Welders? Any welders on this site?

That's how it's supposed to be, on a wood beam on top of the frame. Even on a straight frame you are supposed to do the wood thing. What's confusing me then is the dump hinge in between the frame rails?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It looks to me that the round bar is the hinge pin and the hinge is the frame rail. With the attachment on the outside of the frame rails with a piece of plate. I guess? Maybe?

I thought most hitches usually bolt to the bottom of the frame, on the bottom flange of the c channel. I'm not seeing a bottom flange there either.

Redneck special, we just call them bub up here. The c channel frame had plate welded on to make it a box. From the aft most crossmember to the end.

Putting a hitch is doable but it is going to take some fabricobble to get there. How strong does the hitch need to be?

Strong enough to tow 3500 lbs or so. not pulling anything huge, maybe a small boat and my pizza oven trailer

I could weld a plate across the back with a couple braces/gussets and call it a day. If you had desire/skill you could use tubing instead of the plate

I would think a heavy wall square tube welded to the frame rails with a receiver tube welded on would allow you to tow 3500lbs and still dump. And add a little strength and rigidity to the frame as a benefit.

If you still have the bottom flange of the c channel, a normal hitch should bolt up on it just fine. You will have to drill for it, but you should be fine then. The next question is how far does the bed stick out over the end of the frame?

The frame has been cut off a bit after the anchors of the leaf springs, if I understand it correctly. So, the C channel ending the frame is most likely gone and nothing sturdy left transversally to bold something on.

You could possibly add a chunk of heavy angle to the frame, which would give you a bottom flange to add a hitch. If they welded the frame all up, it would be safe to say that you could probably weld it without hurting it any more than it already is.

Not mine Kyle, belongs to a contractor I sub off of. It’s a beast air arc’n but it’s no SA 200 to weld with. They’re iron workers so, you know... He got it for 18k with 700 hrs on it. Even has 3 phase.

Yeah it’s heavy Cory. I think it has a 4BT Cummins.

Yeah Bob, thx for sharing that! Man that would easily run a house, and could run 052 no problem!!! Probably could push 064!

I am!
They are the BMG Scoops that needed a new cutting edge. The original is just 14ga folded over on to itself and being 14ga it needed some more metal at the edge. This is 3/16" x 2" A36 flat bar.

Back