What's Your Favorite Saw You Own?

They are fun and my twin and me had an ongoing disagreement for some years. Its resolved now.

Not many saws with two in line cylinders were made. Even less series produced.
There was more models in two man saws in various brands.
Boxer engines like Echo had there was more.

I can't remember if mine is 100 or 110cc I think its 100cc.

You guys that have a 550xp mk2 with a 20” bar and 3/8 chain, what’s the drive link count? Thanks in advance.

I like my 550mkII. Dyno testing has shown it to be impressively strong for 50cc, with around. 5hp gain with a muffler mod, then porting is hardly worth the effort. I run a 24" 3/8 on mine. I plan to use full skip on it when I use up the original chain. I wouldn't say the power is impressive running 24" as it is a lot for 50cc, but the long reach and light weight is excellent.

My favorite is this 1986 266xp ported
By Steve haling/stumpshot saws 20190903_165632.jpg
220# comp
Wears a 24" in hardwood it's all I need.
after working on the newer generations of saws since the 80s except for the autotronic saws I have no interest at all in them.
I went back to the 2 series.

MS461 without the computerized BS.

Pricey but dependable with backup spark plugs.

Great for cuttin moderate rounds to sixteen inch!

Not happy with my new 201 though.......

Jomo

I only got 3 M-tronic saws, but they got some hours on them and they’re treating me very well. I like them very much.
MS-201TC, MS-241C, and MS-441C.
That MS-241C is really a hoot to run. Really fun.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
My two mtronics(362 & 661) do well for me too. Zero issues. My favorite saw is still my 2511 though.

MS461 without the computerized BS.

Pricey but dependable with backup spark plugs.

Great for cuttin moderate rounds to sixteen inch!

Not happy with my new 201 though.......

Jomo
What’s the issue with the 201? I thought they had the bugs worked out? I’ve run Carl’s a few times and liked it. Don’t know that I’ll ever need one unless all my 200s die young.

Apparently it's yet another design flaw. This time on the flywheel side.

My local Stihl dealership informed that a barrier kit to prevent debris buildup behind the flywheel will soon be available.

The issue is the engine overheating due to becoming coated with sclurge.

Jomo

I don't like how the 201t I use often fights back when starting as if excess oil collects in the cylinder, or the ignition timing sometimes advances when pull starting. Whatever it is, I've never had so much trouble trying to pull start a saw unless it is 60cc+ with extra compression machined into it, and no decomp button. I can hardly get 2-3 compression strokes throwing the saw down as I yank up on the rope. Otherwise it runs normal.

I had a Husky 55 give to me that acted the same way. The guy said it was hard to start after he changed the clutch sprocket. I asked him how he got the clutch off and he said like he always did, put a box end wrench on the clutch and “smack” it with a hammer. Lmao. Knew right then what he had done. Sheared the key in the flywheel and the key isn’t a replaceable key, it’s molded into the flywheel. $160 for a new flywheel from the dealer and it started just fine after that.

Last edited:
I had a Husky 55 give to me that acted the same way. The guy said it was hard to start after he changed the clutch sprocket. I asked him how he got the clutch off and he said like he always did, put a box end wrench on the clutch and “smack” it with a hammer. Lmao. Knew right then what he had done. Sheared the key in the flywheel and the key isn’t a replaceable key, it’s molded into the flywheel. $160 for a new flywheel from the dealer and it started just fine after that.
I rebuilt a 036 for a guy
And ran a tank of mix through it and tuned it
In wood with him present.
He brings it back a day later
And says won't start
And sure enough it wouldn't start.
So I go to pull the plug wire to check for spark.
And notice a very old champion plug
And asked where the new denso plug was
I put in?
I'm saving it he says.
I replaced that dead champion and charged
Him 25.00 for wasting my time.

Stihl's got s serious design flaw issue that's ongoing.....

Surprisingly to me,it doesn't seem to matter whether it'an air intake issue on the flywheel side, or ah exhaust expulsion issue causing muffler fragmentation...

Most striking to me are there are older versions of each saw that did not sufferfrom these ailments.

Today's example of this issue was my new MS 461 blowing a huge hole through the front of the muffler, resulting in it sounding like a vintage Sach's 125 dirtbike circa 1969!

It's only the front foremost part of the muffler that fractured, directly due to coming into contact with the log once the dawgs are dug in.

However going through my chainsaw boneyard, I ran across multiple stihl models that had bumper plates integral to their muffler design.

Way to give Husky the edge yu dopes.......

Jomo

I’ve only used Frankie’s ported 395XP, it was amazing. I hear it’s a beast just stock too, I should seek one out. Right now my biggest saw is the MS-650, it’s nice but nothing to write home about.

I have been impressed with my 395xp stock, it would scream with an 8t rim and 32" full skip square grind. I lowered the depth gauges some, then again some more, and it would still scream through hardwood. I can't remember if I've run a 42" on it, but it seemed harder to load than a 390xp or ms660. I'm in the process of porting it, so hopefully it will do near 10hp when I'm done. It rarely get's used, so it will probably only ever wear a 42" bar and be used in as big of wood.

Not trying to have a contest, just bragging on the saw. The most abuse my 395 took was a 54” bar with skip tooth full chisel milling dry red oak. It maxed out the 48” mill. It did about (12) 10’ slabs. Those saws are no joke. Still want to see what a 3120xp will do though😁

Back