Hunting 2013

That is the whole idea.
If one way out of the tick problem is to cull the moose population, wolves do that a whole lot better than hunters.
Wolves go for the weak, hunters cull from the top.
I should specify, trophy hunters, I suppose.

We have enough wolves in my state. WA is now researching, and discussing opening up wolf hunts to help control them too. They have done a real number on a lot of species... not just game animals.

Gary

How does lowering the number of moose via hunting or wolves make the remaining moose more resistant to tick infestation??

"The solution to the tick problem might be, paradoxically, more moose hunting. “It’s up to the public,” she said. “We could kill more if we want healthy moose.” "

I was simply quoting from the article that you posted. And since I favour natural predation instead of hunting, I suggested wolves. ( knowing, of course, what the reaction from the resident hunters would be:lol:)

Unless you hunt swans in city parks in Russia, it is most likely the wrong thread, Andrew:lol:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's the "Photography" thread. Im like a guard dog with this thread. Which is hypocritical because Im a compulsive derailer.

I'm sorry I introduced wolves into your hunting thread, then.
Feel free to exterminate them:lol:

I'm sure that if they reintroduced Wolves here, if one would happen to wander into town, they would quickly blow it away, just like they do the Bears.

I went for coffee at 8; no deer on the road. I returned at 8:25;dead deer on side of road. MMMM backstraps for dinner and the coyotes still get to eat tonight. Pre Rut is on here for deer, so they are moving more. I will probably get ten calls In the next few weeks for road kill. The local police and highway department have my number. Most are junk though.

They'll call to see if I am interested in taking it. Here, if you hit a deer, you are entitled to the animal. If you do not want it there is a list of people that may take it. I never asked to be on the list, but somehow got there.
Cops are too lazy to fill out paperwork about a discharged weapon or even get their hands dirty. About nine yrs ago, I got a call from my girlfriend saying someone had hit a deer in front of her. I was there as the cop arrived. I said I'd take the deer, but he said he couldn't leave unless it was dead. He missed point blank twice before I cut its throat. He was more mad about the paper work than he was about missing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well who has been hunting. I sure have. Ive just now gotten out with my bow after knocking the dust off myself. I picked up where I left off last and actually am shooting better then I ever have. Knock on wood. Been grouse and woodcock hunting. Last Saturday discovered the mecca of grouse spots but my GSP decided to go a round or two with a porcupine so our hunting was cut short. Shot some ducks last Saturday night. Going to boil and wax my traps this week and do a layout field hunt for geese on Saturday. Going to bowhunt a hot area of PA next Monday and Tuesday evenings also.

Anyone happen to see the vids on youtube by the avid hunter woman? She hunts with both a bow and a rifle. Some of her arrow shots seem to be kind of long looping, then the animal runs off with the arrow sticking out, including Bear. I wonder about the degree of penetration? She doesn't mention if she was able to find the critter. Just curious what you guys might think about her practices if you have seen them. She shoots a lot of Turkeys in her vids, and also shows some hunts in Arica. Pretty gutsy lady, bow shooting a large Bear, a frontal shot at close range with the animal walking towards her.

Nice idea if the Leopards would reduce the disagreeable chimps, but if Leopards also hunt humans, it would never fly. The government seems to think that they need to protect everyone to a ridiculous degree. Some wild pig killed a guy attending to his apple orchard fairly recently. They found the footprints all around the deceased. They had hunters up there in mass, but no pig.

Back