Wood Turning

Haha 68th moon of Jupiter :lol: bet you hooked some 'Matrix' moves when it let go

Yeah... that is so awsome, sir. Why do I ever leave the Treehouse. Those joints are just too beautiful.

Ed,
Urn made from Michigan oak! Love those dovetail joints - shows some real craftsmanship!
Something we have in common. I made a double urn for my parents when they died back in 2014. The wood was from a white oak and a black oak I had taken down and milled from their property in Michigan.

I really like that. If it's thin enough, I bet it would look cool turned upside down with a light inside.

It is too thick for that, but it is no problem to turn one thin enough.

my gf just started her first woodworking class . she's an accomplished artist in ceramics and encaustic. she is just starting out on the lathe.

so far I got a couple chunks of yew for her and could bring her home some black walnut from today's job.

you have shown some fantastic work on this thread. hoping you can help me out with suggestions, advice and tips for harvesting wood for her. I can store to dry in the garage.

i will see about getting her the book that stig recommends.

thanks in advance

this is a piece she made a few years ago
it stands about 4 feet tall Screenshot_20210318-003321_Gallery.jpg

I cut a side off a buttress on a large maple log in winter.
It had a LOT of ripple.
I was going to give it to a woodturning buddy, but the apprentice was so awed by it, that I ended up making him a bowl from it instead.
Just another run of the mill salad bowl, but a nice piece of wood.

P1080047.JPG P1080051.JPG P1080052.JPG

I have a cherry burl (as in totally round from middle of limb) that is 25-30 cm in diameter. I do no turn and don't wanna learn. Is that too small to turn a bowl out of?

I snagged the piece of wood out of Germany and have stored it in a dry barn in west Texas for 14 yrs. I'd like to have something out of it.

You could probably get a fine 20 cm bowl out of it, if it hasn't cracked too badly during drying.
Find a local turner and commission her/him to do it.

When we were logging the last dinosaur ash trees in a castle forest on island Møn in 2018, there was a burl on one tree.
800 pds ( The guy who got it had it weighed).
We had a climber go up and cut it off or it would have been buried when the tree fell.

I gave it all to a woodturning buddy.
Meanwhile, I made a large bowl out of another piece of ash from the castle and gave it to the owners.
Large as in " you need a castle to have room enough for it".
Never got around to take pictures of it, but it was a rather nice bowl.

So the daughter of the owners, who is a lovely girl, totally fell in love with it.
Since I like her a lot, I asked my buddy for a rough turned bowl from that burl and finished it for her.
Nothing really special, but a better size for someone who lives in an apartment.

Made with the rolled over edge, that is one of my trademarks.

P1080175.JPG P1080179.JPG P1080181.JPG

Back