Wanting a new bar

Burnham

Woods walker
I've been shopping for a replacement 20 inch bar for my MS361. I am really running into limited availability for a stock oem Rollomatic E. I'd also thought that I'd look at the lightweight version...even less available and the cost is over the moon in any event.

So I'm looking for options and advice.
Thanks.

Oregon Power Match plus. Not the best but good enough considering you aren’t running a saw full time so it should last a good long while.

Oregon versacut will be fine for your use.
That is a lightweight, which is what us old farts should be using.
We can't get bars either.
Fortunately my dealer warned me, so we stocked up in december.

How much is expensive? Baileys has a Sugi for $95. Their WoodlandPro brand(Taiwanese) with a replaceable sprocket is $60 without a chain, or $70 with a Carlton chain(my suggestion). I've never used these bars on a big saw, but I love them on my small saws.

edit:
The search I made...

I’m still waiting on Bailey’s to ship bars I ordered 3/9/22 that were in stock.

Why not a Stihl ES bar? Few bucks more that the laminated E bars, but they’re tough.

I hear good things about Japanese bars. Tsumara and Sugi Hara I think. I need a 24” or 25” and think I’ll try one of those. Probably solid steel, I’m unsure of durability of lightweight bars.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Why not a Stihl ES bar? Few bucks more that the laminated E bars, but they’re tough.

I hear good things about Japanese bars. Tsumara and Sugi Hara I think. I need a 24” or 25” and think I’ll try one of those. Probably solid steel, I’m unsure of durability of lightweight bars.

Not available in my area shops, Jonny...the ES bar, I mean. And they currently are listed at quite a bit more than the E bars...like 40% more...$145+ for a 20 inch bar.

Last edited:
Just to let y'all know the sort of prices I'm seeing in the two local shops for 20 inch bars in stock.

First choice shop for me due to long association, only one 20 inch bar in stock, a Carlton standard weight for $65.

Second choice shop, two 20 inch bars in stock...Sugihara lightweight for $125. Carlton standard weight for $85.

Prices for loops is high too. 72 driver full skip full chisel Stihl for $35.

Same chain loop here is now $48aud, so probably comparable. Used to be like $33-35

Hitting out of stock almost all places online for the Sugihara and Tsumara lightweight bars...if they have them, they want lots of money :).

Those prices on Carlton bars seem very high, but it’s been a while since I’ve shopped for bars.

Stihl chain is always pricy, I usually buy Oregon chain and I’m happy enough with it, but Stihl cutters seem noticeably harder and take longer to dull from cutting clean wood. In the end, for the time you get out of them, it’s probably worth it to buy Stihl chains, I’m just frugal.

Last reel I bought from the dealer was $340. I think that's very reasonable. I wouldn't really consider anything but a Stihl bar on my Stihl saws. Maybe if I had small Stihls, I'd consider swapping an E for a Sugi or something, but imo, the ES(lights) are unmatched for the price.

On the topic of bars. We have a 661 with a 36in bar. Bar is only a few months old, seen a hard life with the last couple jobs it was used on. Chain is new and bar chain tension has been good but it seems to throw the chain off the bar on the bottom around the sprocket. I’ll come off throttle and it keeps falling off the bar just right there. Any ideas? I have a bar file and have gone over it and seems fairly true and straight but I can’t get it to stop rolling off the bar

Not available in my area shops, Jonny...the ES bar, I mean. And they currently are listed at quite a bit more than the E bars...like 40% more...$145+ for a 20 inch bar.
I can check my saw shop close and see whats shelved. Half the time yhey have no clue. You have a part number or what saw its for B?

Back