk away then see him run away with an arrow in his guts.

Nice, Chris. Ethical hunters are the best.

Do you use a compound? I've done alot of target shooting with them in the past and it seems like up to 40 yds was cake, using field points. I had bad luck getting broadheads dialed though.

I do use a compound. I will admit I am not the best archer out there. I can ruin the fletchings on a half dozen arrows out to 20 yards in 45 minutes, but after 20 I have to work at it. The truth is that I need to have my eyes checked. Last year I had a tough time with my bow sights and thought its time for new ones. Then I had a tough time with pistol sights, and thought I needed different sights. Then, throughout this year, rifle scopes have started becoming a challenge.....

Regarding broadheads, they don't shoot as well as field points typically. Some do, a lot dont

Everybody needs to get their eyes checked. A few tests in a few minutes can save your sight, and you may have already lost vision and not know it.

Ethical hunters are the best.

You said it mang. I loathe assholes that give all the ethical hunters a bad rap by their actions.

While I was Muzzleloader elk hunting this year, my buddy and I were driving up to our next hunting spot early one morning and was stopped by WA DFW and they checked our licenses and made sure the muzzleloaders weren't capped while in the vehicle. Which ours were not. He said he'd written over 30 fines for capped muzzleloaders in vehicles (including ATV's) this season. The most he's ever written up. Not to mention they caught 2 cats that poached a branched antler bull in a "spikes only" unit the morning prior. Caught them in the act.

But alas... we didn't bring any elk meat home ourselves. Now it is modern firearm deer season here. I also have bear and cat tags... but have yet to fill them either. :)

Gary

It was a topic of discussion during my trip to NH recently. Some loggers were telling me about the dead moose they find in the woods each spring.

This may sound controversial, but it seems to me you could use some more wolves to cull the weak, tick infested ones.

Wonder if Wolves can catch Monkeys? There is talk about reintroducing the Wolf here, mainly for the Deer population running amok. Nice to take care of the Monkeys too, as they have no predators and basically laugh at humans while stealing from them.

Our wolf populations are doing a number on other species in the states they exist in. A lot of the US isn't vast enough to support a wolf population without major conflicts. I don't have an opinion on them as I have not co-existed with them in my life.

We don't need any more wolves. . . Some pretty blinded research if they aren't smart enough to equate wolves introduced into a moose area with a decline in moose population.
Talk about $#!+ fer brains.

Back