Vertical filing.

Magnus

TreeHouser
You see me say this from time to time and I talked about this a lot lately.
Snapped a couple pics today So I thought I post them here and copy paste some text:
CIMG4601.JPG

Left cutter:

CIMG4603.JPG

Right cutter:

CIMG4605.JPG

https://www.masterblasterhome.com/showthread.php?21341-Hand-Filing-Free-hand

I file vertical so its a lot easier to see and control angles and files position in tooth. There is no limit to how good it can get. If you are content in what you have then you stop learning and develop a finer skill. Most pro's I have here can't file very well and I do it for them. Same go for the machine operators.

Chains are best the second half ast they have better saw dust space. Keep riders high about 0,5mm you have a chance to get chain to last a bit longer.
File often. As soon as you notice you lost a bit cutting speed you file. Always stay sharp. If you wait and need more than two, three strokes you get behind the tempered zone of cutter and loose durability.
Low rider is often low as compensation of a dull tooth. Its not good and increase wear, risks, vibrations, fuel costs, efficiency and actually cut slower if you time it.

Corner! Thats were the cutting start and the shape of it will decide result. Even if its razor sharp the shape will decide durance. More beek, less runtime.
I have them more.

Keep file clean. One stroke, turn file half a turn so you don't push crap in file, file tooth, wipe and repete. No need for bruches or washing constantlt then. But when file is dirty, you wash it. When it gets dull dip it in apple cider vinegar and was it again. It eats of the burr on the files cutters. I have over 200 filings on my best file so far. Vibrations dull files so keep it steady, slow and let it cut as it should. Its a cutting tool, not grinding tool. Vertical you have better control and sight. Its closer to you and as your arm move more natural it won't get that bow movement you get if you are over chain when filing. Fix tooth so it is still with two fingers.

Look like a bit harder wood you cut. I would have less angle, around 20-25 degrees, you look closer to 35 degrees.
Your dust look broken rather than small. Usually this happen when riders are too low for wood to curl up nicely in cutter.

Look in side view, profile of tooth you see the shape of cutter.
You are too low in gullet and need to have file placed Higher in tooth. Easier to control if you file vertical.
You want less beek, More like ( than C or any other better way to explain it...
The closer it is to 90 degrees from bar the stronger it gets and the harder it gets to get sharp.

The key is not in how thin it is its the sharpness. Thin compensate for sharpness but loose in durability.

When you get it sharp and you feel how it cuts better in every way you should try to strive to keep it that way and never ever loose sharpness. As soon as you notice its not as good as it was you file, it can always get better.

Its smaller steps later when you done it good, but it just get better if you look for things to improve.
With hand filing you can easily adapt your filing to wood, saw, work method chain brands and models.
Its the interest that decide how far you get.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I file a lot by hand and I enjoy doing it. I like the fact that there is always more to learn and improve.
I try everything I hear of and sometimes come up with something on my own.
Most day's its 5-10 filings, other day's its 50. Its very rare I go a day without filing.

Good info ! Any reason you like the rakers (riders,stops) at .5mm or about .019 for us guys from USA not using metric system ? Most run the stock setting of .65mm or .026 ... only about 2 hair thickness variations but sometimes little things make BIG difference!

50 a day?
I can't say that I'm reluctant at it, but somewhat I'm desperate when I have more than two to file:D
Makes me think that I have something to do, today my saw found two stones in a thuya stump:whine:

Vertical? That's more like 45 degrees... the same angle I use when I don't have a vise and prop it against something. I was wondering how it was done "vertically," lol.

50 is a lot of filings. I don't mind sharpening chains as part of the cutting routine, but I get tired of it if it's constant. I got a lot of my sharpening experience cutting some dirt sticks on the boss' farm. There was wood in the middle of the dirt and rocks, but it took awhile getting through them. It was literally three cuts before I had to resharpen in a lot of cases. Tiresome, but I got a lot of experience quick doing that stuff.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Good info ! Any reason you like the rakers (riders,stops) at .5mm or about .019 for us guys from USA not using metric system ? Most run the stock setting of .65mm or .026 ... only about 2 hair thickness variations but sometimes little things make BIG difference!
They cut smoother, produce less heat, fill up the tooth better and don't wear as much.
50 a day?
I can't say that I'm reluctant at it, but somewhat I'm desperate when I have more than two to file:D
Makes me think that I have something to do, today my saw found two stones in a thuya stump:whine:
I sometimes file at nights too when I can't sleep..
Vertical? That's more like 45 degrees... the same angle I use when I don't have a vise and prop it against something. I was wondering how it was done "vertically," lol.
This in the stand were I do filing without saw as you can see. Do you file without saw too?
When I file on saw it is almost vertical. I put pics up some years ago of that..
50 is a lot of filings. I don't mind sharpening chains as part of the cutting routine, but I get tired of it if it's constant. I got a lot of my sharpening experience cutting some dirt sticks on the boss' farm. There was wood in the middle of the dirt and rocks, but it took awhile getting through them. It was literally three cuts before I had to resharpen in a lot of cases. Tiresome, but I got a lot of experience quick doing that stuff.
I did chains for a crew that cut stump cubes for measuring energy content.. THAT was a challenge!

Its not so often I do 50 a day any more, but sometimes they come with a box with hundred chains or so and "call when they are done"...
I do as best I can and sometimes they get them anter two day's, sometimes two weeks..
Its mostly 2-10/day when customer comes...
A harvester here go on chains I file. When he ran full time I did 10-12 a week for him.
He said he reduced diesel about 20% as he lowered pressure quite a bit. He swears he'll never run mashine ground again, but we'll see..

Back