What Did Ya'll Have For Dinner Tonight?

I harken back to a certain video star saying dont go to the drive thru cus they F@#$ you. was it joe pesci?

YUPPERS​

Leo Getz in Lethal weapon 2 saying "Never go through the drive-thru, because they know you'll be miles away when you discover you've been ^$#&*^!"

Tonight, one of my favorites! Gateaux Piments with Homestyle Tomato Chutni

1319402137_86640c9dfb_o.jpg

" Gateaux-Piments"

Mauritian-style Dal Rissoles:

2 cups chana dal, soaked overnight in 6 cups water
1/2 teaspoon yellow asafetida powder
1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
2 long green chilies, finely chopped
40 fresh curry leaves, torn
leaves from 1 small bunch of fresh coriander, finely chopped
2 teaspoons salt
oil or ghee for deep-frying

Drain the soaked dal and place it in a food processor along with the yellow asafetida powder and coriander powder. Process the dal, adding a few teaspoons of cold water, to form a fairly smooth paste.

Remove the blended mixture and place in a large bowl. Add the chopped chilies, curry leaves and fresh coriander leaves and combine well. Mix in the salt just before you are ready to start frying.

Heat the ghee or oil to a depth of no less than 2 inches in a large wok or pan over a moderately high heat. Take heaped tablespoons of the mixture and form them into balls. Carefully press them flat and make a slight depression in their center with your finger.

Continue forming the patties until all the mixture is used.When the ghee or oil is hot, carefully lower in enough patties that will fry comfortably without overcrowding. They will initially fry while sitting on the bottom of the frying vessel. Do not attempt to dislodge them for at least 2 minutes. After about 4-1/2 minutes, the patties will float to the surface of the oil. If they do stick on the bottom slightly, you can dislodge them easily with a slotted spoon after this time.

Fry the patties on both sides until golden-brown, about 7-1/2 minutes total frying time. Continue to fry the Gateaux-Piments in batches until they are all cooked. Serve hot with Home-style Tomato Chutney.. (Recipe follows).

Home-style Tomato Chutney:

3 Tablespoons oil
2-3 hot green chilies, seeded and sliced lengthways
5 cups coarsely-chopped tomatoes, about 2lb.
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons fresh coriander leaves

Place the oil over moderate heat in a 3 quart saucepan or frying pan. When the oil is hot, drop in the chilies, and fry them until they start to blister. Sprinkle in the yellow asafetida powder, saute' momentarily then drop in the chopped tomatoes.

Cook the tomatoes, stirring occasionally for 15-20 minute, or until they are broken down and soft. When the chutney is sufficiently thick and reduced, add the salt and fresh coriander leaves. Serve with the hot Gateaux-Piments

My question is - where do they get all that weird stuff?

Grasssmall
asafetida powder
Ghee

1319402137_86640c9dfb_o.jpg

" Gateaux-Piments"

Mauritian-style Dal Rissoles:

2 cups chana dal, soaked overnight in 6 cups water
1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
2 long green chilies, finely chopped
40 fresh curry leaves, torn
leaves from 1 small bunch of fresh coriander, finely chopped
2 teaspoons salt
oil or ghee for deep-frying

Drain the soaked dal and place it in a food processor along with the yellow asafetida powder and coriander powder. Process the dal, adding a few teaspoons of cold water, to form a fairly smooth paste.

Remove the blended mixture and place in a large bowl. Add the chopped chilies, curry leaves and fresh coriander leaves and combine well. Mix in the salt just before you are ready to start frying.

Heat the ghee or oil to a depth of no less than 2 inches in a large wok or pan over a moderately high heat. Take heaped tablespoons of the mixture and form them into balls. Carefully press them flat and make a slight depression in their center with your finger.

Continue forming the patties until all the mixture is used.When the ghee or oil is hot, carefully lower in enough patties that will fry comfortably without overcrowding. They will initially fry while sitting on the bottom of the frying vessel. Do not attempt to dislodge them for at least 2 minutes. After about 4-1/2 minutes, the patties will float to the surface of the oil. If they do stick on the bottom slightly, you can dislodge them easily with a slotted spoon after this time.

Fry the patties on both sides until golden-brown, about 7-1/2 minutes total frying time. Continue to fry the Gateaux-Piments in batches until they are all cooked. Serve hot with Home-style Tomato Chutney.. (Recipe follows).

Home-style Tomato Chutney:

3 Tablespoons oil
2-3 hot green chilies, seeded and sliced lengthways
5 cups coarsely-chopped tomatoes, about 2lb.
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons fresh coriander leaves

Place the oil over moderate heat in a 3 quart saucepan or frying pan. When the oil is hot, drop in the chilies, and fry them until they start to blister. Sprinkle in the yellow asafetida powder, saute' momentarily then drop in the chopped tomatoes.

Cook the tomatoes, stirring occasionally for 15-20 minute, or until they are broken down and soft. When the chutney is sufficiently thick and reduced, add the salt and fresh coriander leaves. Serve with the hot Gateaux-Piments

Asafetida [Hing] should always be fried very quickly in oil first, 2 seconds is enough, not critisising but i've not seen Hing/asafetida in chutney before..

Do you know asafetida/Hing is the gum from a tree native to Afghanistan, the purest hing comes in lump form, the cheaper more available comes ground mixed with rice flour..

Damn this thread is getting all artsy fartsy.

My meals are usually just fartsy.:D

Attachments

• IMG_6564.JPG
    IMG_6564.JPG
    199.7 KB · Views: 21
I skipped dinner tonight. Skipped lunch, too. I'm just not hungry I guess. I did eat a couple handfuls of baby cut carrots this afternoon.

I'll probably end up getting a big breakfast tomorrow morning. No work, tomorrow's job is postponed for a week and Saturday's job will get done without me.

I recently found out that our McDonalds drive thru is open 24 hrs, with breakfast starting a 4am. Damn, I never knew that.

BARF - NO MCD's - any place or any time - that food WILL make a ill

at 4 am - i perfer SLEEP

BARF - NO MCD's - any place or any time - that food WILL make a ill

at 4 am - i perfer SLEEP

Ok... put yourself in my shoes, here. I'm in a motel, no fridge, no microwave, and it's almost 11 PM. You've been going since before 6 AM, with no lunch, a light continental breakfast, and only water. ;)