Wanting a new bar

By "bottom around the sprocket", do you mean the nose end or the tail at the rim? The nose would be a little more surprising to me assuming it all looks good, but it could possibly be fixed with a new tip.

edit:
lay the bar on a piece of glass to check for bends/twists.

If you lay it on the ground in a few different places I’ll see maybe a 1/16in of being off where I can tap each end of the bar and get a Little Rock on a level surface. It’s by the tail of the rim. Was dropping a large diameter dead oak last week and I could be in a good clean level cut And see the chain wanting to walk off the bar. When I would go to remove the saw from the cut, the chain would be on the side of the bar instead of in the groove

I have a full comp for the saw as a back up, guess next time I’ll put that on and see if it does the same thing. She got abused in a lot of dirty wood cutting down all the stumps from when we craned 25 trees over an apartment building a few weeks ago

Once a chain gets thrown, it can booger up the drivelinks, and it'll want to throw more. A brand new chain would be a good test.

Matt, flip the bar over and see if that helps. If so, then the bar may be slightly bent by the tail. Chuck it up in a bench vise and carefully bend it back.

@TINYHULK your chain might be a bit long. Ideally the end of the bar should be very close to the sprocket...the longer the gap the higher the tendency to throw chains. Some times you need to remove a link of chain to get it closer to the sprocket. This is especially important when running longer bars (like the 36 on your saw).

Last edited:
I may be suggesting something sort of teaching to suck eggs but...
Are you holding/supporting the tip of the bar when you do your final tighten? If not it WILL walk up when you go to cut and put just a little slack in the system.

On the topic of bars. We have a 661 with a 36in bar. Bar is only a few months old, seen a hard life with the last couple jobs it was used on. Chain is new and bar chain tension has been good but it seems to throw the chain off the bar on the bottom around the sprocket. I’ll come off throttle and it keeps falling off the bar just right there. Any ideas? I have a bar file and have gone over it and seems fairly true and straight but I can’t get it to stop rolling off the bar

Have you changed the sprocket?

Bars should go for years, unless your logging full time.

Pictures always help.

Please explain your tensioning method.

Sugihara bars are not light weight in my experience, and Tsumura bars seem to have bad nose sprockets in Stig's experience. Archer brand bars, or any less common brand of bar is usually very poor quality.

I may be suggesting something sort of teaching to suck eggs but...
Are you holding/supporting the tip of the bar when you do your final tighten? If not it WILL walk up when you go to cut and put just a little slack in the system.
I used to do that, but now I leave the bar down to reduce the chance of the chain jumping. I have not had problems with the bar moving back up and slacking the chain, except occasionally on small saws that only have 1 bar nut.

@biggun yeah right before it started doing this a chain got stretched so far it wouldn’t run right. Put a new bearing, sprocket, and (newish) chain on it. Shortly after I did this the chain started wanting to throw itself off.

@SeanKroll I do the normal tightening method. Lift bar nose, tighten chain until it makes full contact with bottom of bar, tighten front but first then back. I always hand spin, run the chain, and double check the tension before I go cutting

@biggun yeah right before it started doing this a chain got stretched so far it wouldn’t run right. Put a new bearing, sprocket, and (newish) chain on it. Shortly after I did this the chain started wanting to throw itself off.

@SeanKroll I do the normal tightening method. Lift bar nose, tighten chain until it makes full contact with bottom of bar, tighten front but first then back. I always hand spin, run the chain, and double check the tension before I go cutting
Easy rule of thumb. "No sag, no drag."

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You can always give eBay a try!

Mostly, I find out of stock after attempting a purchase. They often don't tell you until late in the game. I'll check your link.

Back