What kind of spurs is he using in this vid?

Benjo75

Treehouser
This vid popped up in my recommended videos. I'm going to have to watch this a few more times to figure out exactly what he's doing. At about 6:15 in he takes his spurs off and lays them down. I've not seen any like this before. Are they toe spurs for speed climbing?

That looks like spikes Butch linked awhile ago. Weird claw things that looked like ankle busters.

edit:
those are different than the ones Butch linked.

edit2:
Here's the ones Butch found...

Same idea, but worse. Both look like they'd be tough on your ankles.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

I don't know if it's the music or what but I can't stop watching his videos. He's like a Japanese Richard Mumford.

Buck teeth and bow-legged? Looks like an excessive knee rotation out to me which would put a lot of strain on joints. Apparently the long outer claw is supposed to also contact the tree under the foot but that means you have got to really turn those knees out to do it from what it looks like. I don't think that's an improvement over our standard spikes we use here.

Sorry, but that was painful to watch..... way too much wasteful movement and lack of how to with the kit.
Just my .02
Not to mention, the captain hook grapnel hook is really not a good life support practice.

Back