Hunting 2015

Hunting season is all done here except late doe season. I like to wait for the fuss of deer season to pass. I'm heading out to thin out pigs this weekend. I've been meat poor too danged long.

In the future, we hopefully have elk. Our trail cams caught 2 different bulls and 7 different (group pic) cows. They are escapees from a high fenced operation. I'm hopeful they'll populate to the point I can add some of that tastiness to the pot. For now, we have a rule that they are off-limits. (State sees them as invasive exotics). (btw, northwest of San Antonio about 120 miles)

After the hunt is before the hunt, where's the 2016 thread??

One for every year seems cool to me, but Im just reading, not hunting.

Visited with the gunsmith today at NAPA.

Was not a good visit.............

My 25-06 improved project is back on. Looking forward to that!

He has devolved a new cartridge and got dies made by Redding.

It is a 6.8 SPC round necked down to .22. He is getting 3750 out of a 25 inch barrel with a proprietary powder. 3600 with out it. The dies are 700 bucks!

He is building them on AR-15 actions, only needs a new carrier and bolt. I have an action that I am not doing anything with......Every time Obama gives a speech the actions disappear.

I really dont have the money to spend, but it is an interesting idea. The prairie dog town just north of the house could use some new fancy weaponry.

3750 fps is cruising Jim. Will the dies for that cartridge neck the 6.8 down properly or would you have to buy brass? I've transformed quite a few 30-06 into .270 by simply running it through the resizing die and I don't own an 06 so I don't have to worry about getting them mixed up. I'm not sure what would happen if you fired a .270 round in a 30-06 barrel.

Yes, he makes the brass.

Not sure if it a mulit die set with forming dies or not, i will ask him. I am sure he ends up trimming and he said he is going to have to start annealing.

The remington brass he gets has the large primer pocket and is notnas good as the Hornady with the small pocket. The small pocket does a better job containing the pressure.

Ray or Willie....you guys that hunt Bear.... what do you think of the activity in this vid? I know little about it, but it seems odd to me that someone would be trying to kill a bear at very close range like these guys, where they have to end up using a rifle. Why inflict additional pain on an animal if you can kill it quicker when hunting. I'm not criticising bow hunting, just wondering your take on the method here. Maybe they should have been in better cover where the animal wouldn't see them? Thanks.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/RBROvDcW1ic" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I used to live there, Kodiak brown bear is solely a trophy animal, I don't think anyone eats them. Massive top of the food chain animal. To take one with a bow (sticks and stones) is the epitome though no shame in using a rifle. You need that distance for penetration, you noticed the lighted nock? Must've hit a rib, didn't penetrate well, wasn't a great angle, hit too far back. Bear didn't know what hit him till he saw those guys. In Kodiak you don't hunt without a heavy rifle or a big pistol in case you cross a bear. To hunt the little Sitka blacktail I used a 7MM mag up there, those guys backed up the bow with a big rifle, lucky he had a guide with composure to put that thing down with 1 shot on the charge. To sum up my opinion, the only thing wrong was shot placement and angle, should've let the bear broad side or angle away a bit to catch both lungs and maybe the heart.

That's for sure. 2 bad shots at close range with a compound bow? Lame AF I'd say.

Willie, you say they needed the short range for penetration, but with a compound?

I guess it depends on if he sees you or not, and how close.

If he charges you, thats good. You can put another round in him.

If he scampers off into the trees, he might go frisking over and eat someone else up. With dangerous game you have a responsibility to KEEP it your problem, not make it some Girl Scout troop's problem!

A laser range finder, for the bow shooter.

That's for sure. 2 bad shots at close range with a compound bow? Lame AF I'd say.

Willie, you say they needed the short range for penetration, but with a compound?

Like Jim said, there is a lot to get through everything on a bear is tough, then figure a 1400 pounder? Our baby black bear here dig up ground bees nests and chew away while the bees swarm them, they could care less.

Is a wounded Bear more likely to charge it's attacker than run away if it has the strength?
I think the video answered that question!

Right, Willie, I certainly noticed that charge. i was just wondering if a Bear's consciousness associates the pain from a wound with people that it sees, or perhaps it takes umbrage and wants to attack without making a connection.

The fancy bears may be a little more prone to attack a human out of hunger. But your normal average black bear ain't going to do sh-t to a person unless they're really messed up.

Back