Hunting 2015

Yeah, no first hand experience. My gunsmith friend says about 200 or 250 fps faster. Still no .257 Weatherby, but not bad!

Of course you wont have to load max, but he did say that often times his 25 imp shoots best at max. He likes improved rounds, they dont stretch!

His current favorite is 260 short mag, but I wanted something a bit more traditional. His buddy at Lilja was back ordered so I dont even know if we have a barrel yet!

My friend has built exactly 1 stock. He hated the job Jay.

We had a stock maker in the area for a while. My favorite was a birds eye maple stock on a Mark V Weatherby. I was about 15 when he died, and he had Alzheimer's a while before that. I could have not afforded one anyway!

Did you like the job Jay? Did you use walnut?

Jim, a Walnut stock. I enjoyed it, but a whole lot of assembling, close fitting a little at a time, then breaking down. I imagine that the majority of stocks now get shaped by computerised milling machines, perhaps some hand fitting to finish off with. All done from a square lump of wood to the finished polished stock completely by hand, it's quite a chore. Respect to people that do it regularly, and there must be some tricks to it. In Northern California I know of one outfit, Calico Hardwoods. They build a lot of stocks and offered them in different woods and grades based on the wood figure. I could sometimes buy Walnut from them. Their stocks are butt shaped but i don't think the fitting was provided for any particular gun, that part was left just squared off. They had much cornered the market on orchard Walnut trees that were removed from the Stockton area of California, a big Walnut growing region for the nuts. Paid the farmers pennies but took everything and ground the stumps. A heck of a lot of trees would be removed every year when they became unsatisfactory producers.

Entry aiming at shoulder angling back to take out heart lungs. Exit was normal exit for caliber.

2015does%20012_zpsjnwq9kpk.jpg

Right lower entry. Left upper exit wound channel. The insides were a mess.

skinneddeers15%20005_zpsieob5wqe.jpg

Between these and all the fish we should eat swell this winter.

skinneddeers15%20008_zps1pqhswfc.jpg

Not sure what's wrong, Jim. I just tried the link and it worked for me. Like I said it is an old and dated film about the making of a flintlock rifle, start to finish. It is a good reminder of the incredible talent and dedication it took to fabricate these state-of-the-art weapons of their day.

If you are interested you could try a search for the Gunsmith of Williamsburg.

I saw the machinery used to make Pennsylvania rifles at a museum near Lancaster Pa. The bit that put the rifling in looked like it would take many many hours to complete. Landis Valley Museum. Very worth a visit. It covers all the old tools, equipment, housing, etc.etc.etc. Huge collection.

This must be the vid that Dave mentions.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lui6uNPcRPA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Got out in the Sierra's for some quail hunting.

got into a few covey's, steep tough terrain, dirt was very slick after rain but I stayed up on all two's..lol

eVIv1Gdl.jpg

Just a few miles up the rd was a lot more snow, but the birds were on the south slopes where the sun was melting the snow

TVPAMQ9l.jpg

I breast em out and put em in a lightly butterd pan on medium heat and add some McCormicks Montreal steak seasoning....I cook Doves the same way, turns out great ;)

Back