All time favorite saw

Before I screwed myself all up, my Freakingstang built BB 046, even now I get a smile running that pig! I can run 3/8's, 32" bar with an 8 pin sprocket and all I have to worry about is if the oilier will keep up with the saw!
Now, I just flat love my home ported Dolmar 5100s with a 20" on it. It's really my new felling saw! I get the 046 out only when I have to because it just flat hurts to run it!

Hard to pin just one .The souped 038 Mag ,125 Mac maybe .The one I've spent the most time fiddling with is a Mac 6-10 that will crank on at over 15,000 RPM .

There are a few shelf sitters that my dad had from way back when that I would love to clean up and see what they can do. There is an 050 and an 075, I may be off on the last number of the model I can't remember. The 075 is heavier than a tank, and the gauge of the chain is bigger than anything I have seen. I wonder if they had some oomph back in the day?

Al, do you have any old Homelites hanging around? There are quite a few of those on the shelf as well. Were they the favorite saw for a lot of folks back in the day?

Homelite Super XL.

Maybe not because it was a great saw but because of sentimental reasons. My dad had a Super XL when I was growing up and he eventually gave it to me. We used it to cut down some Russian Olives when I was a young boy. Those were the first tree removals that I was part of.

I used it to cut up a storm damaged Oak that tipped over when I was a teen. My dad built a deck around the tree and it eventually failed due to root rot. My parents were out of town at the time and so that was my first solo tree removal.

I was up at our cottage all alone one time for some peace and quiet and a big storm went through. It caused a big willow tree by the drive way to fall. Once again I used to saw to clean up the mess. That entire week at the cottage was memorable.

When I started my own company my dad gave me the saw for good. I never used it for work because I would be too embarrassed using a Homelite. The saw doesn't work anymore but it still graces our shop, up on a shelf.

Husky 357xp 346, 372, 200t these are my go to saws. I would also like to add a husky 350 just because that poor little thing has gone through hell and back and still runs well for a homeowner saw in a pro environment. Affectionately named Redheaded Step Child.

That is a tough one to answer...I'm in agreement with Deva and Darin that the 044 was an absolute beauty of a saw, very hard to beat for all around utility. I like the 460 a lot too, maybe the best modern model (though the 200 rear handle sure shines bright, if in a different category altogether); but Willard rings my chime bringing up the 064...that one always makes me smile when I bring it out, mine sports a 32 inch bar pulling full skip/full chisel chain, and it eats wood with a purple passion.

If I had to pick just one, I think it would have to be the 044.

My absolute favourite is an 6 foot Disston that my mentor filed, set up and gave to me years and years ago.

Any 90cc and above McCulloch or Homelite. That is from the "collector" in me.

For a work saw... hands down a Stihl 044. Out here in the PNW... it canrun from a 20" bar to a 32" bar if needed in softwoods. Pretty versatile saw for almost any need. This excludes the 440, when they got all choked down and restriced.

Gary

I have never heard a bad word said about a Stihl 076, other than they are somewhat heavy and take up room in the bed of your truck, being a wide saw. A step down from the 090 in ccs, but just about any bar that the larger saw will adequately power, so will the 076. They have an uncanny ability to still start with a tank of old gas, even some years since the last use. A fine milling saw as well. No decomp on the earlier models, of which I have two. :\: I have worked two powerheads hard on a mill, and nothing ever needed replacement except the trigger on one. They still run fine with no issues after nearly 30 years. Stihl reliability at it's best.

For an old beast, throwback to the days when sawyers either gave up or when made strong by the work, Jay is right. I ran an 076 just enough to know I'd have died had it been necessary to manage that massive beast day in and day out.

But favorite saw??? Not even close :).

I ran an 076AV when I was 17 and 18 in the woods. When turns were comin' in with big butts, I used that saw with a 42" bar to "trim" them so they would stack on the trucks better.

That saw kicked my ass everyday I used it. I thnk the "AV" stood for "Always Vibrating". ;)

Gary

In stock form, the 660 is more deeply emasculated than the 460. And for most work, the 460 is a better match.

Power to weight. It's easier to pack a 046 that has the weight of an 044 with more power. The 066 is heavier and also drinks more fuel. The 046 was designed with pro timber fallers in mind.

Gary

Don't cross the kids up now, Gary...you know an 046 is no more the equivalent of a 460 than a 066 is of a 660 :). Though as I say, the drop off in performance seems less obvious with the former than the latter.

660 is just BIG. I'm a little guy, just can't tug around a 660 much. I've got three 460's, for 4 years that was my big saw. I've done some big trees with it. It just WORKS.

Don't cross the kids up now, Gary...you know an 046 is no more the equivalent of a 460 than a 066 is of a 660 :). Though as I say, the drop off in performance seems less obvious with the former than the latter.

HAHA! I hear ya Burnham. I've never owned a Stihl saw with the new number designations. But I've ran many... and there is a differece in performance from th "0" series saws to the newer ones.

Gary

Back