Wagnaw moves to Illinois

• Thread starter Wagnaw
  • Start date
  • Replies 72
  • Views 6K
W

Wagnaw

So, here I am in a state I never really thought much about before. I'm working for the ISA making educational DVD/CDROMs that go along with the Certified Arborist Study Guide.
Mandi and I arrived last night, and we put together our apartment today. After we got everything together, I took some pictures. Here's a link to an album with the pics.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2006214&l=51060&id=186400401

There are also a bunch of trees that I don't recognize. You all will have to help me figure out what they are until I get a book or something. Here's two pics of what I think is maybe a mature Kentucky coffee tree. The second two are a type of maple, but I have no clue what it is.

Attachments

• Day One (14).JPG
    Day One (14).JPG
    102.1 KB · Views: 9
  • Day One (15).JPG
    Day One (15).JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 8
  • Day One (18).JPG
    Day One (18).JPG
    118.9 KB · Views: 9
  • Day One (19).JPG
    Day One (19).JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 8
Nice digs. You guys should have fun there. I like the his and her skateboards.

Whassup with the stairs? After market fire escape?

n186400401_30182588_8901.jpg

Yo Wagnaw, the first tree looks like Linden, the second maybe Morus?

How'd you land that gig?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I came across the ad in an issue of Arborist News from a while back, and I figured what the heck and applied. Turns out I was "well qualified." :roll:

Linden? Really?? Take a look at the bark. The bark is what makes me think coffee tree. I don't think it's a linden though.

ohh... and I've had that long board since I was in middle school. :D I love that thing. The other is a great short board for concrete parks, which I heard they have a little concrete around here.

Whassup with the stairs? After market fire escape?

n186400401_30182588_8901.jpg

Yeah, I think it was made as a fire escape, but I've been using it as the main entrance. It comes right up from the lil' parking lot around back. The place is pretty nice. ...just a little sub-let I found it on Craigslist. The big copper beach out front was what sold me on it.

I saw the fruit and leaves that made me think Linden. Gymnocladus has bipinnate (I think thats the word) leaves.
The second one looks like it may be paired opposite buds, might even be an oddball Acer?

the first one I think hackberry. The second one the trunk looks like chestnut bark and basswood limbs. so the second tree i'll guess is a chestnut. got me stumped.

The second one looks like it may be paired opposite buds, might even be an oddball Acer?

The second one is definitely an odd ball acer. No doubt about it, but it's has really thick shag bark. I'm gonna track down a local tree book this week for sure.

I forgot to add that I ran into Micheal Poor today too! You all have probably seen his big Ol' knuckle boom rig on the treebuzz. Yeah, I ran into him at a coffee shop. He and his son were riding around on skateboards, and while I was checking out their boards, he noticed the Charlotte TCC shirt I was wearing. Small world huh? I got a business card from him, so maybe I'll have some weekend work while I'm here.

no hackberry here that I know of, I havent seen one in person to be able to ID it at a glance.

The Maple kinda looks like an Acer Saccharum >>> a sugar, because of the long plated bark & thick looking leaves ?
Cool pix, John. Let us know what you learn of the local trees.
:)

The first I was thinking Hackberry as well.
1st & second pic are Hackberry's. Not a tree I want next to my house. Not here in Ks.
The main crotch in most are weak with severe V with mature ones having bark inclusion, if they last that long.
Makes great fire wood, is straight grained, no problem splitting most 8"-10" pieces with just an axe.
The limb wood on this tree can be counted on to peel.

The Maple kinda looks like an Acer Saccharum >>> a sugar, because of the long plated bark & thick looking leaves ?
Cool pix, John. Let us know what you learn of the local trees.
:)
That's exactly what I was thinking, just a really bigass sugar maple.

So, here I am in a state I never really thought much about before. I'm working for the ISA making educational DVD/CDROMs that go along with the Certified Arborist Study Guide.

I used some of those CDROM's to study with. Very basic stuff to most here I'm sure, but I found them extremely helpful for a novice like myself and passed the C.A. exam easily afterwards. 8)

So make sure you do a good job on the ones you're working on!:D

I'm using the CA audio CDROM. I have the Tree ID and Pruning DVDs but haven't used them yet.

You studying for the exam or just to brush up a bit?

I used every study resource I could get my hands on.

You studying for the exam or just to brush up a bit?

I used every study resource I could get my hands on.

I'm studying for the exam... kinda. I know I need to get it done but I'm lollygagging. I'm studying lots of stuff too. I spend a lot more time than I should on pruning... but that's what I like doing the most.

Pruning to me is always just a compromise as to what the customer requires of the tree. Whether it be size limitation, controlling liability or what not. And I'm referring to mature trees not training young trees, I don't think anyone thinks about that around here.

Wagnaw = Andrew......

Yo, when is the first day at work? Are you a stunt double in the videos?

Back