Hunting 2015

I'm often in awe after shed horn hunting at the size of horns in areas I've hunted ave never seen those guys.
It's the same with our whitetails here too Willie. We've got a lot of trail cameras on our property and get many pictures of big bucks that are never seen in the flesh. Their ability to evade man is almost supernatural. That's why I love hunting them.

It's the same with our whitetails here too Willie. We've got a lot of trail cameras on our property and get many pictures of big bucks that are never seen in the flesh. Their ability to evade man is almost supernatural. That's why I love hunting them.

I think that is amazing!!8)

It's not always about who the "real man" is. deer.jpg

Daughter of a pro fisherman my son paints custom crankbaits for. (shameless plug) :D

You say meat. ;) The one I just cut the shoulder off after the 444 marlin 265gr FTX Hornaday did its thing on entry. :O

Couple from opening gun season Monday off my land.

skinneddeers15 008.jpg

Over 3,000 ft-lbs at the muzzle is serious energy. I've been threatening some of those LEVERevolution loads for an old Marlin 30-30 which was my first deer rifle. I'd like to shoot one more with it and maybe a hog or two for old time's sake. It's good to shake up the peta types every now and then, brings 'em back to reality.

I have some LeverRev loads for my 45-70.

I would like to shoot that rifle more, but the stoopid crescent but stock does not fit my shoulder well. Its an '86 Winchester.

I was going to go 45-70 for hand loading. But I went with the 444 for out of the box right now. Plus memories of the first 444 I shot in the 80's of a friends.

Maybe your 45-70 would fit my shoulder better. ;):D hint hint 8)

Not to me.

Then again I didnt think a 50BMG Bullpup was all that bad either.

I have some LeverRev loads for my 45-70.

I would like to shoot that rifle more, but the stoopid crescent but stock does not fit my shoulder well. Its an '86 Winchester.

I had to know.

I see what your talking about now. :O @ crescent butt stock

Model-1886-Short-Rifle-MID-534175-m.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Factory 45-70 ammo is anemic at best. Loaded way the hell down as not to blow up older guns. Look that the numbers, they don't lie. Hand loaded or a brand like buffalo bore is the way to getting your 45-70 to act like a 45-70.

Yeah, it is one of those reproductions from Japan with the safety on the tang, 26 inch octagon barrel. I would love to find a shot gun style stock for it, but for some silly reason they are hard to find.

Maybe a replacement stock for a model 71 could be made to fit, they were designed pretty well.

Yep, I have some heavy buffalo bore stuff and some light black powder equivalent loads. Some LeverEvo loads too. Damn thing is just too pointy, leaves two bruises on my ample shoulder.

I have some dies and cases, just never got excited about it after it was found to be un shootable.

444 is an awesome gun! Ive been wanting one for a long time.

buffalo bore kick hard in the 45-70 but nothing us tree guys cant handle ;) ;)

FireFighterZero just a though take it to a gunsmith. Cut the stock and go with rubber butt pad to make up the length cut off. Should be able to fit it to you real nice that way.

Thought of some other suggestions if you dont want to cut the stock. But get you shooting that big dawg.

This at cabelas
i221948sq01.jpg

or last idea wear a shooters shoulder pad for shooting big guns.

Yeah, I have thought about that. One of my good friends is a great gunsmith, I lease him some land for hunting. We trade for gunsmithing!

I was worried about how narrow the butt is. With that crescent plate it looks about half as thick as a shotgun style. Would be better than how it is now though!

I should go visit him any way. He was building me a 25-06 improved for coyotes and I have not checked on progress lately!

The regular 25-06 is a deadly deer cartridge too Jim. An apprentice of mine killed several truckloads with his and I imagine with 75 grain bullets it would be sudden death on coyotes shot anywhere but a toenail. I'm curious how barrels hold up to maximum loads cruising at 4,000 fps. I guess the improved version has even more powder capacity?

I don't know how gunsmiths build stocks, whether they get partially milled blanks to begin with or not, but I built a stock for a Mannlicher rifle once, and found it to be a very tricky job to fit around all the metal parts and not leave an excess of wood. I had the original to go by that had been broken in a car accident. It was very thin in a few places.

Back