All time favorite saw

HAHA! I hear ya Burnham. I've never owned a Stihl saw with the new number designations. But I've ran many... and there is a differece in performance from th "0" series saws to the newer ones.

Gary
I know a place in Woolley that takes care of that issue.

Al, do you have any old Homelites hanging around? There are quite a few of those on the shelf as well. Were they the favorite saw for a lot of folks back in the day?
I've got 4 ,two old gear drives ,an itty bitty double trigger xl and the 2100S which is in my avatar .That big old saw has some grunt to it .

Actually back in the day it was kind of a toss up between Homelite and McCulloch in these parts as far as popularity .They were the front runners though .

Not my all time favorite, but the 076 was the first saw I ever owned, cut my teeth on it, even remember the first tree I used it on....therefore adding some nostalgia. It never occurred to me that vibration was a problem, and still not that way these days when I sometimes use it. It seems to me that the anti-vibration is pretty adequate, has that big rubber mount down below the handle, and solidly built, definitely no rattle trap. Also has a manual oiler in addition to the auto. :P You sure you're not confusing it with the somewhat earlier 075? You guys are pretty tough, so I'm not going to tell you about the first girl that I ever kissed, 'cept her name was Linda....and she was some years older than me. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm not talkin about the new one. I'm talking about the turd they've been making since the early 2000s. I know Stig likes them, which always makes me feel a little guilty about bashing them. Yet for some reason, I use mine a lot.

I really enjoyed my old 266XP. It was temperamental at times, but the power to weight was great and it was a very well-balanced saw.
It loved running in the coldest part of the winter. I'd replaced it with a 268Xp and sold it to two fellows in New Jersey - regretted selling that 266.
I liked having the old-style tubing brake handle, as I could clip right to it to hang it from my saddle.

It might take two guys to carry it up to the third floor, but in terms of workmanship, the 090G is a fine example of dedicated saw making. Museum quality, I think.

At my old job the 372XP was the bomb. Great saw for the kind of trees we have here. Another vote also for the rear handle 200. This is an overlooked saw for a lot of useful stuff.

But, I'm hoping my favourite saw is gonna be the one I just bought for myself. Don't laugh.

Me and my new toy by altacal, on Flickr

Anyone want to hazard a guess which one?

The 362 is an excellent choice Nora. A while back I almost bought one to back up my 346 and 372 Huskies,would have fit between them real nice , but instead happened upon a brand new 272XP.

IMG_0312.jpg I'd say my 441, bought it last summer and have had no problems (usually outfitted with the 30" bar). Nora you will love the 362, the only thing I didnt like was the dogs are a little wimpy so I put a full wrap on it with 441 dogs.
Ben

Of the saws I have and regularly use (other than the 200t) my favourite has been my little 021. It was the first saw I ever bought, its over 12 yrs now and still going strong. It's light, manouverable and take a beating and keeps on going. It gets used for brush bashing, small tree felling and clearup. Its easier to use than the 260 for an all day thrash of ground bashing up to 10-12" stuff.

Hey Nora, I have a 361 (20") and like it a lot...probably second to the 021

On the block for sale will be the 290 and probably an 026...

The 362 is an excellent choice Nora. A while back I almost bought one to back up my 346 and 372 Huskies,would have fit between them real nice , but instead happened upon a brand new 272XP.

Odd! I've not been reading or hearing much love for the 362, most seem to think the 361 was a much better saw?

I concur on the 362, well, from what I read anyhow...like on AS where there's lots of this kind of talk. In it's class, it appears the 562 is far superior. Though some users report issues with it---related to the new fangled computerized carb, or someething, it does appear to be the first strato saw to be lighter and faster than the saws it has replaced. I have an ehp ported 357 that needs to be put back together, and several saws in the 5 cube class, so have no plans to get a 562 as yet.

My fav saws of the last 10 years are my ported 346's, one by Ed Heard, and one by Jasha Reynolds, the 50 cc NE version. It simply kicks ass! And, though all the ported 372's I've had have been awesome saws, the Dolmar 7900, in stock form, is the best in its class. It walks all over a 460, 440, 044, or 372 if all are stock. Ported, the 372 takes the lead. The Dolmars, though, have some issues, such as anti-vib mount breakage, oil seepage issues, (correctable), bad design starter parts, (also correctable), smallish filter.....no worries, just clean it---( I don't want to go the high rise filter setup--ungainly looking as has some problems, I hear. And the full wrap handlebars are way too pricey.....

Planning to have my 75cc 372 XPG woods ported by one of the new AS builders, maybe Mastermind. Then, from what I hear, it will become my new fav. As it is, with just a dual port muffler, it is a bit underwhelming.

I have a 460, not so much really mine, but a guy left it with me to use and keep. Funny deal, he says I take better care of his saws than he wants to, the 460 and an 038 magnum, so he leaves them with me to use. He might come and get one for a week or two, then will bring it back dirty. I don't mind, an older guy I first worked with, and I like having the saws. The 046 seems like it could use being modded. It cuts good with a 32" bar, but not so much real jump to it I find. Still a fairly new saw as well.

Back