Ya'll be careful! (no gore)

vharrison

Island Girl
Patrick, one of our climbers from Haiti got bit last Friday. He nicked a tendon on top of his left hand and is going in for surgery tomorrow. The saw kicked back on him, hit his hard hat then his hand. He told John "you are right about wearing a hard hat, it saved my face". Ugh, yeah, wear all the ppe you can Thankfully the doc thinks he will have full movement in his finger, but he will be out 5-6 weeks.

now is when the comp pays off.....glad it wasnt a face wound. We're tough enough for pictures ya know.

ALL the best for your climber V...so glad his PPE saved him from worse!

Curious, was he one-handing, or just the force of the kickback made him let go? Also did his hard hat have a face visor?
I've been wearing a hat with no visor, just glasses lately, feels kind of vulnerable...

sounds pretty hard to do with 2 hands...could have been avoided

Cutting with two hands always is a joke imo. Tophandled saws were made to be used one handed.

Sorry your climber got cut V.

Yeah...and I'd love to see someone bypass cut their way up a spruce...LoL

Bad news V, hopefully that tendon heals up. When I started the lead climber I worked with nicked a tendon with a handsaw. It got progressively more painful for him even after surgery and he had to find a new trade...hopefully this doesn't happen :(

I thank that big invisible sky genie wizard dude for looking out for me when I cut my wrist last year. I exposed a tendon but didn't cut it, no idea how I lucked out on that.

Cutting with two hands always is a joke imo. Tophandled saws were made to be used one handed.

In that case, I wonder why that front handle is there. A joke? I must be hilarious. All day long, two hands. Saw is designed for two hands, you are putting yourself at risk if you do otherwise. Have you ever heard of someone getting hurt one-handing? Oh whoops.

tree-65.jpg

No argument, no blame...one or two handed...each has its application when necessary, and I one hand with the best of you when I need to.
But I am interested to learn of the dynamics of the incident...knowing helps reinforce safe working practices.
I am very curious to know if Patrick had a face visor, did the saw hit a visor or the peak of his hard hat?...having just started to work without one from time to time...it definitely feels more exposed.

My hubby avoided major injury when using a 7" grinder years ago, he was wearing goggles and a respirator while grinding fibreglass, the edge of the disc got stuck under the rub rail (boat) and kicked back into his face and across his neck. Without the PPE he could have well been dead or severely torn up.
Two things to take away, placement of his body in a danger zone...but PPE saved his face and life.

So, looking to learn from Patrick's unfortunate mishap...best wishes to him V!

I still see guys around here who don't even wear a helmet. One of them is a friend who got me started with a bowline and a taunt line a few years back. He actually would laugh when I put on my yellow Petzl.:crazy:

No lecture here, no sympathy, either. I make mistakes in my daily routine, but also I minimize the chances of risk by employing safe work practices. I also make sure my crew does the same.

Okay, so we want to learn from this situation? Hmmm...maybe we should stop one-handing - the power of suggestion is huge - you do it, you teach new climbers to do it - you are part of the problem, not the solution.

Making lots of friends here, I bet!

A sharp chainsaw chain at full speed really doesn't care what is in front of it. A huge part of chainsaw safety is always visualizing the range of possible motion of the chain and keeping your tender body parts out of that zone. I'd rather one hand with my body out of the danger zone than two hand with the chain directly in line with my face or body. Safety is a state of mind, not blindly following rules without any awareness of exactly what the dangers are.

Back