Your favorite saw.

Chainsaw conundrum:
Tomorrow I have to cut up a larger (44” dbh by about 85 ft) fallen silver maple. It was a yard tree do quite s full crown.
I sold my biggest saws (arthritis, etc) except for a 3120XP I need to rebuild.
My ‘ground’ saw is an OG 372XP.

Issue: I have one spare, original 372XP in stock - has never seen gas or oil. One of my former groundsmen will be helping eoth yhis job. Should I put it in service to halve the time the job will take? Or, keep it as new and auction it off for top dollar?

He can stay busy moving the cut sections, and it really shouldn’t take that much time to make firewood lengths out of one tree.

I'd sell the saw if it has real collector value(I don't know what Huskies go for). If you really want another 70cc saw, stop at an echo dealer, and get the 7310. ~$1.1k. If you can get a lot more than that for the Husky, you'll get the job done faster. and still make money on the saw.

Since I'm a recreational climber and not a production climber, my favorite saw is my Silky Zubat 330mm hand saw (see image). I use this to remove any deadwood I might find on any tree that I climb and I use it to clear my path and climbing system(s) of hazards.

The Silky website says this about the Zubat 330mm: "The Zubat is the saw that took the world of arboriculture by storm. Professional, heavy duty, 13" (330 mm)curved blade saw. Ideal for all pruning tasks. High performance fast cutting curved blade with a comfortable molded-rubber handle. Curved blade means greater cutting speed with less effort. Includes scabbard. Updated Zubat design makes the handle easier and safer to use and locks the saw in the scabbard."

I will typically keep this saw's scabbard on my right lower leg due to its length and it is an amazing saw which cuts through even 6" diameter deadwood with ease. It boasts 7.5 teeth per 30 mm (6.4 teeth per inch) and is 18.5 inches in length.

Silky Zubat.jpg

No side tensioner is a huge bummer for me, as well as the outboard clutch.
I keep a standard flathead screwdriver for my 395 as it’s easier for the front mounted tensioner. Heck, I use a socket with 3” extension for bar nuts too. If I was deep in woods, a scrench would be the tool of choice.

Chainsaw conundrum:
Tomorrow I have to cut up a larger (44” dbh by about 85 ft) fallen silver maple. It was a yard tree do quite s full crown.
I sold my biggest saws (arthritis, etc) except for a 3120XP I need to rebuild.
My ‘ground’ saw is an OG 372XP.

Issue: I have one spare, original 372XP in stock - has never seen gas or oil. One of my former groundsmen will be helping eoth yhis job. Should I put it in service to halve the time the job will take? Or, keep it as new and auction it off for top dollar?

He can stay busy moving the cut sections, and it really shouldn’t take that much time to make firewood lengths out of one tree.
Do you want to borrow my 395xp?

I just bought a 2511. Needs muffler mod and a bit of tuning. It runs and idles fine. When it has been idling it wants to stall on opening throttle. The shop owner said he would mod the muffler and retune for $40 after it is broken in. Got it a month ago. Just about there. My 200T has an issue I haven't figured out yet. Nice to have a small saw while I figure that one out. Glad I bought it. So small and light yet has some power.

It’s the last of my hoard of brand new 372 OE
I won’t buy an X-Torq

John & Mike, thanks for iffer of bogger saws, but I’ll git-er-done with what I have. Tossed the 36” bar/chain in the truck - it’s silly silver maple after all, not oak, so will cut fast like those PNW soft-woods 🤣

Which one of your kids is your favorite?

Making me pick just one? Fine.

Skill Mag 77. The grey ones, not the red. The red ones go to crap fairly quick, in my experience. I can literally cut circles with it.

Observe my crappy sparing shield...

20240216_052751.jpg

It's not perfect, but it does prove my point.

Chainsaws? 500i. That's not a question.

Back