What do dull cutters feel like compared to sharp cutters?

He was a good guy, just didn't want to hear that there wasn't a shortcut. But then again i was the same way, but I knew enough that we have 2 ears and 1 mouth for a reason:lol:

He offered to donate money to Butch if I would read some christian shit, he put up.
I, of course, offered to donate twice that, if I didn't have to read it.

Yep.

Good guy.

What do dull cutters feel like compared to sharp cutters? Exactly like anything else that can be sharpened. What does a dull knife feel like compared to a sharp knife? What does a dull lawnmower blade feel like compared to a sharp lawnmower blade? What does a dull shovel feel like compared to a sharp shovel? One is dull and the other is sharp.

Just exactly what are you trying to figure out with this question? I'm confused by the thought process of anybody who could even ask this. I'm not sure what you want for an answer. It's almost as if you wanted to ask a more detailed question but asked an obvious question instead.

Last edited:
I think Burnham is confusing you with another guy In fairness.

The other guy asked us how to fell a tree from pictures, then put one through an electricity supply box.

Either way, it strikes me as a silly question, does it cut wood? Then it’s sharp, there’s no way of really being sure if a chain will cut well until you put it in the wood.

My mistake, sorry to have done so. Your original question sounded exactly like what might have come from the other Robert. Nonetheless, I offer my apologies.

I think we might have scared him away...come baaaack come baaaack, call yourself Bob, you'll be fine :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yep, his IP shows as Florida, not Mississippi @Burnham.
Ah, okay. Lol, looking at what unfolded previously I'm definitely not going to be trying to preach to anyone and I definitely wouldn't hire out to do tree work. Not licensed/insured etc., not nearly experienced enough. I've studied it enough to be aware of the kinds of things that can go wrong. I'm the guy on Facebook urging people not to hire someone's cousin just because they have a chainsaw.

My brother wanted me to do some work on a tree in his yard but when I saw that it had big branches over his neighbor's garage and that's what he wanted removed I said no way, you need to hire a pro. I would have done some simple limbing and clearing but wasn't going to touch that potential disaster. He wouldn't listen, he eventually got some buddies to do it and I guess they got away with it with no catastrophe but it wasn't going to be me dropping a log through his neighbor's roof and onto their car. I guess time will tell because they used climbing spikes which my understanding is you shouldn't do on a tree you want to keep.

What do dull cutters feel like compared to sharp cutters? Exactly like anything else that can be sharpened. What does a dull knife feel like compared to a sharp knife? What does a dull lawnmower blade feel like compared to a sharp lawnmower blade? What does a dull shovel feel like compared to a sharp shovel? One is dull and the other is sharp.
There are different kinds of "sharp". It's been my understanding for example that it isn't desirable to have too fine an edge on a lawnmower blade or an ax because the purpose they're put to is different than if you want to shave a beard.

Just exactly what are you trying to figure out with this question?
If there's some nuance related to chainsaw chain sharpening that might not be immediately obvious.

I'm confused by the thought process of anybody who could even ask this. I'm not sure what you want for an answer.
Sorry to cause you such serious cognitive dissonance. What kind of answer I'm looking for - insightful, informational, civil. Ideally one that doesn't introduce pointless noise. Others who weren't confused by my question have managed to give answers along the lines of what I was looking for.

Last edited:
I don't /think/ you can 'oversharpen' with a file aside from removing more tooth than is strictly necessary. Probably the biggest thing is to get the geometry right.

He offered to donate money to Butch if I would read some christian shit, he put up.
I, of course, offered to donate twice that, if I didn't have to read it.

Yep.

Good guy.
Shitty reasoning to donate to Butch, but to each their own I guess

Just exactly what are you trying to figure out with this question? I'm confused by the thought process of anybody who could even ask this. I'm not sure what you want for an answer. It's almost as if you wanted to ask a more detailed question but asked an obvious question instead.
Sometimes a question is exactly that, a question. Deserves an honest answer in my opinion.

Good answer there, Robert. If you weather this firecracker thread you will have earned your wings for sure.

Good logic on your friend's treework. You asked a good question about sharpening. Some good discussion that I have already learned some things from.

I have asked a lot of (probably seemed dumb) questions here before...sometimes posted something sketchy that I didn't realize was sketchy. Until some folks chimed in here at the House and educated me. Ask on...it's good for all of us.

Robert, an axe used for felling should be sharp enough to shave hair off an arm.

Years and years ago my old mentor, who grew up before chainsaws were invented, took me and a bunch of my apprentices out in the woods and had us all working on felling a 120 year old Beech with axe and long saw.

He started the day by asking the apprentices if they knew how to sharpen an axe and shaving his arm to demonstrate the sharpness.

As for your original question, I have no idea.
Been a pro faller for 40+ years, when it doesn't cut at at least 95%, I'll sharpen it, but I don't look at it to determine if it is sharp or not.

Robert, an axe used for felling should be sharp enough to shave hair off an arm.

Years and years ago my old mentor, who grew up before chainsaws were invented, took me and a bunch of my apprentices out in the woods and had us all working on felling a 120 year old Beech with axe and long saw.

He started the day by asking the apprentices if they knew how to sharpen an axe and shaving his arm to demonstrate the sharpness.
I of course reserve the right to be incorrect. Would you say the shape of the edge makes a difference? I seem to recall the rationale behind not wanting a blade razor sharp is that the edge breaks off.

Yep.
You can still get a razor edge on a not so thin edge.
I wouldn't want to shave with it, but for cutting hair on an arm, it suffices.

How would you describe what a sharp vs. dull chain feels like to the touch? Does the edge of the cutter feel obviously different if you run your finger over/against it? Is there some test you use or do you go strictly by saw performance?

A lot of good answers have been given. And the first thing that came to mind for me was that when I run my finger over a tooth because I forgot if I filed the saw after last challenging session, if my finger or thumb drags I sharpened it. If my skin slips over the edge with little drag it's still dull. (Dragging finger over length of tooth, in line with the bar. Sideways would produce a cut.) When I use my eyes, seeing no glint of reflection. When running, performance.

Early in the piece I was taught to knock the 'burrs' off after sharpening the chain, ostensibly to prevent the chrome peeling back as the burrs came off in the first cut after sharpening...we would use the wooden file handle and tap it on the top plate to knock them off. Later on another course the title asked me what I was doing and when I told him he said the burrs would fall off the first cut you made and everything would be ok....
I still tap my chain after sharpening

Back