Your favorite saw.

Dave Shepard

Square peg, round world.
Mine is the 394XP/395XP. I've been running a 390XP at work, and was happy with it until I used my 395XP yesterday. There are a lot of great saws out there, but the 394/395 ticks all the boxes for me.

I have a list of Husky Models that I've owned , loved running , and (wait for it) were discontinued by manufacturer ... still use three climb saws and one of the mid size that have parts available

Mine is the 394XP/395XP. I've been running a 390XP at work, and was happy with it until I used my 395XP yesterday. There are a lot of great saws out there, but the 394/395 ticks all the boxes for me.
No side tensioner is a huge bummer for me, as well as the outboard clutch.

I don't know if a really have a favorite but I have a lot of them .Worth mentioning the Stihl 038 magnum that came from Rocky in Florida ,that I modified ranks right up there .It needs a little attention after about a dozen years on the Bing model 48 carb but that's trivial .

MS 500i.
Been running saws for 45 years, that one is simply the best ever.

My female apprentice had been running a 462 and loved it.
It had to go in for repair, so I let her have a brand, spanking new 500i.

When her saw was fixed and I asked her to hand the 500i over, she suddenly grew fangs and claws and did a complete: " When you pry it out of my cold, dead fingers" on me.

So the 462 has been reduced to " reserve saw" duty.

In my humble opinion, nothing beats the 500i!!!

Another vote for the 500i. Mine are ported, in general I run 201 and 500i. That’s all I need.

all that run
S 500i is a beast, our biggest saw with 90cm bar, normally 63cm bar
S 261 to climb in big tree dismantles 50cm bar
S 150 modified favorite climbing saw
S 161 used a lot because of early work hours in residential areas
H 535 used a lot because of early work hours in residential areas
S mc 200 not ms 200 for all ground cutting ( this is a saw designed for cork harvest)
also we own
S 194
S 300
S 441

Old timer.😄😄 When I run one of them these days I notice how bad the antiviration is compared to a more modern saw. They definitely could run a long time without a lot of drama.
Both very accurate observations, Austin. Well really, three if we count the old timer comment :D.

Last edited:
I dunno if it’s my favorite but my saw that impresses me the most is my 346xp ported by @huskihl. It’s a light saber with 20” stihl 23rsp (narrow kerf .325”) and an 8 pin rim. Even in dry hard oak. It will pull 24” if asked, though I don’t bury the 24” like I would on a 70cc. The power in such a light package is real nice. I also like my Jonsered 2166 (372xp) by him. I like my 2188 (390xp) ported by stump shot, but I think I will sell it when I get my 288 back together. I like the 90cc saws over my 395…just enough lighter to make a difference.

I'm on my 2nd 562xpw. This one ported. Seems to be my go to when I open the toolbox. Although the 020t is such a battle axe...

36" is too much for my 661. It it weren't primarily for milling, I'd get a light bar for it.

Back