Wanting a new bar

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
72.99 for an ES here B. One in stock.
Thats not the light bar

Thanks very much for checking, Stephen. I hope you didn't go out of your way.

But I think you may be mistaken...I believe the ES is the light bar. The E is the standard weight, I'm pretty sure. If your shop has an ES, 20 inch, 3/8 pitch, .050 gauge for that price...let me drop you a PM in a bit :).

STIHL ROLLOMATIC® ES Light Guide Bar | STIHL USA

Here's the standard bar, the E.

STIHL ROLLOMATIC® E Standard Guide Bar | STIHL USA

Last edited:
Yea, The ES is a solid milled bar with a replaceable tip. It's a "yellow" bar with a broad nose. The light version is the same thing, but has pockets milled out and filled with epoxy to save weight. The E is laminated, and considered a "green" bar with a smaller nose.

After this discussion, I had to go look at my fleet and see what I remembered vs. what is actually on them :).

The 200 and 200T have the standard weight E. Looks like, from the StihlUSA website, that's the only choice there.
The 361, 044, and 064 all have the standard weight ES...the bar Stephen found at his local shop. I reckon I've lumped the E and the ES together, in my mind.

Still thinking I'll look for an ES light..but perhaps the Sugihara light. If and when I can find one at a semi-reasonable cost :). At least I'm not in real need of it at this time.

Thank you, John, for helping out with getting me oriented on this.

Last edited:
Stihl Light is way lighter than Sugihara. They are incredibly light. I'm just too cheap to buy myself any. I know I won't buy another Sugi because there was little or no weight savings compared to a regular ES bar, but the balance was a couple inches back.

I have noted your assertion to this point, @Nutball. I was interested to see that in actual specs from both Stihl and Sugihara, it seems like I saw that the weights are, if not identical, at least fairly close. I better go back and research some more :).

The guy at the saw shop would not even look up the ES light for me thinking once he spouted off an over 100.00 bar, I would wince and walk. Not my favorite worker there either. He don't like me much either. I reported him for being a tool to the owner(s) when he lost his temper at me while I was trying to help him locate some paper work that was shuffled about on one of my orders. Got in my face and with certain expletives basically told me to fug off and that I don't know what I was talking about. When all I was suggesting was that he check with one owner that had the paper work and was looking into some thing for me. Since then, he tries not to be of any assistance. But knows better than to completely blow me off. So he was going to pass the buck onto the guy that does the ordering. LOL
They just are not used to dealing with professionals.
Still need to call the dudes in Oakhurst. Just been behind the eight ball B

Don't go an inch out of your way to chase it, Stephen. Only if or when it's at your convenience, completely.

I'm finding a pretty definitive number for the Stihl...2.1 pounds. The Sugihara is proving more elusive :).

I know where one sits, not too far from me...maybe I could get that shop to weigh it. $125...cheaper than the Stihl ES light. But still spendy, to my mind.

Baileys says 2.1#, but online specs regarding weight are suspect ime.

edit:
Found a Sugihara catalog that lists it at 2.36#, but that's .063 gauge

Last edited:
Baileys says 2.1#, but online specs regarding weight are suspect ime.

edit:
Found a Sugihara catalog that lists it at 2.36#, but that's .063 gauge
Gauge shouldn't matter for big saw bars as some .050 chain drive links are still .063 where the tie straps attach, and it's such a small difference that it shouldn't affect the bar width or weight. One could argue less weight due to a wider groove, or more weight due to an overall wider bar. My 32" Sugi, which is .063, weighs 68.0oz, vs 75.0oz for a .050 32" Stihl ES (non light), so only 10% lighter. Stihl light is supposed to be 20 or 30% lighter. My Sugi has a balance point only 1" behind the CG of the Stihl. Sugi only lightened the front half of this bar. I imagine they would lighten the full length of a 20", but their method includes milling small cavities only part way through parts of the bar, while Stihl replaces a much larger volume of bar with lighter material.

Last edited:
Translation weirdness. He wants to know the best setup for ripping. IMO, bar doesn't matter. For chain, I use regular crosscut chain, but slowly bring the top plate in to about 5° as I regularly sharpen it. For noodling(cutting with the grain, and pulling very long strips of wood/chips), you might want to mod a clutch cover to give more clearance for ejecting the noodles. A previously crushed donor saw would be a good candidate.

Oregon versacut will be fine for your use.
That is a lightweight, which is what us old farts should be using.
We can't get bars either.
Fortunately my dealer warned me, so we stocked up in december.

@stig, is this the one you posted recommendation for? I looked about some earlier, but struck out for finding one in stock, but this place does seem to have them. Free shipping to me, too. Best price for any light bar I've found, no matter what the brand...let alone that it's apparently in stock.

200VXLHD025 Oregon VersaCut 20" guide Bar 3/8 pitch .050 gauge 72 driv | Loggerchain - Frawleys Saw Shop

Anyone done business with these folks, by chance?

Woodworkingboy replaced his milling setup's clutch cover, using a spacer and bar nuts to clamp the bar, IIRC.

@stig, is this the one you posted recommendation for? I looked about some earlier, but struck out for finding one in stock, but this place does seem to have them. Free shipping to me, too. Best price for any light bar I've found, no matter what the brand...let alone that it's apparently in stock.

200VXLHD025 Oregon VersaCut 20" guide Bar 3/8 pitch .050 gauge 72 driv | Loggerchain - Frawleys Saw Shop

Anyone done business with these folks, by chance?

Yep, that is the one.
Some 70 grammes heavier than Stihl ( I put both on the kitchen scale) and doesn't last as long.
But with the hours you run saws, that is simply not much of an issue.
They are half price of the Stihl ES light bars here and last more than half as long, so I buy them.

Back