Hunting 2013

Most Alaskan's know about selling bear gall bladder. It's totally illegal as it should be.

Ya, Orientals don't seem to have an Empathy gene or something.
I have a like/ hate relationship with bears. But then I have to deal with them in the brush on a regular basis. . But if they need killing they should be shut off like a switch Not tortured.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Its amazing how people can behave like demons in exchange for money.

Often they had no money earlier or still only a minimal amount, that is why. Misery does things to your head. A more magnanimous perspective can be a luxury thing. Still, you would think it would get to them. Look at Michael Vick, the law got to him first over dog fighting.

My dad said after studying the different cam pics he see's 15 scoreable points. I havent counted that many, but not looking to close yet either for measurable points.

deer 2013 107.jpg

Finally got the big bear Ive been wanting for years now. That's me with the rifle. My close friend John (owner of the bear hounds) in the center, and his good friend and cameraman Mike on the left. I got him in the White Mountains in New Hampshire on Monday morning. I killed this boar with a rifle that was owned by an older man that was a close friend and mentor to me while he was alive. His eyes went bad in his 50's and he could no longer shoot guns. He was an avid shooter and gun collector. He used to send me out his door with 6 guns at a time and boxes upon boxes of ammo. It brought a smile to his face to see me take his guns and shoot them and enjoy them as he no longer could. I would return a handful, and he would give me a bunch more. I wanted to take that bear with one of his rifles because I know it would have brought a ton of joy to him to know one of his toys was on my back climbing a mountain in pursuit of a trophy bear.

Sorry, I just don't have the hunter gene. I'd hate to be that dead bear... he was a magnificent creature.

Thats a monster!

I think it is always a bit sad to see a wild animal killed but if it is done humanely and with fair chase, then it's hard to argue. Sport hunting fees and laws are what keep many if not most game species healthy as a whole, and animals are going to die in the wild likely a more painful death than a quick humane one by bullet.

What are you going to do with the hide etc? How did you bag him, what are his dimensions? Exactly how crusty is your buddy John;)??

Congrats on your success.

Butch, that's best suited for the "Anti Hunting Thread". You know dat!

Wild game, in this day and age, is best managed with controlled harvesting. If not, it has proven time and again that they over populate and wipe themselves out by way of starvation, in breeding, and disease. That didn't matter hundreds of years ago. I think its much nicer to watch populations maintained by responsible sportsmen then to watch species diminish, only to repopulate in our grandkids lifetime.

Thats a monster!

I think it is always a bit sad to see a wild animal killed but if it is done humanely and with fair chase, then it's hard to argue. Sport hunting fees and laws are what keep many if not most game species healthy as a whole, and animals are going to die in the wild likely a more painful death than a quick humane one by bullet.

What are you going to do with the hide etc? How did you bag him, what are his dimensions? Exactly how crusty is your buddy John;)??

Congrats on your success.

Not sure of the specs entirely. I'll get back to you on that. John is a real live 100% mountain man. Not a pretend one. The absolute real thing. Im talking lived in the woods for years in his 20's (no house), grew up with a pet mountain lion.... I have seen proof of these things by the way. He is a very humble and giving man. I've learned a lot from him about life itself.

Excellent!! Beautiful bear. What rifle did u use? Bullet? .

Butch, a guy I know just got chewed up pretty good in down town Hoonah Alaska. That makes 5 people that I know personally that have been under a brown bear. Just in Hoonah. Since people have lived therefore a long long time the oft quoted argument that ( the bears were there first) doesn't really hold water.
More like punks in brown fur coats. . Keeping the predator population down really helps the prey species. And in the case of bears more cubs will survive because adult bears will prey on cubs .

I used a little Winchester 94 30-30. 170 grain Sierra Flat Nose with a slightly compressed load of RL15.

John is a real live 100% mountain man. Not a pretend one. The absolute real thing. Im talking lived in the woods for years in his 20's (no house), grew up with a pet mountain lion..

You mean like Hatchet Jack??Jerimiah Johnson reference..

I think that one of the guys in the group, Alabama, was a mountain man. Such that he became a little too rough for the group image apparently, so they kicked him out.

Just bustin Chris. That is a very sweet kill IMO! You have been at it. Whatcha gonna do with it? Head or full? Lots of Sausage.

Half mount coming out of the wall. Yes Bud, you know Ive been at it hard in the last few years to get a nice bear. Im content now. Im itching to hunt elk......

Back