Weird bucks

Or down I suppose!
Do you think that you were felling uphill prevented more breakage? (Less angle for it to fall, momentum etc)

"One blade wide" aint very wide imo for a tree that size!

Gerr, would you use gunning sticks on a monster like that? I would guess so if you are aiming a 250' tree into a 10' wide slot. Did it have just back lean, or side lean too. I'm guessing only back lean.

Re side lean, does redwood hinge well, like as good as D fir for example?

Nice tree, Matt. Wicked limb fall. Looks like it saved out pretty well. Guessing 5 or 6 bushel in that one? Cool shirt, too

Cory, I set the corners with a tape. After blocking out the face I used the sticks to verify. I could have jacked that tree, but Don (the boss) wanted to pull it

Here's a high rez image. My camera was set on a tripod across the gulch, over a hundred feet away. I used a remote control to trip the shutter.

groshon.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Golly that photo is so epic Jer. Yea it was a 5 bushel tree, it saved out pretty well. I hiked my next part of my strip today and it’s a whole bunch of spring board work. How long did it take to face that tree up?

Nice tree, Matt. Wicked limb fall. Looks like it saved out pretty well. Guessing 5 or 6 bushel in that one? Cool shirt, too

Cory, I set the corners with a tape. After blocking out the face I used the sticks to verify. I could have jacked that tree, but Don (the boss) wanted to pull it

Here's a high rez image. My camera was set on a tripod across the gulch, over a hundred feet away. I used a remote control to trip the shutter.

View attachment 132789
3 huge saws in that pic, how did you carry them all?

View attachment 132789
legend has it, the earth is still shaking!

damn thats a nice job there, but I certainly don't wish we had those nice big trees here, anything over 4-5ft DBH makes me nervous

. My camera was set on a tripod across the gulch, over a hundred feet away. I used a remote control to trip the shutter.

View attachment 132789
Perfect framing on that shot.

It must take a while just to cut the springboard holes. I see one of em is fairly close to under the hinge but I guess not too close.

Still curious how well redwood hinges!

Wicked limb fall indeed on Matts tree, wow!

Trying to save time I cut the spring board notches before the lay was built. Guesstimating where the corners would be. It was close.

Blocking out the face took about two hours, Matt. And not without help of a big fellow from Oregon by the name of John Welsh. I worked for John one season in the Sierra. Big trees, long ground and no brush. Cutting 30 to 50 bushel a day and making $250 to 300. Epic story there.

John Ciro could've put that tree in the lay in half the time I did, I'm sure of that. But I wanted to take my time and record it.

The Cat carried all the saws (everything) up hill to that tree.

Another thing, a week before I fell that tree I climbed and rigged it, plus another tree the same day, about the same size, too.

Lot of work and not that much pay. Both trees were more rotten than good. Damn it all anyway.

But the pictures helped make High Climbers and Timber Fallers what it is, and that ended up paying me more in long run anyway. Funny how things all worked out.

man that’s amazing, I love hearing all the stories. I’m going to be channeling my inner Beranek and Ciro this next week. Big wood on steep ground. Not sure how it will all save out having to side hill it all. Might just lose another 5lbs this week. I do wish you could come double jack with me Jer.

It’s a great book, HCTF. Reading it almost makes your palms sweaty, the air turns into 2stroke smoke, and sawdust. I recommend it to everyone, great stories of huge wood, ‘colorful’ men slinging saws of epic proportions, tons of rigging on the ground and aloft. To quote Jim “real hairy chested manly shit”.

A lot of parks and trails on the Mendocino coast. Excellent trails, big second-growth, steep ground, but the grade is easy, 3 to 6 miles a day not a problem for me, and Ibuprofen.

Today I am surely not fit enough, steady enough to work and run up and down and across that steep ground. Jack be nimble avoiding limb-fall, and jumping from log to log with a backpack, saw, axe, wedges gas and oil. On to the next tree!

I'll bet I burned 3,000 calories a day back then. A real burning machine. Today I pack the calories on instead.

Sure wish I could join you on the slopes, Matt. Thank you.

A guy could dream, haha. We’ll shoot I feel like the fallers in high climbers asking Jer to come take picks. Walked down to the other side of my strip and I have some dandy’s in there. I think I’ll get over 30 bushel for a few days. Finally had a win and got 20 bushel yesterday.

Attachments

• IMG_4170.jpeg
    IMG_4170.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4168.jpeg
    IMG_4168.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 11
Back