Avant Wheel Loaders

lumberjack

Young man on the go
So I've been a been a proponent of the Gehl wheel loaders since they came out ~4.5 years ago. I've played with the Avant's at trade shows, but until last weekend, I hadn't lifted a piece of wood with one. Last week I picked one up to make videos with and get an impression of the nuances of the machine. I stopped by and saw FJR and used it at one of his jobs trim jobs and then we played with it more at the shop. I was quite impressed by the 420. The 400, 500, and 600 series machines can fit sideways on a truck, move 7.5-13.6mph, and lift 108"+. Right now, the narrowest tire option leaves them 39" wide, but I'm going to look for ways to get the 420 under 36". Let me know what you're wanting to see, I'll be posting some working and chipping videos in the coming weeks. If you're wanting to see one working, let me know and I'll see what we can work out (I have 7200 miles of driving scheduled over the next two months).

Here's the video of the first 420 sold in the US (to us). I compared it to the AL340 and the 750 in this video:
<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/LsGEsJLiHg4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Then here's my first video of the 420 here in Mississippi.
<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/aaZwAiUAgVc?list=UU47Bb9U4xK0oKCGPsbLP__A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have a chainsaw scabbard kit which will be coming standard on the 2015 BMG grapples. Post on this thread if you want a chance to win the scabbard. I'll pay shipping. Giveaway closes... say 1/3/15 at some point central time.

Screen Shot 2014-12-27 at 11.40.13 PM copy.jpg

We have one here and I have no idea how we would be without it, saying that it's the first machine iv used and have no experience of others. It can fit in tight spots, lift big lumps and leaves very little damage. Only downside for me is its crap in soft conditions, but that would also mean it would cause damage in 'normal' conditions with deep treaded tyres. So that's a pro and a con.

Do you have the anti slip valve? Also, the 600 series 12.5" wide tires will fit the 420. 50% more flotation than the standard 8.5" wide tires.

I changed the shipping from North America to BMG owners anywhere.

Yes have the anti slip valve but on uneven ground I just wouldn't say it can go ANYWHERE. Has its limitations but we mostly do domestic work, therefore it's more important for us not to destroy property owners kaons which the avant does incredibly well. That's my only flaw, oh and the back end isn't allways heavy enough for the timber I try and lift :D.
Do you know if you can get extra counterweights for them?

You have a 420, Jake?

There are counterweights as well as the brush guard/rear bumper I sell.

The saw scabbard kit is an add on to the BMG (Branch Manager Grapple) that allows carrying a saw (or two) on the BMG. Do you have a BMG?

The 420 is very impressive. It holds the advantage over a mini in every category aside from machine width. What's even better is that the machine has a seat warmer, and .... a cup holder. Have to have a cup holder. :)

If I were looking to buy my first machine to forward material, this would be it. I think the price is very friendly for the amount of machine that you get.

The 420 out lifts the Verneer 600! It's about the same length with the grapple on.

I need narrow access. Were it not that way, an articulated machine with wide tires would be my dream.

The one issue I have heard about the avant is its inability to keep a constant pressure on the grapple. Dave touched on it some at TCIA, saying its a problem Avant has been trying to fix.

Adrian, I'll look into the pressure bleeding off... I haven't noticed that thus far. Such a problem could be fixed with pilot operated check valve fairly simply.

Here's a 660 in the BMG saw scabbard:

Here's the Avant 420 compared to the Vermeer 600. The 600 and the 420 weigh essentially the same. The 420 has the advantage of a longer distance between the machine's COG and the fulcrum (the front axle).

No gaming, here is the log the 600 couldn't pick up. I even showed the operator a trick for lifting more weight:

And here's the same log with the 420 lifting it to full height, even with me out of the seat:

Here's a real advantage to the Avant, lift height and reach:

And here's Tim, who works with FJR, sitting in the Avant:

I haven't had experience with it Carl but a friend of mine has, so we talked to Dave about it and it sounded like it was a known issue and Avant was working on a cheap fix for it.

Yep Sean, pressure bleed off. Carrying a big round that the grapple can't wrap around, the pressure bleeds off and the round falls from the grapple. From what Dave said its supposed to keep constant pressure, like my Gehl does, so the round doesn't fall from the grapple, but somewhere along the line its leaking out, and thats what Avant was trying to figure out.

Not so keen on the single piece boom on the current model, heard anecdotal about them twisting.

As valves wear, they'll bleed off some. A pilot check valve would be a cheap fix.

This year (granted it's almost over), the machine I have is $26.9k, as you see it with the grapple, rear bumper, receiver, and the auxiliary functions on the joystick. The only other option I would add is the limited slip valve, which adds about a grand. It helps it get around better since it doesn't oscillate.

The 520 costs about $4200 more, comparing lists prices. The 528 (more hp and speed) costs $6300 more than the 420, again comparing list prices. The 600 series starts pulling away price point wise, starting at $39.1k... however you can get it with a cab and ac (635 and 640) with a 2 speed transmission (640), and it will still fit sideways on a truck (100" long).

I hope to get a 528 soon for comparisons sake, and I'll be shooting a video of the Boxer 532, Gehl AL140, and the 420 hopefully this week.

Back