Headphones

Nutball

TreeHouser
What headphones do you like?

Hard to beat cheap if you don't have to spend a lot. There are times when I can't find good reviews and quality without buying the best, but in this case roughly $10 gets the job done quite nicely.

Panasonic RP-HT21 have a good smooth frequency response range even down to deep bass in quiet environments, which is what I need for pipe organ music which uses the whole rated frequency range of these headphones. Most subwoofers are only good down to about 30-60hz, which is where most music bass extends to.

20240307_173607.jpg

20240307_173547.jpg

20240307_173726.jpg

I got a new pair. Now I just need to fix the old ones I dropped which popped the magnet loose, and broke the adjuster.

20240307_174041.jpg

I don't like headphones. I don't like anything in or over my ears. I only wear hearing protection to prevent damage. I have some music muffs that sound ok, but I'm not sure where they even are. I bought them on a whim, used them a couple times, and they're /somewhere/.

I pretty much always have AirPods Pro 2's with me, noise cancelling is beautiful, and the AirPods are more socially accepted than orange earplugs. 😂

The subs in my living room get down to 15hz, but they're much more alive around 20hz.

I don't really like them either and don't use them much since moving here but I've had these for years and they work very well. Had a corded set as well but these are better.

WestCoastHiFi_Sennheiser_RS120_1-819x1024-1.jpg

I bought my wife a pair of those Raycon ear buds. They're absolutely awesome. Plus, they're Bluetooth, so no wires to tangle or get in the way.

The wife got me some jbl ear buds, holy crap noise canceling is awesome. They do have the annoying feature of wanting to fall out of my ears at the worst possible moment, most notably down an oil drain yesterday :lol: i was able to get it and clean it, and then ordered some cheap ones for work that have the little clip that goes around your ear, hopefully they work about the same but won't fall off and disappear.

"Raycons come with different sized silicone earpieces, for a nearly custom fit" -everyone with a raycon sponsorship
Suckers stay in, even when I'm dripping sweat and upside down.

JBL makes some great suff. I've had several of their Bluetooth speakers over the years, and they're about as tough as hammer heads. The one I have currently is nearly unrecognizable, but still works great.

It'll fall out most often when I'm tilting my head and reaching (think welding the bottom of a pipe kind of motion), it must stretch my ear just enough to let them pop loose. I've tried all the different sizes too, so it's a me problem. No biggie, the jbl ones aren't great for work, i end up not wearing them as much as i would like because i don't want to lose them.

I could see that, and with a welding hood on, you can't exactly mash your ear to your shoulder to cram it back in.

I've had a few ear-hooky types, but they've gone to the wayside now that Bluetooth buds fit under earpro. And I can turn them way down and they last a lot longer.

These jbl ones are nuts, they last forever and fully charge in 2 hours, amazing how much i forget that music is often designed to be listened to with headphones to really take advantage of the stereo effect. I haven't done any headphones for years since way back in the day they banned them from most jobsites and they just didn't hold up, not to mention the cord. I got my wife some noise canceling ones so she could have some peace around the kids, but i had never tried the newer noise canceling type. One of the first days i had these we were working on a bunch of big compressed air stuff, super loud, and i was amazed at how the world simply turned off when you hit the noise canceling. And they're back in a huge way on jobsites again, usually just 1 ear so you can hear fine until you're gonna need heavy noise reduction, then you toss the second one in. The ability to have hands free communication in loud environments is amazing too, i find myself putting them in whenever i make a phone call lol.

Last edited:
Nutball, good share, I need some new ones for the puter.

Noise canceling? Ear muffs not needed?

So I gather Noise cancelling is not for cancelling Big noise, just quieter stuff that might interfere with music listening etc.

The wife got me some jbl ear buds, holy crap noise canceling is awesome. They do have the annoying feature of wanting to fall out of my ears at the worst possible moment, most notably down an oil drain yesterday :lol: i was able to get it and clean it, and then ordered some cheap ones for work that have the little clip that goes around your ear, hopefully they work about the same but won't fall off and disappear.
You can duct tape them in your ears.

Back