Fiskars Tool Quality?

i used to own a fiskars, handle broke off and there i was with a nice teflon coated steel wedge… i prefer tool‘s i can fix myself and altough i could‘ve welded on a piece of pipe…. no more fiskars axe‘s for me. i like their pole-pruner and they make cheap serrated kitchen knife‘s that cut bracing very well.
So how did the handle get broken? Mine is years old and doesn't look any worse for the age.

Depends a bit. I like wood handles but I've been using this yellow handle for more than twenty years.
No problem with my hands, and they aren't the best.

Bought this green thing off Facebook for $5. Too good a price to pass up.
One hit and vibration down to my toes.
Yellow one split that block no problem.
$28 for a wood handle now, but I'll probably get one just to see the difference.

View attachment 135958
I have a 6lb cyclone block splitter and wish I could get an 8 up here. Shipping was gonna be $95 just for a head…

What's the secret to getting more than a season or two from a wooden handle? Just never miss? Missed plenty of times with the x27 still ok.

What's the secret to getting more than a season or two from a wooden handle? Just never miss? Missed plenty of times with the x27 still ok.
You can use linseed oil on them. Storing them inside or covered will keep them fresh as well. That's all I know.

You only need to do the oiling once or twice a year.

Yeah, don't miss. Lolz. Put the piece you're splitting as far back on your chopping block as you can, and stop trying to reach across the target.

metal strike protection ferrule. stating the obvious but not all wood is created equal, the grain has to allign properly and also not run out.. best to split out the blank but most storebought handles will be sawed out with no thought given to alignment…

I have split enough wood that I don't overstrike anymore for the most part. Back when I did i took an old tube and cut a strip and wrapped the handle with it. If you used black duct tape to hold it it wouldn't look too bad. I remember it working well.

I don't overstrike much at all anymore either. A few years back, I was splitting with a wedge and a 20 lbs sledge. I managed to get the tip of my right index finger between the handle and the piece I had just split. Essentially that fingertip became an overstrike bumper. Shattered the bone into 7 pieces.

That'll learn ya quick!

Wife heard the swearing, and by the time I came in, she had the kiddo ready to go to town and was on her way out. Solid, dependable woman, and I'm lucky to have her.

I still swear evertime I overstrike, and if she's home, my wife will come and check on me. I always say "10 and 10" meaning that I haven't amputated anything. I don't beat wedges to split anymore, if the axe ain't enough, the 34 ton hydraulic splitter is. Oh, and that big hammer, isn't anymore. The head is mounted in a cedar round as an anvil, the handle holds my truck box open. Apparently I wasn't qualified to operate that piece of equipment.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
My problem is burying the head, but it isn't wide enough to pass the handle so it barks up the handle. I've never missed with my Ochsenkoph light splitter, but I need a new handle, or will soon. It's taking on more than the axe was meant for.

Back