Hunting 2013

Chris, did you happen to see the video documentary of the guy (Helmo?) and his wife that live isolated up in the arctic circle....I mean really isolated? Highly recommend it if you didn't. I've been curious about something. He has no option but to kill bears that come into his living area, being a trapper with a lot of meat around, plus he mentioned one killing a dog earlier. Shot one at night, but by the next morning when he and the people doing the filming went out there to deal with the dead bear, it stunk to high hell. Does putrefy happen so soon, or maybe something else would cause that? It didn't seem like the meat could be salvageable, but they did take the hide, I believe.

Yeah, I think I might have posted it here. i loved it, being alone in such pristine wilderness, raising a family out there. Has to keep a gun handy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Canines spoil FAST. Their guts have such a cocktail of food in it that the guts start tainting the meat almost at once. A coyote will go bad even in the freezer if the guts are in. The skin becomes green on the inside and the fur slips out. Its called green gut. Any chance of keeping a canine from spoiling is to gut them at once or hang them by their hind legs so the guts lay down in the chest cavity.

I am not sure about Bear, but I shot an Elk, body temp about 98.6. The next morning, it was bad. I mean real bad. We would have retrieved it the night before, but the danger of bear attack was eminent in that area. A body maintains and can generate heat within itself postmortem.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
So who else is getting ready for some hunting? Duck and grouse season starts next weekend here. I don't care much about duck hunting but I like to join some family and work my lab, Logger, for the other shooters. Sometimes I do some shooting, but my passion is my dogs. Even grouse hunting. I might kill less then 5 grouse a year, but put up 50-100 birds. I get my jollies watching my german shorthair make a solid point. I have started doing much less killing in the last few years. If I kill my limit of game, then what? I have to go home. Id rather a nice morning of working the dogs, maybe take one for the table before Im done.

Well. I worked all thru moose season and most of the first caribou season. Now with the feds shut down, of course they have to make it hurt as much as possible so our federal subsistence 2 nd bou season may not open. But all fur season opens soon or is open. We don't have snow on the ground down here but prolly will soon. Then the snow camo goes on and the 6.5 Creedmoor gets a snow camo job. . And I start calling predators

I like German shorthairs, they have springs for legs! I have vizslas, we don't hunt but they would love to, very fixated on birds. And running fools fwiw.

Really great pic. !!!!!
I was outside last night just before midnight and heard a trumpeter swan fly by. . I think a predator must have tried to get it where it was over nighting. Sure did sound lonely. I don't remember ever hearing one at night.

If it sounded lonely it was probably remembering back when there was only a few thousand of them left.
Talk about teetering on the brink of extinction

Canada geese fly at night a lot, maybe the trumpeters do too

Pretty soon swans will be moving in here from Siberia for their winter home stay. They settle into flooded rice fields and slow moving rivers and often get fed, become a tourist attraction. Must be good fertilizer for the fields. I hear them honking at night sometimes, they move around a bit. In the dark they all huddle in the middle away from the banks, it must provide protection from Fox and other predators.

Back