All time favorite saw

Odd! I've not been reading or hearing much love for the 362, most seem to think the 361 was a much better saw?
Ha, I can imagine where you got your information:lol:
I remember not that long ago from talk on these forums about any saw with an outboard clutch is a POS, now the latest rave is the outboard clutch Husky 560/562.
In those "saw test" videos when I see how poorly 90% of these guys handled the saw, I honestly can't take their advice........a chainsaw is only as good as it's operator.

My local Stihl dealer loaned me a 362 for the day to try out last fall , it was heavier then it's predecessor the 036 from my memory but the saw had good grunt and was real smooth. Giving it a muffler mod will round it out nicely.

My opinion....excellent saw

We just bought one last month for a real stupid reason.
The faller we had brought in to help out had an old 460 CAT. It seized up and he couldn't afford a new saw. Since we needed his help badly, we said we'd buy a saw and lend it to him.
Since we already have 3 441s, we decided to try out the 362.

After running it for one day, the faller got word from his dealer that his saw hadn't seized up. a piece of the CAT had broken off and got stuck on top of the piston, bending the electrode on the plug and making a minor dent in the piston.

So we bought the 362 for nothing, really.

It is, as we suspected, way too powerless for logging hardwoods, but we have found it to be an EXCELLENT climbing saw.

So Nora should be real happy with hers:D

Willard, I've gone through 4 or 5 of the 036s back in my pulp cutting days. I don't think tke 362 is any heavier, but I may have become stronger with age:lol:

I've got a couple saws myself I'm kind of custodial with .Namely a 281 Husqvarna and an 084 Stihl which belong to Tom .Fact a nice shiny Ms 660 has been residing in my garage all winter taking up space plus an 020T that I gave a new lease in life to .

Now this is not to mention how many weed wackers ,hedge trimmers and busted saws residing hither and yon I've had niether the time nor ambition to resurrect .

Willard, I've gone through 4 or 5 of the 036s back in my pulp cutting days. I don't think tke 362 is any heavier, but I may have become stronger with age:lol:
Yes my memory of my 034 [and trying out a 036] back in the pulpcutting days has slightly faded...........maybe it was just the bulkiness of the 362 that threw me off.:D

I might mention a 2100 Husqvarna I landed from some guy who blew in and out of here some time ago .One powerfull old thing when it starts .If it doesn't the SOB will wear you out pulling it over

Problem being it sat in some barn on an island off of Washington state and dissolved the fuel line in the gas tank which I've tried every thing I can think of to clean out .The black chit gets by the filter and plugs the screen in the carb. No gas no start .

One more idea which is to put a large McCulloch celulous filter in the thing .Never say die ,where there's a will there's a way .

The more I use the 046 the more I like it.
If I could break it down by job, each saw is my favorite for certain scenarios.
I can totally relate to Darin slinging that 044 and having to lug it around in tough terrain, fuel, oil, fire fighting tools, pack. That saw is perfect with power to weight. Logging I can totally see the 046. Larger sticks, 066. Thinning jobs, 044 or 036. Husky 460 ain't a slacker in that environment either. Each saw really has a niche.
Even in removals. My 036 and 044 shine when I need a larger saw aloft. For me, it is hard to think of a favorite saw when my job is somewhat diversified day to day.

Apart from the Disston, I mentioned, I feel much the same way.

Before saws got politically correct, you got more grunt per pound, but the newer saws are so much smoother and user friendly.

I had a 460 as backup saw untill it died last year.
Everytime my 441 needed to go to the shop and I picked the 460 up, I'd think" What a beast", then after an hour, it would be " I can't feel my fingers".
I'm not nostalgic about saws or much else, so I think the 15 or 16 saws I have right now are my favourites. (7½-8 actually, since Richard has a ½ share in the company.
I really hate running the ½ saw:lol:)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I was relaxed fellas. It was pre coffee. There wasn't an asshole tone to it, like it seems. If I was sharper at the time it would have had a smiley or an "lol" to put joking twist on it. I didn't intend an assholish tone.

I don't find a 046 to be to bad vibration wise. Certainly the new line of gutless saws are smoother, but man oh man. The power.........it lacks.

The 441 has plenty of power for what I use it for.
Remember, I'm a Euro logger.

I only have 18" bars on those:D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I gotcha now. I've started avoiding using long bars for an ALAP cut. I rarely make those cut anyhow. Most of my stumps are a few inches high. But when I have to, I go for the minimum bar length possible but on a big saw. Just because Id rather unfuq a shorter chain.

For sure.
I have about 15 new 18" bars in stock.
Just perfect for that saw.

When do you think the rest of the housers get tired of our bar length banter and kick us out?:lol:

Best tip I ever got for making an ALAP stump cut was to start on the high side of the stump. I rarely leave a stump more than an inch high or so unless there's a lot of root flare. I'll take the blower and blast around the stump to get most of the dirt off the bark first. But yeah, on dirty stumps I'll use the shortest bar I can and just circle the stump.

Back