YO Motorheads!!

No_Bivy

Treehouser
so....I have a 2001 f350, which blew a starter on thursday....no biggie right?

towed in...starter replaced. Runs like shit. I change the in line filter for fuel.....as we know from other threads....runs a little better.

get it dumped and drive back to the mech. They run a code that injector 8 is bad..replaced it. Still a code on that cyl. Mech tells me there is a dent in the oil pan and that something has come loose internally....damage report tommorrow.

Doesnt sound good to me....threw a rod? What say thee oh great moto heads?[-o<

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I will mention that....thanks Brendon

Well, odd things do happen. Maybe the piston was locked causing the starter to go, it burnt up trying to crank a seized motor, then the new starter, and a jump, was enough to turn it over which bent the rod when it freed it up. You ran it enough that it threw the rod which you didn't hear:? and the code for the injector was would be right if it got taken out with the explosion of the piston?
I don't know, I do know those motors have electrical problems on the injectors with the harnesses that run under the valve covers.

the dent in the pan aint sounding good--unless you hit something with it, and you do just have a bad injector(crosses fingers)

Well, odd things do happen. Maybe the piston was locked causing the starter to go, it burnt up trying to crank a seized motor, then the new starter, and a jump, was enough to turn it over which bent the rod when it freed it up. You ran it enough that it threw the rod which you didn't hear:? and the code for the injector was would be right if it got taken out with the explosion of the piston?
I don't know, I do know those motors have electrical problems on the injectors with the harnesses that run under the valve covers.

but the harness wouldnt cause a piston to seize--

replaced wiring harness in december last year....stills runs with no weird noise:?

The bendix was bent to the side of the starter....wierd,.... I guess a abrupt stop?

REAL abrupt!!! dang..... i want to know--hows he know something came loose internally??--esp since no strange noises--

The injector shouldn't have caused it to seize, unless it was stuck open flooding the cylinder and it hydro-locked. With the bendix being bent, this hypothesis is sounding likely now. Remeber, there is little room inside the combustion chamber of these things, it wouldn't take much to lock it up.

There are six and a half dozen things that could be wrong. Andy's hydrolocked theory reminded me of a bud that had an 02 F-250 PSD... Cavitation wore a hole in the cylinder wall fromn the water jacket, letting coolant in the cylinder... hydrolocked and bent the con rod.

Cavitation in diesels is caused by the engine vibrations making the coolant foam up in the block. The foam tends to gravitate towards certain areas in the block. When the bubbles in the foam pop near the cast iron, they take a minute particle of metal with it... which over a long long period of time (years and years) it can make a tiny hole in cylinder walls.

Ford, MOPAR, and GM make anti-foaming additives for the coolant system. It needs to be added about every 15,000 miles or so. A lot of people don't know about it. Napa and other auto parts stores carry it to under their own brand.

Not sayin' that's what went wrong John... but crazier shit has happened.

Gary

Gary,

With all the diesels people on the site own, you bring up an often unknown, but very important point. I was schooled by a John Deere service manager/mechanic about cavitation after I had a liner about eaten through. I try to pass the word on, but most people think ehhh. Couple things he taught me- Make sure to change AF on schedule-rust particles make cavitation bubbles sand blast. Don't use automotive AF as the silicates are abrasive particles also.

Gary,

With all the diesels people on the site own, you bring up an often unknown, but very important point. I was schooled by a John Deere service manager/mechanic about cavitation after I had a liner about eaten through. I try to pass the word on, but most people think ehhh. Couple things he taught me- Make sure to change AF on schedule-rust particles make cavitation bubbles sand blast. Don't use automotive AF as the silicates are abrasive particles also.

That last point you made is priceless info... Coolant for diesels is different than coolant for your regular gas cars and trucks... Also runnin' a coolant filter in a diesel ain't a bad idear. :)

Gary

That Ford engine in question gets its' signal to fire the injecter from a notched plate on one end of the crankshft or another .That plate will only fit on the shaft one way because of the bolt spacing and it cannot come loose .

Technically that signal is called a PIP -piston in position .

The analizer works basically the way our "cold test " stands at work do .At the precise time a praticular injecter should fire the analizer should see a slight amperage draw via the computer .If not it could be a bad harness or injecter or the connecter .

I suppose it could be possible to somehow have the injecter fire signal get short circuited and be on all the time which would hydra lock that cylinder but it's highly unlikely .

Another thing .To check a harness and associated connecters etc they make a little neon or light emitting diode glow tester .They just plug it in and watch for the glow when the engine is cranked over taking the guess work out of it . Somewhere in one of my 15 or so tool boxes at work I have several .

Still no word...but I did go by to see the dent in the pan. It is from the inside out on the upper right side(opp the filter). They are trying to pull the pan to see what came loose but it requires practically pulling the engine......this aint gonna be good.

Are reman. engines any good...worth fixing this POS?

From what I know you have to completely pull the engine, or take the cab off to do an oil pan. It's a common thing for them to rust and I've known people who done both to tackle it.

A short block from Ford is about $3400.

Good luck,

You can probably find a similar truck around 10k nowadays. Might be more cost effective find a cab and chassis and swapping.

they are in the midst of pulling it as we speak....from a diagram I saw Im guess rod from cyl no 8 shot out into the pan....is there hope or is it focked

I don't want to speculate what it is .I have however seen the aftermath of a hydra locked engine and it isn't pretty .It can blow the face right off a piston and bend the dickens out of a rod depending on how full the cylinder could have been with fuel .I once saw a John -Deere 720 that blow the block right in two pieces from pulling it with a cylinder full of fuel and popping the clutch .

At work when they hot tested engines I was the electrician taking care of the 40 test stands .If an engine hydra locked which was very rare ,the entire engine was scrapped,every single piece of it rather that let a possible problem get out to the public .They took no chances of that happening .

Crate engines are usually okay from what people tell me .Maybe with luck it won't be that damaged .

IF, and I stress IF it was indeed hydrolocked, I don't think it would be worth rebuilding, and a short block won't do you much good either. There would be significant head damage as well.
I want to say it was around $6500 for a ready to run motor from Ford.
BUT, these tucks are a plenty and seem to get wrecked regularly. Chec local salvage yards for a low mile used engine, etc.
But I say hold off on anything until you get a true diagnosis.

Jasper worth a shat?

If I get bad news, Im not sure what I'll do next. I am about sick of ford truthfully......Id rather have another DT466

Jasper is very good, but I think I would hedge my bet with a used in your position. If nothing else, get it runing and sell it to finance what you want.

Back