Wood Turning

I belong to OTI (Ornamental Turner’s Intern.) and SOT (Society of Ornamental Turners)- both groups are all about rose engine lathes. Most RELs are somewhat limited on the size of projects that one can produce on them and quite expensive to build or buy.

My male apprentice is getting married next week.
Has no money, so they have agreed on no rings.
Then he got inspired by the wooden rings, I made when I married the mail order bride.

He is slowly, under my tutelage, turning into a wood turner.
So I did a ring turning seminar for him, and he turned two rings in yew.

I made the box in Elm burl.

He can't wait to whip them out, when the mayor asks if they have rings, and his girlfriend says, no.

Romance isn't quite dead, yet!

He was just so friggin' happy when he drove off with the rings and box, really touched my heart. -3638692115012865698.jpg -4120534810764114092.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, I know the ring box is thick walled as Hell.

Had a split almost to the top.
Only way to save it was t make it a fat one.

I don't see thick as being a problem. Gives it a substantial heft. Good match for something like wedding rings.

Bought a house with a mortgage, then had a birth go so wrong, he almost lost both the mother and child.
Girlfriend had to quit her job for 3 years to take care of the kid ( Who is thankfully coming along OK and is a great friend of Thais dog)
Meanwhile Emil is on an apprentice wage.

Not good!

I pass all the small moonlighting jobs to him, to help him along.

So no, the boss is not a scrooge.

Bah, humbug!

Well, on Facebook marketplace this came up.for sale, much less than scrap value. 32" swing, 11-12' work piece length. Only problem is it's bloody heavy, had to tear it apart down to the bed, which alone weighed 1.ton. My chainfall has a 1ton limit. Has everything I'm trying to fabricate. I've been trying to be nice to people and I got.a friend to help me get it!

20231019_105945.jpg 20231019_105934.jpg 20231019_145049.jpg

Piece of redwood from a sink cutout in a new counter at the nonprofit outside San Francisco where my son works. Brought it back from a visit there recently.
Cut the blank yesterday morning, turned it, carnauba waxed it to keep it close to natural color, boxed, and mailed it back that afternoon. IMG_7685.jpeg

IMG_7692.jpeg

IMG_7698.jpeg

Back