What Did Ya'll Have For Dinner Tonight?

I love brussel sprouts too. I'll have to try your dish out when we get a decent batch in the markets.
I've been trying a lot of new dishes lately because I felt like I was in a cooking rut, it's been fun. Last night I made a vegetarian (clean out the fridge) chili. There is some kale in it which is a bit different but it turned out good. IMG_20210130_192923.jpg

Kale goes good with a lot of things.
It was the plant that kept the Vikings from dying of scurvy, because it is so extremely frost tolerant.
That along with Brussel sprouts and leeks are what we had before importing veggies was a thing.
The old sorts were way hardier than what is grown today, and way more bitter.
I read a study recently that found a correlation between the way we have bred our veggies to be milder tasting and cancer.
All the bitterness is basically poison, the plants self defence mechanism.
We used to eat it, simply for having no other choice and dealing with it would harden our bodies and immune systems.
Now those plants have been turned milder, so we don't get that and therefore are more prone to get cancer.
I find that quite interesting.

Today it'll be spaghetti and tomato sauce from the freezer.
I won't be able to drive a car for 5 weeks, good thing that I have a freezer full of food.:)

Interesting stig. I have a friend (originally from the Netherlands) here who is an avid gardener. He has multiple covered raised beds that he plants all sorts of leafy greens including a couple that he calls his winter beds...he's still harvesting Kale from them. Who would have thought that would work?

Interesting stig. I have a friend (originally from the Netherlands) here who is an avid gardener. He has multiple covered raised beds that he plants all sorts of leafy greens including a couple that he calls his winter beds...he's still harvesting Kale from them. Who would have thought that would work?

Eliot Coleman,

That is interesting.
When I retire, I plan to go much more into vegetable gardening and self sufficiency.
If I'm not totally crippled by then.

Retirement?!?! Not for me. Two more daughter's recently announced their wedding plans for March and August of 2022. I got off relatively easy with the first two; $15K and $10K. These two are planning much more extravagance. And then there's still two more after that! I'll be working until the day of my funeral.

Thank you ruel. Yes, we catch lots of shrimp for personal use. I can run up to 10 pots at a time. There is also a very lucrative (and tightly regulated) commercial pot shrimp fishery along with beam trawl.

No photo. Kabocha-ginger-curry soup and an egg fritter chock-full of chard, spinach, carrot greens (all growing in our hoop house), and three cheeses.

I did sorta wonder Austin, but the way you described the dinner had me guessing a bit :). So, if you don't mind, how do you use the squash in the grits? We eat grits quite a lot in our house, but this born and bred southern boy never heard of such.

Gottcha Burn,

I hope this link works and if not let me know and I will scan and send to you directly. Gotta keep the southern boys happy after all!

BTW, I ended up adding more grits to this to thicken it up. I may have left too much water in? You know what to do as a grit boy!

Last edited:
My son has gotten very creative in the last year and a 1/2, and tonight he did the main course: some kick-ass shrimp kabobs on the grill. The Mrs. followed up w/stir fried spinach, onions and garlic, and a quicky fried quinoa & rice. Not a speck left on anyone's plate or serving plate when finished. MMMmmmmm.

Last edited: