What Did Ya'll Have For Dinner Tonight?

Hol e mackerel. We had a feast tonight.

Ham, cheesey potatoes, rolls, angelfood cake, green beans, layer salad, and strong black coffee. Several whiskey ditches. I am in severe pain, but we had a great Easter dinner, fun with the kids and folks.

Round steak cooled in cream of mushroom soup with jalapeno slices. Figured I'd support the farmers tonight. Easter around here is kinda bland, father in law makes dinner and usually has us working it off before we leave, this time it was manual labor install on his 800 pound gun safe.

image.jpg image.jpg
Saturday night out without children. I ate good. A pound of beef, a hard cooked egg ,and hot pepper cheese( plus various other things). Max the Knife is what the restaurant calls it. So damn good

Hamburger Helper is some awesome stuff. I love the Mexican one!

Hamburger-Helper_minestrone-casserole.jpg

I'd say a nice Shiraz would be your choice.
That peppery taste should go well with the "meat????"

Get your father in law to bring you a bottle of Australian Shiraz/cabernet, they do a most unusual blend of those two grapes that somehow IMO brings out the best of both.
He can get that in New Zealand.

How anybody could suggest a Sauvignon blanc with red "meat" is beyond me.

Is that pretentious enough for you, Jim?

Before I had reached my allotment of alcohol, I used to be one hell of a wine connoiseur, visiting wineyards all over the planet, keeping tasting notes, doing blind tasing competitions, the works!

If you can score consistently well in blind tastings, you know wine.

Anything else is just being able to talk a nice line of bullshit IMO.

How anybody could suggest a Sauvignon blanc with red "meat" is beyond me.

Seeing as I'm a fresh food type it was supposed to be a joke, as in "That stuff is gross and may cause constipation". Guess you have to drink beer to get it.

New Zealand has some pretty good wine of their own these days, probably got the vines from here somehow.

You are right about the Shiraz and Cabernet though, pretty hard to beat Hunter Valley wine. Just came through there the other day, no time to stop this time though.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/eZv8tPpW0rA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Apart from the steak, that sounds good.
May I suggest a nice southern french Grenache, like a Côte Du Rhône for that.
Actually any well made and well matured Grenache from the southern part of France would do just as well.
The key word here is: "Well matured".
Most wines nowadays are made to be consumed within a few ( Too effing few!) years of their birth date.
Go for one of those wineyards that make a Grenache designed for a longer life and you'll be fine.
However, Chateauneuf Du Pape and Hermitage will be too heavy for your meal, so avoid those.
Chateauneuf Du Pape is not pure Grenache, anyway, but a blend of up to 13 different grapes with Grenache being the dominant note.

Hey, Jimster.
I can keep this bullshit up as long as you care to read it. I think I must have been an effeminate wine waiter in a former life. Not the last one, though, I was a 50 cent whore in the Shanghai harbour district in that. That still makes for some weird dreams once in a while.

Man, I wish you lived on the same continent as I, then I would have fun sending you stuff and you could send me stuff from Montana..
I almost did, when you turned me on to homemade blue cheese dressing.

Want a Danish blue cheese that won the world cheese championship in the blue cheese class twice?

Send me your address in a PM and I'll get on it.

Shit, I'll even go and find a piece of "Le Gruyere" and include that, just so my wife can feel that I've honored her Schweizischer roots, too

( Won the " World's best cheese" prize something like 6 times in a row. It is IMO the BEST there is, and I've had a taste of most of them)

Then I can amuse myself by suggesting what wine to drink with them.

Easy with the Gruyere.
Anything made by the Chasselat grape will go well with that.
No big surprise, as they are both Swiss.
Fendant is IMO the most underrated white wine in the world, for the simple reason that the Swiss drink it all and don't export any.
We had some friends over for dinner, who consider themselves wine connoiseurs ( And aren't by my standard...........would look bad in a blind tasting!)
Served them a not quite top class Fendant.
It was fun to see all their preconceptions about Swiss wine blown away by the magnitude of that wine.
Last time I asked them if they wanted to come for dinner, the guy said: " Got any more Swiss wine?" :)

Anyway, If you want wine bullshit or the real stuff, I'm your man.
I'm slightly better at the real stuff, though:lol:

Shit no Stig. Keep it coming. I love learning about stuff like this.

I must admit, I have never heard of any of those wines, but I really like trying new things. For me it feels like I can make better connections with people if I have some idea of what they like to eat and drink. Especially if the live somewhere else.

I cant believe it when people travel and dont eat what the locals eat. Go to NZ and eat McDonalds? Shit no, eat a mince pie!

I went to a wine tasting once, thinking wine and cheese pairings were bullshit. Not so!

That would be sweet Stig! I would be honored. Never had gruyere before. Blue is a favorite, most of what we get is pretty bland though. Once in a while I can find real Roquefort. No one else likes it so I get to enjoy at my pace. Seems like a lot of Americans like bland cheese.

If you are into it, I could send you some Huckleberry stuff. Montana is known for Huckleberry jams and such. Struggling to think of something else.

I like strong cheese. Especially blue and Gorgonzola. Used to be a wood fired pizza place not far from here that made Gorgonzola garlic bread. That was really tasty.

It doesn't get much better than Shiraz and wood fired pizza. I had some Korean the other night at a small family run restaurant, service was efficient and the food was fresh and tasty.
korean.jpg

I had rice with beef and vegetables in a hot stone dish, it comes with an egg yolk that you stir into the dish with lots of chilli sauce. The restaurant is in a suburb nearby which is divided into a chinese side and a korean side, both sides are loaded with eateries.